Does anyone have good RG8 pickguard templates?

• Thread starter MF_Kitten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I have the Perle guitars one that I have tried to "reconstruct" since it's incomplete in their PDF to avoid copying. I'm not quite up to the task of getting a functional template made from it, especially not trying to tweak it from soapbar sized to passive. Someone else will be cutting the pickguard for me, so the dimensions need to actually be right already.

I found an old thread from 2013 where people were talking about perfect templates, but those dropbox links have since died.

What I want, eventually, is a single passive humbucker pickguard for my RG8. One volume only. If I have to modify a standard pickguard template, then that's fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Try to open that template with vector software. You may get a surprise.

I downloaded their UV pickguard and it as well was truncated by the paper size. I opened it with Adobe Illustrator and to my surprise not only was it complete as the file also featured the RG8 pickguard template, although not visible on the paper layout.

I tried back then to contact Perle Guitars but never got a single reply. I used what I had at hand. I was expecting a truncated pickguard as well and was about to complete it, but to my surprise, it was all there.

Any graphic and vector software that can open vector PDF files will most likely open up that file.

If you still can't solve your problem, ring me a bell and I'll send you their file in A3 size, which will hold the entire and un-truncated pickguard.

Last edited:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I ac
Try to open that template with vector software. You may get a surprise.

I downloaded their UV pickguard and it as well was truncated by the paper size. I opened it with Adobe Illustrator and to my surprise not only was it complete as the file also featured the RG8 pickguard template, although not visible on the paper layout.

I tried back then to contact Perle Guitars but never got a single reply. I used what I had at hand. I was expecting a truncated pickguard as well and was about to complete it, but to my surprise, it was all there.

Any graphic and vector software that can open vector PDF files will most likely open up that file.

If you still can't solve your problem, ring me a bell and I'll send you their file in A3 size, which will hold the entire and un-truncated pickguard.
I actually tried that. It was a bit of a struggle to get it to stop truncating all the paths, but that might be inkscape's problem. I don't have illustrator at the moment.

My biggest issue right now is not having a passive routed one with the pickup mounting holes etc, and I feel like I'm not sure if the scale is conserved for when I eventually attempt to print.

Reaction score
I ac

I actually tried that. It was a bit of a struggle to get it to stop truncating all the paths, but that might be inkscape's problem. I don't have illustrator at the moment.

My biggest issue right now is not having a passive routed one with the pickup mounting holes etc, and I feel like I'm not sure if the scale is conserved for when I eventually attempt to print.
Tomorrow I'll check the file I have and ring a bell. I believe the file had some rulers drawn for scale reference... is Inkscape a vector or raster software?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Use the Tosin Abasi TAM template on WD music. That's what I did for my RG8.

Reaction score
I ac

So, I've looked at the file I have and compared it with those that I've done since then that delivered me good pickguards at a local laser cut store. The ruler is in milimetres and is at scale 1:1, so the pickguard should be at scale if printed at 100% size.

I haven't messed with the RG8 pickguard, only with the UV's but it shouldn't be much complicated to draw and place a cut out for a passive bridge pickup only. If you need help there, shoot me the pickup's dimentions and I'll see what I can do with it...

@CanserDYI can you please post a link to it?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

The only thing I had to do it do a TINY little trim around the bridge, took a hand file and 15 minutes and it was on. You can "subtract" any holes/routes on the pickguard you don't need like the mini toggle and the middle pickup.

Reaction score

The only thing I had to do it do a TINY little trim around the bridge, took a hand file and 15 minutes and it was on. You can "subtract" any holes/routes on the pickguard you don't need like the mini toggle and the middle pickup.
You downloaded the image, right? Then edited it to scale with some raster image software...?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
You downloaded the image, right? Then edited it to scale with some raster image software...?
Nope I just ordered it from them actually, they will customize it for what routes you need.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I was told they wouldn't make changes when I asked them. So they're doing custom ones again?
They're still doing no "fully custom" pickguard, but if you're just looking for an RG8 pickguard you just need to ask them to delete the mini toggle from the TAM pickguard they have in file in the "special instructions" section. Deleting routes is something they'll do no issue.

you'll also have to slightly modify the bridge route too, but it was very easy.

Omzig

Reaction score
I have the Perle guitars one that I have tried to "reconstruct" since it's incomplete in their PDF to avoid copying. I'm not quite up to the task of getting a functional template made from it, especially not trying to tweak it from soapbar sized to passive. Someone else will be cutting the pickguard for me, so the dimensions need to actually be right already.

I found an old thread from 2013 where people were talking about perfect templates, but those dropbox links have since died.

What I want, eventually, is a single passive humbucker pickguard for my RG8. One volume only. If I have to modify a standard pickguard template, then that's fine.

I have this RG8 plate as a CAD/C2d curve, if you can give me the lenght/width you need i can resize and remove elements of it for you.

RG8_Plate.jpg

Latest posts