Distorion Pedal vs Amp Sim

• Thread starter shnizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
I got me the Proco RAT and tested if it could take my tones to the next level. So far I´m tending towards a yes. I´ll have to make some test recordings and mixes, though. Until then, here´s a video on my first testing and first impressions:

Thoughts on the general concept?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I'm not sure it sounded better than the original amp sim tone. But it definitely worked.

The thing that's put me off using lots of real hardware for recording is that you lose the flexibility of amp sims where you can just tweak whatever on the DI and it's always up to date. I'd hate having to re-amp stuff through real hardware.

shnizzle

johnny
Reaction score
I'm not sure it sounded better than the original amp sim tone. But it definitely worked.

The thing that's put me off using lots of real hardware for recording is that you lose the flexibility of amp sims where you can just tweak whatever on the DI and it's always up to date. I'd hate having to re-amp stuff through real hardware.

yeah, if it sounds better or not is really a matter of personal preference. and i find it´s also very dependent on if you just hear it or if you play it yourself. i do feel a difference, and i have to say it feels better. i´m also currently going for a dirty barky smudgy mid rangey tone, kind of Slipknot-ish. and the RAT definitely does that better than any of the amp sims in my arsenal.

real gear and amp sims both have their pros and cons imo. amp sims are definitely more convenient. but i find it´s super easy to end up tweaking all day long instead of creating. recording with real gear there is not a lot of tweaking you can do later on. it´s a challenge during the recording process, but afterwards you just have a fixed tone and can focus on the rest of the production. i like that idea actually. but also, i can still tweak plenty with different ir´s which can have quite the impact on the tone.

i also did some test recording today. i find the proco rat tone sounds so good in a mix, that it kind of mixes itself. the mid range sits really well and there are barely any resonances i need to fix. it takes far less work to make it sound great and sit right. and that´s with the same impulse i use with my amp sim tones.