Double NGD: I am a thief. Ibanez edition.

• Thread starter Ordacleaphobia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I mean, obviously the pics are gunna come first.

Anyone who spends enough time on this board to recognize me at all probably knows that I am an absolute fanatic for any Ibanez with a swirl. And while my wallet may not be fortified enough to withstand one of those sweet, sweet Universes, I finally managed to track down not 1, but 2 swirls that not only looked nice enough to own, but also fell within my budget. I wasn't even in the market for a new guitar :rofl:

I got these suckers within 2 days of each other, both at an absolutely crazy price. But the lighter, sharktooth-afflicted RG370DX refinish was the catch of the week: $249 from GuitarCenter- and it arrived with the following.
  • A fitted, Ibanez-branded hard case.
  • DiMarzio pickups, a Full Shred in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge.
  • An oil-finished neck
  • The shitty Edge Pro II trem swapped out.
  • And some free tech work.
I knew the trem was going to be different, but the pickups and neck treatment were a pleasant surprise on delivery day. What was not pleasant however, was when I plugged this sucker in after sizing it up and realized I had no signal from the bridge pickup, as well as the immediate following realization that the height adjustment screws for the bridge pickup were stripped or something because that thing wasn't moving.

Luckily, my local GuitarCenter was cool enough to offer a full rewire on it free of charge. Sadly they didn't fix the screws, but I can figure something out for that, no big deal. I also picked up a set of swirled knobs from some guy on ebay to swap out the white set that was on there, and I think they look waaaaaayyyyy better. I've also discovered that I'm actually a fan of the Full Shred, which was cool, since that wasn't a pickup that was anywhere near my radar to try.

As for the trem- does anyone have any guesses on what type of trem this guy swapped in? I think it may be an Edge but I can't say for sure; I was never a big enough trem guy to get to the point to where I can tell for sure just from looking.

The second guitar is a refinished RG920, and unlike the 370 which feels (and looks) like more of a passion project, this one was all pro. I picked this one up from LostInSwirl's Reverb shop and he absolutely slayed the finish on this thing- if I didn't know better I'd have guessed this was a factory finish. All of the original hardware is there and in pristine condition (including the shitty Premium stock pickups :lol:), and this guitar needed nothing done to it at all. Didn't outright steal this one, but it was priced at a reasonable price for a normal, run-of-the-mill used 920, and considering the price hikes swirl finishes usually bring on, I feel like I made out on this one as well.

That said, it's still a Premium, and comes with Premium quirks. The pickups are complete shite even for stock pickups, and I always have a tough time getting the action where I want on these 1st gen Premiums, but overall it plays well and I am quite happy with it.

Cheers guys. Don't forget to check your Reverb feed every day- never know what you might find!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
So I've circled back to this trem question, and I'm not sure it's as simple as a Gotoh floyd. These seem to typically have the Gotoh branding etched into the baseplate, where this trem is unmolested. This looks to be a trend across all FR variants, as well. Additionally, where this trem (and most other Ibanez trems I've seen) have "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents" etched across it, the Gotoh trem units will read "High Stability Tremolo System" instead.

I guess the quickest way to tell would be to take this sucker apart and see if the knife edges are removable or not.

these are sick! This makes me want to do a swirl job on my rg652.

Do it! Every Ibanez needs a swirl, haha.
I really want to do one myself, learn how to strip the paint off, prep it, and do the whole swirling procedure. Looks like a ton of fun.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So I've circled back to this trem question, and I'm not sure it's as simple as a Gotoh floyd. These seem to typically have the Gotoh branding etched into the baseplate, where this trem is unmolested. This looks to be a trend across all FR variants, as well. Additionally, where this trem (and most other Ibanez trems I've seen) have "Licensed under Floyd Rose Patents" etched across it, the Gotoh trem units will read "High Stability Tremolo System" instead.

I guess the quickest way to tell would be to take this sucker apart and see if the knife edges are removable or not.

Do it! Every Ibanez needs a swirl, haha.
I really want to do one myself, learn how to strip the paint off, prep it, and do the whole swirling procedure. Looks like a ton of fun.
Definitely looks like Ibanez or Gotoh style saddles that you don't see anywhere else. That's what I was going off. Never sure about branding or the licensing line on the back, but somebody who knows better than I do would be able to help you out.