Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis

• Thread starter vgguru39
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

willyman101

Reaction score
I want someone to explain to me why they're so good. I'm not saying they aren't, I just find it so hard to make sense of any of it... it's just so noisy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spratcho

Reaction score
I think that Greg's clean vocal is much better on "Option Paralysis" than on "Ire Works".
I'm trying to tab "Farwell Mona Lisa" at this moment, but it's fucking hard to hear what
they are playing in the beginning, I will post the GP5 file when its finished if u guys would like :)
(Give me a comment if u want me to post it)

rasse

Reaction score
I think that Greg's clean vocal is much better on "Option Paralysis" than on "Ire Works".
I'm trying to tab "Farwell Mona Lisa" at this moment, but it's fucking hard to hear what
they are playing in the beginning, I will post the GP5 file when its finished if u guys would like :)
(Give me a comment if u want me to post it)

yes, please do. good dep tabs are really hard to find so it would be great if you could tab a song or two from option paralysis

f2f4

Reaction score
I want someone to explain to me why they're so good. I'm not saying they aren't, I just find it so hard to make sense of any of it... it's just so noisy.

That's like asking any random person why they do or don't like a band; it's hard to answer.

Personally, a big part of it for me is the appreciation of how complicated it is. A big chunk of modern musicians that the radio-listening public considers talented, couldn't play any Dillinger stuff if they tried.

About the noisey-ness, I kind of write that off as simply being an acquired taste. You kind of just have to get used to it I suppose, and once you do, you can really pick out what you do and don't like about the songs.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score

Not that I am trying to convince you that DEP is the most amazing thing ever, but the total energy/vibe they have resonates with me somehow. Sounds cheesy, but the dynamics really get me, along with the wacky parts, which can be super simple or on the shred side of things.

I get a similar feeling from Tool.

noodleplugerine

Reaction score

They right intricate, overwhelming music. Same reason I love the mars volta, tool, etc.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
I only really like the song Mullet Burden and most of Calculating Infinity. Surprisingly I have to say, I do not like Dillinger so much anymore (I used to love them, had such a band myself, instrumental though)... I did not even follow them anymore, found out about the new record today... in the meantime I have found way more atonal, insane and innovative music. But Dillinger still have a place on my shelf, especially the good old 1999 Calculating Infinity.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Just received my copy on Sunday, liking the album so far. I need to give it a few more listens but I'm quite liking the tamer stuff. The spastic crazy shit is real good although I'm not finding them rememberable enough just yet. I'll listen to it s'more though, that would get me going!

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Did anybody else get the digi pack version with the bonus track? Talk about annoying packaging :lol:. The artwork is cool though.

At first listen, nothing really jumped out at me. It may have just been the sour mood i was in, as i had just come home from a pretty disappointing presentation at school. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it has grown on me big-time. Actually, It's kicking my ass as we speak :hbang:.

Sacha

Reaction score
Really like this album, seems to connect with me more then the last couple. :hbang:

DanielKRego

Reaction score
I haven't heard the entire album yet, but I like it a lot so far. Not sure it tops Miss Machine for me, though it seems very superior to Ire Works, more focused and confident in their new approach.

I still think Greg's clean vocals sound unconvincing, and although the new guy Billy Rymer on drums does a great job, he doesn't have the same artistic presence and personality that Chris Pennie and Gil Sharone did.

Jtizzle

Reaction score
I love how very little of the album is blast beats with senseless vocals and time signatures. Although I'm a fan of that, I love how there's more structure, although still there's not much to it, which is still one of their big elements on making them so amazing. His clean vocals were awesome in this album, and the guitar work improved so much. It's definitely my favorite album by them.

liquidcow

Reaction score
I must say that I have very mixed feelings about DEP in general, but I've usually managed to find something I like on each of their albums. Didn't anyone else just find this one quite boring? I just found that there was nothing new here, and on the whole I've always found that it's when they actually ease up and try and write more straightforward rock stuff that they totally fail, and there's a lot of that here.