Depression and Guitar Playing

• Thread starter Discoqueen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Does that mean that he buys what's trendy and what he's sold, even though the same sound and playability can be accomplished for a tenth of the price?

Makes sense to me!
No it doesn't. Drew is a great dude and I'm pretty sure he just does whatever the fuck he wants. :cheers:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Reaction score
The fact that you're able to recognize the delusions means that you're definitely healing so the path you're taking is probably the right one for you.

I just want to make it very clear that I'm not dismissing anyone's experience. If the pills are helping, great. I just wanted to make it very clear that the pills are a crutch that 99% of patients shouldn't need for more than a few months at a time, worst case scenario. I'm not saying that everyone will heal completely by adopting some daily practices that simulate natural life. I know there are some very sick people out there that need drugs to survive but even they would benefit greatly from following the advice that I posted above.

I guess I need to point out that I never recommended that OP or anyone should stop taking their meds based solely upon my advice.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm a primitive anarchist at heart and believe that Nature has a better plan than humans will ever be able to devise so I firmly believe that vaccinations devolve us and that vaccinating will likely be what creates the supervirus that kills us all.
Bingo. Anti-vaxxer. You guys are so predictable. "Do your research," of course, means ignore all the research done by all the people who actually ARE experts in this stuff and have dedicated their lives to studying it, and instead trust your gut, and a few websites with official-sounding names that get most of their revenue by selling dietary supplements, right? :lol:

Does that mean that he buys what's trendy and what he's sold, even though the same sound and playability can be accomplished for a tenth of the price?

Makes sense to me!
Nah, it means Flex has known me for a long, long, time, and we enjoy busting each other's balls. Barring a brief Marshall period in college I've played Mesas for maybe fifteen or sixteen years because nothing else sounds the same, and while my Suhr Modern is comparatively "new" at only four years, it was chosen mostly because at the time that was one of the few ways I could get a superstrat seven string with an ash or alder body and a maple neck, and I'd have done that a good ten years before if I could have afforded to. But that's neither here nor there. :)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I guess I need to point out that I never recommended that OP or anyone should stop taking their meds based solely upon my advice.
THANK YOU. That's really all that needs to be said here. If you want to try alternative approaches to combating depression on top of antidepression meds and/or therapy, by all means. However, these are treatment plans that have been scientifically proven to work, with depression treatment failure usually ends in self-harm, and encouraging people to go off the reservation without consulting with your doctor, or even creating the impression that you're encouraging people to do so, is EXTREMELY dangerous.

Seriously, I'm all for encouraging people to eat better and get more exercise anyway. But, that's not a clinically proven treatment for depression.

Reaction score
Some people jump into conclusions by reading what is not written. They only need a different point of view to box a subject into their own charts. What's the need for that? That kind of behavior is responsible for creating depression on other people.

Please treat each other as unique and without prejudice/bias/preconception/prejudgement... also, PLEASE do not judge other's choices or beliefs. That's the path to rage... and depression and all that shit. Give each other the benefit of doubt, try not to assume what is not said... that's the path to the dark side, it ain't stronger, only faster on getting shit done, literally... huuummm, that one came out weird...

Ernesto

Reaction score
If you want to try alternative approaches to combating depression on top of antidepression meds and/or therapy, by all means.

It's apparent that you didn't actually read my posts before commenting on them. That's a shame.

Regarding the quoted statement above, while someone is on the pills, their body is incapable of retraining itself to regulate the neurochemicals naturally so it's necessary to try getting off of the pills and see how they do once they've been practicing the holistic practices for a while.

Taking psyche meds is very similar to MDMA abuse in that the body becomes dependent upon it. If you artificially dump dopamine into your system constantly by taking MDMA regularly, the body stops producing the dopamine because it's getting it externally. When MDMA addicts go clean, they are usually very depressed for a long time afterwards.

The way I've helped others get off the meds is by having them practice the holistic treatments while they are able to due to the artificial relief that the meds provide. Once they've adapted the anti-depression lifestyle and it becomes habit, I have them ask their doctors to slowly wean them off of the pills and monitor how they feel as the dosages are reduced. Once they're off of the meds, if the depression comes back at an unmanageable level, I definitely recommend that they go to the doc and get back on the regimen. It can take a few months, or even years of repeating this process, but I have a 100% success rate.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I could post hundreds of links to accredited studies that prove the points I made here
Then do so. Your points don't mean anything if you don't back them up with something. If you're in the position of challenging established/accepted ideas, then you gatta back it up with something or nobody will believe you.

If you had any idea what you're talking about, I'd take the time to address your points.
Again, if you're going to make the argument, then might as well go all in. "I could prove you wrong... but I won't" clearly isn't helpful in any conversation.

government funded indoctrination centers
Also, saying stuff like this doesn't do you any favors.

Ernesto

Reaction score
Then do so. Your points don't mean anything if you don't back them up with something. If you're in the position of challenging established/accepted ideas, then you gatta back it up with something or nobody will believe you.

Again, if you're going to make the argument, then might as well go all in. "I could prove you wrong... but I won't" clearly isn't helpful in any conversation.

Also, saying stuff like this doesn't do you any favors.

