Do guitarists need a Reamp box or not? - Radial ProRMP VS Just a cable

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
It's me again!

I keep seeing these conversations, like "why do I even need a reamp box" :mad:

So I made a video comparing a 6505+ through a Zilla Fatboy, first with a Radial ProRMP Reamp box, then without, with a cable straight to the interface.

Hopefully this is good proof to show to people when they ask why we bother.

-Adam

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
Nice work! I probably missed this in the video, and it's probably painfully obvious, but did you originally record those tracks DI? If so, I've got to get one of those Radial units! I do all of my recording the old-fashioned way by micing up my cab with a '57 and playing loud. But it takes me forever to get songs done that way, because my windows for playing loud are few and far between. And I also have the issue of struggling to hear my guitar takes when mult-tracking with a 6505 blaring away. If I could get my takes just right via DI, and then plug them into my 6505 and get the SAME tone as if I'd played it live through the amp, then that would be indeed awesome. I'm probably several years late to the party, I realize...:lol:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice work! I probably missed this in the video, and it's probably painfully obvious, but did you originally record those tracks DI? If so, I've got to get one of those Radial units! I do all of my recording the old-fashioned way by micing up my cab with a '57 and playing loud. But it takes me forever to get songs done that way, because my windows for playing loud are few and far between. And I also have the issue of struggling to hear my guitar takes when mult-tracking with a 6505 blaring away. If I could get my takes just right via DI, and then plug them into my 6505 and get the SAME tone as if I'd played it live through the amp, then that would be indeed awesome. I'm probably several years late to the party, I realize...:lol:

I recently bought a buffered splitter and now when I record anything, split one signal through my pedals to the amp and the other direct to the audio interface. Then on the audio interface(2 input interface) channel 1 is the mic recording the amp, and channel 2 is the DI. So when I'm recording scratch takes or place holders I have the amp sound for working on the track, but when its all said and done, I have the DI's I can go back to reamp(with a radial x-amp) the tone and get it exact.

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
Nice work! I probably missed this in the video, and it's probably painfully obvious, but did you originally record those tracks DI? If so, I've got to get one of those Radial units!

Yes, the original tracks for this were a 7-string with a Lace Alumitone into a DI box, with the link output tracking using whatever awful amp we were using (original audio is from my "challenge accepted" series where we try and get a good tone out of a sh*t amp). I could also have used a VST amp, with a very similar effect. The added benefit here was that the pickups were loaded by the actual amp being played into, which maybe gives a little more dynamic response. Maybe.

I recently bought a buffered splitter and now when I record anything, split one signal through my pedals to the amp and the other direct to the audio interface. Then on the audio interface(2 input interface) channel 1 is the mic recording the amp, and channel 2 is the DI. So when I'm recording scratch takes or place holders I have the amp sound for working on the track, but when its all said and done, I have the DI's I can go back to reamp(with a radial x-amp) the tone and get it exact.

Seems like a slightly long-way-round, but should work well. The point of a DI (originally) was that the link output is hard-wired to the input, so the guitar sees the amp's 1st tube as the buffer and captures that response. But if your method works, sounds legit :) :hbang: