Dingwall 2024

• Thread starter Asgard222
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These are the only basses I'd ever go over a 135, otherwise I hate super heavy strings on standard scale or 35" scale basses.

I've really only thought I need to go larger for F# and E, but the 130/135's are absolutely usable tuned that low. It just requires a lighter picking/plucking hand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Crungy or anyone else: have you compared the Dingwall nickel long-scale strings to the Dingwall stainless long-scale strings?

I'm currently using the nickel, and would like to try the stainless, but I don't want to lose any tension and the stainless are .127 for the B string.

The stainless strings are stiffer and significantly brighter, so the perceived tension is comparable.

I have nothing to add to what you asked crushingpetal, but it made me wonder how long the frets will hold up with stainless strings since the dings use the little banjo wire.

I'm between two and six years in across my four Dingwalls, and while I don't play 7/365 like I used to there is no significant signs of wear and absolutely nothing that would suggest any impact on playability.

What are yall tuning to

ABZ6: BEADGC
ABZ5: G#C#F#BE
Hellboy: BEADG
D-Bird: EADG/DADG

All nickel, either Dingwall or NYXLs.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm tuning the BTB605MS to A-standard with the .130 Dingwall nickel. I'd like maybe 5% more tension, but not sure I want t open the can of worms looking for a different string.

Bass strings: since I'm not really a bassist, it always hurts to throw down $35 for a pack of strings only to find out in 5 minutes that I don't like them. But, I'll buy another $200 tubscreamer clone, no problem. Human psychology is weird.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm tuning the BTB605MS to A-standard with the .130 Dingwall nickel. I'd like maybe 5% more tension, but not sure I want t open the can of worms looking for a different string.

Bass strings: since I'm not really a bassist, it always hurts to throw down $35 for a pack of strings only to find out in 5 minutes that I don't like them. But, I'll buy another $200 tubscreamer clone, no problem. Human psychology is weird.

Not a big fan of TI Jazz Flats then, eh? :lol:

I'm with you though, sending it on some expensive bass strings hurts a little bit.

You can always buy a d'addario single string. I bought a .145 on Amazon recently for like 12 or 15 bucks. It's all I needed because I was happy with the tension on the other strings. Of course you gotta make sure the length will work and whatnot.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can always buy a d'addario single string. I bought a .145 on Amazon recently for like 12 or 15 bucks. It's all I needed because I was happy with the tension on the other strings. Of course you gotta make sure the length will work and whatnot.
The problem is that until recently, D'Addario wasn't selling the 37" scale length singles. I checked about a month ago and they had the .130 but I don't think they had a .135.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't even know they had super long strings.

You can get TI Jazz Flats for around $65 a set on Amazon if you use the magic search query "Thomastik-infeld accordion". Weird loophole listing that's been up for probably years now listed as an accordian accessory. And they're legit.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my dingwall d-roc 5 in several days ago and have put some good demo time on it. It is easily the finest crafted bass I own and the fit and finish is impeccable. That being said, I'm not sure it's exactly right for me personally. I still struggle with the reach and comfort with the multiscale on the bass side, and I'm not sure if it's the right instrument for me. It's fun to play, but I continuously find myself switching over to my MTD imports (the devil i know). I play most of the time sitting down since I haven't been in a gigging band for almost 3 years and the ergonomic orientation just feels a little odd to me with the bird shape. I'm really psyched I tried one out and got to noodle with it- I do see why people love them. But that being said, if anyone is in the market for a new d-roc, I'll give you a solid deal you won't get anywhere else. Probably won't be the last Dingwall I buy as a compulsive "buy-try-goodbye guy" and I'm happy I got to try it out!

20240621_061708.jpg
20240623_092122.jpg
20240621_061814.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got my dingwall d-roc 5 in several days ago and have put some good demo time on it. It is easily the finest crafted bass I own and the fit and finish is impeccable. That being said, I'm not sure it's exactly right for me personally. I still struggle with the reach and comfort with the multiscale on the bass side, and I'm not sure if it's the right instrument for me. It's fun to play, but I continuously find myself switching over to my MTD imports (the devil i know). I play most of the time sitting down since I haven't been in a gigging band for almost 3 years and the ergonomic orientation just feels a little odd to me with the bird shape. I'm really psyched I tried one out and got to noodle with it- I do see why people love them. But that being said, if anyone is in the market for a new d-roc, I'll give you a solid deal you won't get anywhere else. Probably won't be the last Dingwall I buy as a compulsive "buy-try-goodbye guy" and I'm happy I got to try it out!

View attachment 145508
View attachment 145509
View attachment 145510

You should really try an NG or ABZ, yeah the scale is the same but the ergonomics are completely different. Totally changes the overall feel of the instrument, makes it seem less unwieldy.

*laughs in Double Bass*

*then cries*

TI upright bass strings are considered "cheap" at $300 a set. I used to work on stuff for the Frost Orchestra and a decent set of strings is nearly a grand. :nuts:

I don't know what are on my Wave, but I don't plan on changing them anytime soon.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm. I do like the finish on that. Depends on how quick I sell my d-roc whether I'll take a stab at making an offer there.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Seems a little pricey for a 14 year old bass. But everyone wants like twice as much for ABZs now since they're harder to come by.
Yeah, I want an ABZ 6, but the only ones I see are priced suuuuuper high. Idk what they cost new, but it can’t be much different from what people are asking for the sixxers these days.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't that one for sale some months back? I know I've seen that exact one before.

I always get super suspicious when I see frequent flyers on the talkbass classifieds. It makes me wonder "what are they not telling us"

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should really try an NG or ABZ, yeah the scale is the same but the ergonomics are completely different. Totally changes the overall feel of the instrument, makes it seem less unwieldy.

*laughs in Double Bass*

*then cries*

TI upright bass strings are considered "cheap" at $300 a set. I used to work on stuff for the Frost Orchestra and a decent set of strings is nearly a grand. :nuts:

I don't know what are on my Wave, but I don't plan on changing them anytime soon.
I do occasionally think about the serious violin and cello (and I guess bass) people as compared to my guitar universe. A decent violin is, what $20k? I don't really know...

I wonder if there's a "violin page" where they obsess about whether their bridge was made in 1740 or whatever? Or, maybe they're a bunch of sensible folks? I played violin for many years, but outgrew it to... chug.