Diving into suboctave territory...

• Thread starter josh pelican
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
All right, folks. As some of you know, I've been one of the avid posters when it comes to questions regarding low tunings for bass. I've always been there (along with knuckle_head and a few others) to help with string gauge/tension, amps, cabinets, electronics, etc... but now it's time for you to help me.

In the new year, I've decided it's my turn to finally go one octave lower. It may seem funny that I've been able to answer so many questions without ever doing it myself. Knowledge has never killed anyone, though. I'm just your average gear whore.

What I need help with is choosing what bass I should get. I had a huge list that I narrowed down to eight basses after coming to the conclusion I don't wanted to go over a grand. That automatically bumped Dingwall, one Ibanez model, MusicMan basses (they aren't top-loading anyway), and some others.

Here are the eight basses I'm stuck deciding on...

Ibanez SRT900DX:
Ibanez.com | Basses | SRT900DX

Ibanez SR750:
Ibanez.com | Basses | SR750

Carvin Icon:
Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: IC4
Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: IC4W

*Carvin LB70:
Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: LB70
Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: LB70A

Spector Legend:
Come on, it's Spector. This needs no additional information or pictures. I have one Spector now and it's fucking amazing.

Cort Artisan A4:
A4

Warwick Thumb BO (Used):
Warwick Basses Amps & Rock'n Roll

Custom Warmoth G4:
Uh, go to their website. I can't find any details because it will be custom.

What do you guys think? They're all top-loading and have decent electronics. If needed, I could easily upgrade any of them. The downside to the Warmoth is that I would get it without electronics and order/install it later. This can get costly.

Help a brother out.

*Note, the LB70A is one of the only exceptions for the over $1,000 rule. I was looking at the Ibanez SR5000E, but it's a few hundred more.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're a big Spector fan, track down a used Euro. I've seen them go for $900 - $1200 pretty consistently. If you look you'll probably even find a ReBop for close to that.

Really man, I'd save up a little bit more. Going into the $1200 range could really score you some badass used stuff.

Of the basses you have listed, I'm going to have to side with Carvin (Though, I'm typically a huge fan of Ibby basses). They'll offer high wood quality and spec to price ratio, more so than the others you've posted. Unless you're really into the figured woods, go with the LB70 and not LB70A.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
I'm kind of leaning toward an Ibanez or a Carvin.

I thought about a Spector Euro, but I decided I didn't want to turn it into a suboctave bass only because I don't know just how much use it would get. I would play it a good amount, just not enough to justify the Euro. I want a Euro 4LX and a Euro 5LX, but if I had either or they would be in my main arsenal. If I ended up playing in a band using a tuning that low, I would DEFINITELY jump on a Euro.

A ReBop wouldn't be too bad, but it all depends on whether or not I find one used for a good price. I would love to get a dark cherry burst ReBop 4. Mmmm. Drop an Aguilar OBP-3 and some Nordstrands into that. Oh boy!

One of the reasons I am leaning toward the Carvin is because I want to really put a spin on this. I know I can add a Hipshot X-Tender to any bass, but the LB70 models come with one. Playing an octave lower is fucking madness as it is... but what about DADG?! Another reason I am leaning towards Carvin is because, well, I've always wanted a Carvin!

With Ibanez and Carvin, I wouldn't upgrade them at all. With the Cort, I'm not really sure. I don't really know much about their electronics. With a Legend, I would probably upgrade it. I would probably upgrade any Spector, for that model.

I've decided against the Warwick, nevertheless.

This is a tough decision. What do the boys in Danza use?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I'm kind of leaning toward an Ibanez or a Carvin.

I thought about a Spector Euro, but I decided I didn't want to turn it into a suboctave bass only because I don't know just how much use it would get. I would play it a good amount, just not enough to justify the Euro. I want a Euro 4LX and a Euro 5LX, but if I had either or they would be in my main arsenal. If I ended up playing in a band using a tuning that low, I would DEFINITELY jump on a Euro.

A ReBop wouldn't be too bad, but it all depends on whether or not I find one used for a good price. I would love to get a dark cherry burst ReBop 4. Mmmm. Drop an Aguilar OBP-3 and some Nordstrands into that. Oh boy!

One of the reasons I am leaning toward the Carvin is because I want to really put a spin on this. I know I can add a Hipshot X-Tender to any bass, but the LB70 models come with one. Playing an octave lower is fucking madness as it is... but what about DADG?! Another reason I am leaning towards Carvin is because, well, I've always wanted a Carvin!

With Ibanez and Carvin, I wouldn't upgrade them at all. With the Cort, I'm not really sure. I don't really know much about their electronics. With a Legend, I would probably upgrade it. I would probably upgrade any Spector, for that model.

I've decided against the Warwick, nevertheless.

This is a tough decision. What do the boys in Danza use?!

