Dimarzio D Activator.....

• Thread starter JPMDan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shikaru

Mechanical Thunder
Contributor
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get hold of 7 string Dimarzios in the UK and even when you can they're a fuckin' outrageous price.
It sucks!!!!!!

Dave, I don't know if you know about http://www.pickupman.co.uk/ . They do all Dimarzios as far as I know, and I got quoted 70 quid each for the 7 string ones. Granted, it's not that cheap and I'm not really sure what pickups generally go for over here. From my quick browse on GAK there's Duncans around this price though, so it doesn't seem too bad.

If you're just meaning in shops though, then I don't think I've ever seen a Dimarzio of any kind in a shop before :noplease:

I'm very curious about these D-activators. I'm tempted get them put in my forthcoming KxK but I don't know if I want to risk it, in case they turn out to be shite :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I just bought those (bridge + neck). I was hoping he'd get these in again, thanks fellow Mass dude ;)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It said he had 3 left when I did the buy it now. Best of luck to you Longhorn. I wonder what these pickups sound like. Will be a fun experiment.

PS: You know, that neck model is as hot as a Blaze. I have a feeling the D-Activator neck model in the bridge would be a winner.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Btw, just got my email from Mike... my pickups arrived today!!! WOOT WOOT! Review on the D-Activator 6's coming up as soon as I get them (should only be 1-2 days max as he's just in northern PA) into my Tremonti! SWEEEEEEEET! :hbang:

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Btw, just got my email from Mike... my pickups arrived today!!! WOOT WOOT! Review on the D-Activator 6's coming up as soon as I get them (should only be 1-2 days max as he's just in northern PA) into my Tremonti! SWEEEEEEEET! :hbang:

Can't wait. :)

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether I should go with a Invader set or D Activator set for my Carvin, STILL waiting on clips.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It depends more so on the makeup of your guitar. If your guitar is alder I'd get the Invader. If mahogany, the D-Activator.

PS: Web clips of amps basically mean nothing btw. The ENGL clips on RockSolidAmps proved that to me.

AsIAm666

Sevenator/Emo Killer
Reaction score
Damn Lol, just ordered the D-Sonic7/Air Norton7 combo for my Carvin yesterday. I guess I'll see how the D-Sonic7 sounds in my Carvin and then if I dont like it I'll try the D-Activator. I have the Active/Passive Electronics in my Carvin so would that effect the sound of the D-Activator because its supposed to sound Active without being Active? Pickups are gonna be Black/Cream btw....SOLID! Lol

ManBeast

Reaction score
I wanna' hear a review of the D'activator in Basswood because i'm getting tempted to go for an Evo for the bridge at the moment but still tempted by these new jobs.
Im putting the bridge in my RG7321, all I have is a computer mic to record with though. Ill still give it a shot from before/after.

jtm45

Reaction score
Im putting the bridge in my RG7321, all I have is a computer mic to record with though. Ill still give it a shot from before/after.

Cool:yesway:
At least you'll be able to give your verdict on it anyway.
It's real difficult to show what a pickup sounds like in sound-clips at the best of times,especially with the gear you're playing through tending to sound very different to what someone else might have etc.
It all helps though!
Cheers.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
OK, I finally got a clip for you guys, sorry for the long wait.

I've been taking my time getting used to the D-Activator and messing around with the pickup hieght and amp settings. I've found I do need to a bit of tweaking when I switch between the DS7 and DA7. I need to cut the gain back a bit on the amp with the DA7, which was to be expected since its the second highest output 7 string pickup made by Dimarzio next to the X2N7. But I have found I like to bump up the level on the Bad Monkey a bit as well as the volume on the amp to compensate..... actually its over compensating, but oh well it sounds good!

I've never played any 7 strings with EMG's before, I've only played my friend's RG520QS w/ the 81 and 85, so its hard for me to compare the DA7 to EMG's. Honestly I never really liked them, I prefer the sound of the Tone Zone (6 string that is! :fawk:), though most of my favorite bands use EMGS, Nevermore and Fear Factory mainly.

To me the D Activator sounds like a Dimarzio. A firebreathing Dimarzio on steroids that is. I can see how it can be compared to Super Distortion, it does have a similar overall sound that is distinctly Dimarzio, moreso to my ears than the DS7 anyway. The DS7 has that clear, almost Hi Fi sound to it. The DA7 has a rawer, less polished sound, yet still very clear, not muddy at all.

The DA7 has a bit more treble and a whole more output and gain, though its funny because when I first got the DS7, my first impression was that it was trebley and I wasnt sure if I liked it, and this was not the case with the DA7. I loved it as soon as I hit the first chord.

The DA7 is great just as the DS7 is. I cant decide which one I like better, I love them both. I am going to get the DA7 neck pickup too and put them in the Chris Woods RGA7 body the should be shipped within the week!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=655974

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for the update and the review man! I can't wait for my D-Activator 6's to get in (should be tonight if I'm lucky!). I have an RS electronics upgrade kit so I think I'll wire that up as well when I put the new pups in there! :hbang: All I need now are some TonePros studs to lock my bridge up so I only have to set it up for Drop-C once and then the bridge won't go anywhere! :yesway:

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
The D Activator sounds sweet as hell.

Is it possible to do some clean recordings with it too?