Have you looked at the links I posted already? (rhetorical question) You obviously haven't even read my posts!

Five minutes of internet searching will confirm everything I've said here. I know that your internet works because you're using it to blather here. I know your type. You will find a way to discredit any link I post because your cognitive dissonance is preventing you from being unbiased. Maybe you'll see the light if you do your own research and vet the sources yourself?

I'm sorry that the truth offends you but most colleges are funded by the government and corporations and neither of those institutions could function if people were healthy and able to function independently.

Due to your reactions here and after seeing a lot of your other posts on this forum, it's pretty clear to me that you're either determined to remain ignorant, or you just like trolling. I have no respect for people with either of those qualities so won't be interacting with you in the future.

Have a nice afternoon.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Five minutes of internet searching will confirm everything I've said here. I know that your internet works because you're using it to blather here. I know your type. You will find a way to discredit any link I post because your cognitive dissonance is preventing you from being unbiased. Maybe you'll see the light if you do your own research and vet the sources yourself?

I'm getting deja vu...

Paging VC4Ever, paging VC4Ever?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Wait what? Collages don't work because people aren't independent? As someone who went to college, and then used those skills and experiences to find gainful employment that I couldn't have gotten otherwise, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

I have no respect for people with either of those qualities so won't be interacting with you in the future.
I even made a point in another thread that there were no hard feelings involved with disagreeing with someone. There's no need for this kind of comment.

Five minutes of internet searching will confirm everything I've said here.
You can "confirm" almost anything, true or not, with some googling. Any and every opinion is out there if you search for it. Nothing you've presented so far has convinced me that your solution for dealing with depression is superior to anyone else's.

Reaction score
@TedEH I think the problem is exactly there, where you seem to think (I'm guessing since I can't know what you are thinking, obviously; I'm sorry if I'm exceeding myself here) that what he is saying is superior to anything else. I only read that this is HIS experience, he's sharing his life experience and I think we should be grateful for him to take the time.

I never felt @Ernesto was trying to do the "I'm better than everyone else" move.

This to say that no one is correct (as the only one) in this subject and that this internet forum (SSO) is music/guitar oriented so I doubt anyone will use it as a reliable source of information on anything besides guitar/bass/music related subjects. This also means that we (all users here) shouldn't take these publications so personal, nor take it to the personal side of life. It will only lead to disappointments and... yes, depression of some sort.

None of your arguing is/was helpful to @Discoqueen, in my opinion, obviously.

Having this said, please, chill out, go play some guitar, no one needs to trow in their academic achievements in order to make point on something against someone who may or may not have any of those certificates.

2 final quotes,
Show must go on... - Freddy Mercury and Queen
The mind is a terrible thing to taste... 1989 Album from Ministry

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's apparent that you didn't actually read my posts before commenting on them. That's a shame.

Regarding the quoted statement above, while someone is on the pills, their body is incapable of retraining itself to regulate the neurochemicals naturally so it's necessary to try getting off of the pills and see how they do once they've been practicing the holistic practices for a while.

Taking psyche meds is very similar to MDMA abuse in that the body becomes dependent upon it. If you artificially dump dopamine into your system constantly by taking MDMA regularly, the body stops producing the dopamine because it's getting it externally. When MDMA addicts go clean, they are usually very depressed for a long time afterwards.

The way I've helped others get off the meds is by having them practice the holistic treatments while they are able to due to the artificial relief that the meds provide. Once they've adapted the anti-depression lifestyle and it becomes habit, I have them ask their doctors to slowly wean them off of the pills and monitor how they feel as the dosages are reduced. Once they're off of the meds, if the depression comes back at an unmanageable level, I definitely recommend that they go to the doc and get back on the regimen. It can take a few months, or even years of repeating this process, but I have a 100% success rate.
Yes, it's because you're not an authority on this, not citing credible sources, and really shouldn't be advising patients to make any treatment changes. :lol:

If you think all you need to know about psychotherapy is what you've learned from five minutes on the internet, then I'm going to politely suggest you step back and leave this to the professionals who have spent years of their lives studying these subjects.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ve been avoiding setting goals because I didn’t wanna ha resent having to do something when I was exhausted

@Discoqueen I went through a bad depressive episode towards the end of 2016 that lead to me quitting or stopping a lot of the things I loved. During my recovery/rediscovery of myself I actually found that setting and accomplishing small goals did wonders for my mental health and well being. Of course I didn't actually accomplish everyday so I had to learn how to handle setbacks without giving up (still an on going process), but take every small victory you can.

If I got home from work 11pm I would make it a goal to play for 10-15 minutes. Some nights I would just noodle around or hold the guitar while trying to find a tab before falling asleep. Still counted that as a win. Doesn't even have to be guitar really; you just want to pick something that can lead to some small feeling of progress. Books, a challenging video game, exercise.

Hope that helps. As always consult a professional and good luck :yesway:

I'm getting deja vu...

Paging VC4Ever, paging VC4Ever?

This is the far left wing version of that guy. I'd love to watch that conversation from the sidelines with a pint of whiskey :lol:

gujukal

Reaction score
Try stay committed and learn a song, start in a slower tempo and build it up. It will keep you more motivated i think than just playing something random.

Latest posts