Deciding on a mid-range guitar amp/effect modeling floorboard

• Thread starter McBrain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McBrain

Reaction score
I have a pedalboard with a Boss ES-5 and a Strymon Iridium, that I’m really happy with for clean to low/medium gain stuff. I only play at home and run it through headphones, desktop speakers and my Powercab+.

I then got an Amptweaker Tightmetal JR and paired it up with my C.A.B. M hoping that would cover my high gain needs. I used to own a Mooer Preamp Live and was actually pretty happy with it. I hated the build in power amp sims and instead used the C.A.B. M for that purpose. But even with the new C.A.B. PLUS (beta) I’m just not as happy with the sound I’m getting from the Tightmetal. I have a hard time controlling the noise and there is just way too much low end. I can to some degree control the noise and dial out the low end with the EQ/power amp/enhancer and noise gate in the C.A.B M, but I’m just not that happy with the tones I’m getting.

I was originally planning on buying the Tightmetal Pro II, but got tired of waiting and got the JR instead. The TM Pro II is still not out, I don’t really want to spend more time and money on getting the Depth Finder and maybe a different overdrive/boost pedal (I’m using an EQD Dunes at the moment) to try and get the sound I want, so … I have now put the TM JR and C.A.B. M up for sale.

The plan is to replace them with a multi amp/effects board for my metal needs. If I can also use it for other stuff then great, but since I already have that covered, the main focus is clean and high gain. I already have a bunch of IR’s that I love, so build in cab sims are not that important.

The amp/power amp sims (and build in noise gates)will have to be good though and the effects will have to be at least OK. I’ve never been a fan of the high gain tones from the Helix (so I’m not interested in the Pod GO) and I don’t really want to spend too much money on this, since it’s not my main setup. Hardware solutions only, so also no plugins or other stuff where I have to use my computer.

Right now I’m looking at the Mooer GE250 and the Hotone Ampero, but I can’t decide which one to get. I’ve listened to a lot of Youtube clips and they both sound great with 3rd party IRs. The Ampero doesn’t have midi out, so I can’t control my Powercab with it, but since I will probably have it on the FRFR setting for 4x12 cab sounds most of the time, I guess it’s not a dealbreaker. The GE250 has an fx loop, but if it adds as much latency as the one on the Preamp Live, I won’t use it anyway. Also the plan is to use it as a standalone unit.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I own a Tight Metal Jr and Pro, both with the Depth Finder mod, and the Pro is a totally different beast. I can get tones I like with either, but the Pro is a lot easier to dial in and you can do a lot more with it. If you're okay with its core tone, I think the Pro is worth a try.

I'm surprised you can't tame the lows with a boost, post eq, and the tight switch.

Have you looked into the KSR Ceres? In demos it sounds super tight and would pair well with your current setup if you don't want to go full digital.

McBrain

Reaction score
I own a Tight Metal Jr and Pro, both with the Depth Finder mod, and the Pro is a totally different beast. I can get tones I like with either, but the Pro is a lot easier to dial in and you can do a lot more with it. If you're okay with its core tone, I think the Pro is worth a try.

I'm surprised you can't tame the lows with a boost, post eq, and the tight switch.

Have you looked into the KSR Ceres? In demos it sounds super tight and would pair well with your current setup if you don't want to go full digital.

Thanks. Problem was that when I got the low end where I wanted it, then the sound was way too clanky for my liking. I've spend hours trying to make it work.

I will consider buying the Pro-II when it comes out. I'm hoping it can sound good without power amp simulation, since I really want to get rid of the C.A.B. M. The Ceres is sold out everywhere at the moment. Also I wish it had a built in noise gate.

I may try again with analog pedals at some point, but I think the digital route is the safest bet right now. I just need to figure out what to buy.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
You might check out the HX Stomp if you can swing the extra cash from what the Mooer would cost. The 5150 model is pretty good, and it's more than capable for mid-gain and cleans too. Stereo FX loop, balanced and unbalanced outputs, midi control, etc. Not to mention all of the effects, general tweakability, and IR loading :D

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Thanks. Problem was that when I got the low end where I wanted it, then the sound was way too clanky for my liking. I've spend hours trying to make it work.
I solved that problem using the Savage Drive. It lets you dial in as much tightness and clank as you want. Did you try an EQ pedal in front? That might you give the sculpting you need.

I'll second the Theta recommendation. It's a drier tone than the TMP but excellent in its own right, and super versatile. It has a built in boost and the built in decimator is excellent.

I wouldn't count out James, but I'm gonna wager the cab sim in the version 2 won't be too amazing. Built in cab sims usually are lacking in my experience.

McBrain

Reaction score
I solved that problem using the Savage Drive. It lets you dial in as much tightness and clank as you want. Did you try an EQ pedal in front? That might you give the sculpting you need.

I'll second the Theta recommendation. It's a drier tone than the TMP but excellent in its own right, and super versatile. It has a built in boost and the built in decimator is excellent.

I wouldn't count out James, but I'm gonna wager the cab sim in the version 2 won't be too amazing. Built in cab sims usually are lacking in my experience.

Will definitely check out the ISP Theta if I see a used one at a fair price.

McBrain

Reaction score
Headrush Gigboard.

I'm not that impressed with the amp sounds I hear on Youtube. The effects sound good though. I also wasn't a fan of the high gain sounds in the old Eleven Rack.

McBrain

Reaction score
Took me a while, but finally decided to order one of these yesterday. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

KSR-Ceres.jpg

rokket2005

Reaction score
Did you try different cabs on the two notes? What cabs were you using? That's going to have a way bigger result on the sound than changing the preamp.

McBrain

Reaction score
Did you try different cabs on the two notes? What cabs were you using? That's going to have a way bigger result on the sound than changing the preamp.

I have hundreds of different IR's (plus the cabs from Two Notes) and I know all about how much an IR can change the sound. But I don't agree with you that different cabs will "have a way bigger result on the sound than changing the preamp". My experience is that preamps and IR's are about equally important. I tried many many different cab models, power amp settings, eq settings etc. and I could not get the sound I wanted from the TM jr. Just as important, I could not dial out the sound I didn't want from it. Also I sold the TM jr. several weeks ago, so not much I can do about it now anyway.

Last edited:

sleewell

Reaction score
well over a year in and i could not be more happy with my helix LT. it just does more than i could ever imagine and sounds really good.