"djenty" low F#, mellow and lush high F

Lilliputti

Reaction score
Hello,

I have ordered a custom-made 28-24.5" fanned fret guitar for all fifths-tuning, low F# to high F. I am currently using an LTD viper baritone, 27", but there are few things that i'd like to ask.
By eq, i can make the lowest string sound great, but the higher strings sound thin and weak. The custom guitar that i'm gonna get has it's pickup lined with the bridges, so that gives little relief due to the relationship of the different scale length/ same pickup distance
The music that i create uses lots of odd chords with some low "djenty" stuff, so i was wondering, should i make the pickup even more angled, so that the low F# side of the pickup would be, like, 1 inch from the bridge, and the high F would be 2 inches or even more?. That would give the higher strings more "body" and less sharpness, i think.

Has anybody had any experience with an over-angled pickup, or a inverted angle stratocaster pickup? My main goal is to level the tonal differences between the strings.

-Lilliputti

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

haffner1

Reaction score
I don't have any fanned fret experience, but if I understand you correctly, what you are talking about with the pickups is pretty standard with fanned fret instruments.

edonmelon

Not a melon
Reaction score
In my opinion, you wouldn't notice a more angled bridge pickup when playing the higher strings, especially when your instrument will be 24.5" on the treble side.

btw, low F# and high F as in F#B E A D G C F? That's not all-fifths, it's all-fourths, isn't it?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I've thought a lot about doing that. I've actually got a couple of mockups in a thread on here from a year or two ago about that. The idea is a good one - basically enhance the crispness of the lows and warmth of the highs by pickup angling. I'd be 100% behind you trying it because I can't imagine a situation in which that would give an inferior result. The other idea is to angle the bridge pup the same amount as would be required by the fan, but over angle the neck pup.

EDIT: Found it. Check out this thread. You may get some answers. I had the same question when I made it: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...h/130151-would-work-super-slanted-pickup.html

Lilliputti

Reaction score
It's a 6-stringer, so it's all fifths. Crazy fan for 6, i know :)

The bridge pickups is angled the same amount as the fan is, and because each string has a 0.7 inch difference, it will help to tame the harshness of the highs due to different scale length (28 low F# and 24.5 high F, each 1 1/8 from bridges.)

That was a really good thread, i read it! My guitar will have only one pickup, in the bridge position. I'm thinking would a same type of pickup fan, not as big as the ERGs, work for my at advantage in the bridge? Maybe 10-15 degrees?

-Lilliputti

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I think a less-fanned pickup is a good idea honestly, and I kinda wish I had that on my multiscale.

One thing I wasn't aware of when I got a multiscale is how picking angle would come into play. Normally I pick straight down, perpendicular to the strings, but doing that on a multi means I'm hitting the bass strings where I want but picking a lot closer to the bridge on the treble ones. Changing how I strum helps obviously, but a less angled pickup could probably balance it out more.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I think a less-fanned pickup is a good idea honestly, and I kinda wish I had that on my multiscale.

One thing I wasn't aware of when I got a multiscale is how picking angle would come into play. Normally I pick straight down, perpendicular to the strings, but doing that on a multi means I'm hitting the bass strings where I want but picking a lot closer to the bridge on the treble ones. Changing how I strum helps obviously, but a less angled pickup could probably balance it out more.

I get this - but I actually think that might exaggerate the problem? Picking closer to the bridge on the treble strings = brighter tone. A less fanned pickup = brighter tone on the treble strings, too.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I get this - but I actually think that might exaggerate the problem? Picking closer to the bridge on the treble strings = brighter tone. A less fanned pickup = brighter tone on the treble strings, too.

Haha you're totally right! I guess I had a brain fart while writing that. That's what happens when I try to write when I'm exhausted from work. Thanks for catching that too, I'd hate to have someone use bad info while getting a guitar built.

Latest posts