DiMazio PAF 7 + SD Omega 7 compatibility

fylzzz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just bought my first 7 string, went cheap with the intention of making it my first project guitar so I have been looking at pickups to swap into it. My current plan is to put an SD Omega in the bridge and a PAF 7 in the neck (didn't just go the full A/O set cause I thought the Alpha had a little too much treble for my liking, the PAF is a little warmer but still has the clarity that i like in the Alpha.) However, I just wanted to make sure that in terms of phase/polarity, these two will work together, or get some other suggestions on warm but clear neck pickups (I'm pretty much already sold on the Omega.) Also possibly wondering if I would be able to get away with just swapping the bridge, as I only ever use the bridge on my other guitars. For reference I mostly play post-hardcore, prog etc.

Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I use Duncan and DiMarzio pickups together in one guitar with no issue; the fundamental concept of them is all the same - ie wire coiled around magnets - there aren't any proprietary parts or compatibility issues.

Re other neck PUs I find Duncan neck pickups often tend too bright for me so I'd say you're making the right call looking at DiMarzio for warmth.

Swapping the bridge only would also be fine provided your guitar already has passive pickups. If you've got actives in stock you'd have to change the pots out for the Omega.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I've used both brands together in one guitar many times before, never an issue. So I don't think you'll have any problem.
I'm actually very curious to hear the PAF7 and the OMEGA together, so definitely report back and post about how that worked out.

BabUShka

Reaction score
If you experience issues, you could try to swap the +/- wire in one of the pickups, then they should invert to same phase level. I think I had this issue with BPK + Seymour Duncan, and solved it this way after experience out of phase sound in mid-position with both pickups engaged.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
My RG1527 had DiMarzio Crunch Lab + SD Sentient installed by the previous owner. No issues and they actually work pretty well as a set (although neither would have been my choice).

Latest posts