Dickey Betts co-founding guitarist of the Allman Brothers Band, has died aged 80

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score

KailM

Reaction score
😢. Pretty big fan back in the day. His music brightened the world.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Well damn. I'll admit Allman Brothers were before my time but I always loved this performance of Blue Sky. Just killer musicians all around.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big bummer.

Allman Bros are one of the only groups I can really connect with my dad on. Some of my favorite ABB solos were Dickey’s, dude was such a wonderful, lyrical player. He played some awesome Les Pauls and PRS’s over the years too.

Fly on, Dickey!

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
He was a legend. Its hilarious the Allmans kicked him out b/c he partied too hard and they wanted to get sober and he outlasted almost all of them.

The downside is I went to see him a few years ago and he was too trashed to play. It was awful. At least I got a good story out of it. Anyway, rest in power.

Rosal76

Reaction score
I read a huge article on his passing and had no idea the Allman Brothers band was formed here in Jacksonville, FL. where I live. Also, surprising to me, I pass the house where they say the band was formed when I go to my annual eye exam.

1713800998527.png

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Here is a cool video of Otis Gibbs checking out The Big House in Macon:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I read a huge article on his passing and had no idea the Allman Brothers band was formed here in Jacksonville, FL. where I live. Also, surprising to me, I pass the house where they say the band was formed when I go to my annual eye exam.
On a similar-ish note I remember finding out that Gregg lived like 10 minutes from the girl I dated when I was 18, I guess he retired to Richmond Hill, GA.

On another similar one I also just remembered that Randy Woods set up shop 5 minutes from where I used to live back when I was living near Savannah. I remember going into his shop when I was like 13 and him just being like "who the fuck is this kid?" in the nicest way he could manage, lmao