When I saw Danza, he was using an Ibanez SR(I do not remember the model) and his loe E was a .165.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
If you can push up to $1200 that will get you a new Dingwall Combustion, and used ones go for around a grand if you can find one before someone else jumps on it. That's honestly my top recommendation.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you can push up to $1200 that will get you a new Dingwall Combustion, and used ones go for around a grand if you can find one before someone else jumps on it. That's honestly my top recommendation.

I didn't know the Combustion series was that cheap (price wise). If you can snag one, I'd say that'd be the best option as well. :agreed:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
have you looked into the ibanez ergodyne series?

ibanez_EDB555WNF.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of the members here have experience with Knuckle basses? I did a search and it seems that some members here want to steer clear of them, but I don't know why.

A Dingwall for $1200 sounds like a good deal.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, if I can snag a Dingwall for around a grand, I'd be all over it without a doubt. You don't see many for sale on ebay (that ship to Halifax anyway), and the ones on TalkBass are usually Afterburners that are several grand.

If I can't get a Dingwall, I'm definitely considering an SR (or SRT) or a Carvin.

jymellis - I have not seen those to be honest. The SRT models are pretty curved (like some Spectors, Warwicks, etc) and they look pretty damn nice:
SR900DXNTF_arched_back.jpg

Not to mention the sexy neck (which is neck-through):
SR900DXNTF_thru-neck.jpg

EDIT: I just remembered that this bass is about $900-$1,000. I guess the Dingwall is back on my list... but they're still extremely hard to get your hands (a used one).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, look for an SR1000 from a couple years ago. They were neck-thru, and had the body contours (like all SR basses). They were the MIK Prestige series, and were fantastic basses. I've see them go for under $1000 quite regularly.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
There were a few different SR1000 models, correct? I think some had regular bridges and P/J pickups while other models had two humbuckers and monorail bridges. Or am I completely wrong?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There were a few different SR1000 models, correct? I think some had regular bridges and P/J pickups while other models had two humbuckers and monorail bridges. Or am I completely wrong?

There were a few permutations, yes. For whatever reason Ibanez has used a few different numbers a few times on different basses, in different years. Really, any 800+ series SR will be a really solid bass, and typically they go for very little on the used market. The 1000 to 1500 series were some of the best, arguably, and the SR800 is like the RG550 of Ibanez Basses, simple but very effective. They're all MIJ bar the most recent SR1500s, which are Korean but still very well made.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you are sticking to four stringers, I don't think you can go wrong with an SR.

The string spacing on the fives and sixes always bothered me a bit, but that's just me.

Not that my intention is to totally derail this by recommending something that is totally not what you are looking for, but I've gotten extremely lucky with my Dean Edge Bass. My particular bass has the longer scale, and is just as well built as the Ibanezes that go for 1.5-2x as much. The pickups and electronics on it are also very good for the money. And, I've got it down to F# with no problems so far.

But fair warning: when I bought it from the shop which employed me at the time, there were two others bought around the same time, and one of them had shipped out with a bad preamp. So, maybe the quality of these is not consistent.

Murmel

Reaction score
Wouldn't a "34 scale be a bit short? I know that it's generally advised to go with a "35 on 5-stringers, so I don't see how it wouldn't apply if you're gonna tune down an entire octave.

Just thought I'd chime that in ;)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've had good luck with tuning down pretty low on 35" scale. The trick is to find the narrow balance between string gauge and tension. Honestly, 35" is not much different than 34", but something like =>38" should be much better.

If money were no object for me, I'd have to have an extralong scale bass for tuning down, and I'd keep my 35"er in BEADGC.

It's just pretty expensive to get into those extralong scale basses.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
Murmie, you can make it work no problem. A guy on TalkBass has his Thunderbird set up for an octave lower and that has a 34" scale. Like Bostjan said, 35" isn't a huge difference, but 38" would rule. If I can get a Dingwall for a smoking price, I will definitely consider one. I just wish I could find some decent sound clips. The ones on Youtube fucking blow.

I'm starting to really consider an Ibanez which was my first idea. I'm starting to play around with ideas and may not necessarily go with one of the Ibanez models I've listed as I am keeping my eye open on used prices, too.

I'm going to see if anyone is interested in a trade (plus or minus cash) for my six string. My only offer so far was a G&L L-2500 Tribute, which I have declined.

ixlramp

Reaction score
Ibanez BTB through-neck? 35" scale, 18v electronics, more downforce at the bridge, stronger neck make it ideal for low tunings, they're well known as high value tone monsters. Also, the more strings the better, more mass, stiffer neck.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Dude, I have an ABI Elite 5. Clarity is the name of the game here, even with the "everything on 11" series pickup setting and the tone knob dropped to take some of the "edge" off. The Combustions use a very solid basic active EQ and excellent pickups; you should not have any problems.

Also, I've found sound clips on bass to be even less applicable to "real life" than sound clips on guitar. And that's saying something!

ixlramp

Reaction score
One thing to check before buying ... is it possible to move the bridge saddles back far enough to intonate the big strings like .182 to .200?