Double NGD: Ibanez RG & S Prestige

• Thread starter Ludgate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ludgate

Reaction score
Having grown up on Ibbies, there was an unfillable void after selling my main players despite me picking up a Mayones Duvell 6 Elite and having a brief but expensive infatuation with PRS. The S isn't exactly new to me, having owned its successor, the S1620FB. The RG, on the other hand, was too good of a deal to pass up. Now on to what you actually came here for. :lol:

RG29290ZA-TGE
DSC00702_zpsi1yvq2pv.jpg

DSC00704_zps5egzwnxo.jpg

DSC00701_zpspdp4hjqo.jpg

DSC00700_zps5sgtkzwy.jpg

S1520FB-NT
DSC00696_zpsrfic2fgp.jpg

DSC00697_zpstwnaa9wu.jpg

DSC00693_zpsimrsuiwl.jpg

DSC00695_zpsl4qhumos.jpg

Some notes after about a week since acquiring the pair. The S feels just like I remembered it, with the added bonus of a Lo Pro Edge. Every set up with a Lo Pro just reminds me of why it is so revered. In comparison, the thumbwheel spring tension adjustment thingamajig on the RG was a straight pain in the ass.

Spec wise, the RG stands out from other lower tier Prestiges. It features a figured maple veneer on a 4mm thick maple top, as opposed to just a veneer . The S has the original Super Wizard neck profile, easily identified by the bubinga stripe.

Overall, the inner Ibanez fanboy in me is glad that I acquired these two. Oh, and a happy thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Beautiful guitars... but they are one string short :D

Mod suggestion for the S: replace switch for a 4 way tele type and go for a Neck, Neck+Bridge (parallel), Neck+Bridge (serial), Bridge wiring. Then replace those pickup rings for the TripleShot ones from Seymour Duncan. BAM all sounds in your hands. GRANTED!

Ludgate

Reaction score
Beautiful guitars... but they are one string short :D

Mod suggestion for the S: replace switch for a 4 way tele type and go for a Neck, Neck+Bridge (parallel), Neck+Bridge (serial), Bridge wiring. Then replace those pickup rings for the TripleShot ones from Seymour Duncan. BAM all sounds in your hands. GRANTED!

:lol: Sometimes I wonder if I'm a true member here. Just don't play enough 7 string material to justify keeping one.

Ah I've already got a pair of Bareknuckles in the mail that will be going into the S. That does sound like a cool idea though, I might experiment with your suggestion in the future!

Mwoit

Reaction score
That is a hawt top on that RG. Nice pictures! Nice to see some non-phone efforts. If they are phone pictures, then nice phone camera skills.

Ludgate

Reaction score
That is a hawt top on that RG. Nice pictures! Nice to see some non-phone efforts. If they are phone pictures, then nice phone camera skills.

Thanks! That top was the main reason that sold me on the RG. You're right, these aren't phone pictures, but they're straight out of camera without any fancy editing.

lewis

Reaction score
man that first RG is a beaut!!!!. Those finishes are stunning.

bloc

tha vagina finda
Reaction score
Holy fark that RG looks godly. I had no idea they had a model that looked like that.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Happy New guitars day!

How come I cannot find any info on that rg model...Google = nothing :scratch:

Ludgate

Reaction score
How come I cannot find any info on that rg model...Google = nothing :scratch:

Ah, the plight of not being Japanese. These were limited to their domestic market. It wasn't too long ago that I first found about these as well.

Just a heads up, there seems to be one floating around on Reverb.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Ah, the plight of not being Japanese. These were limited to their domestic market. It wasn't too long ago that I first found about these as well.

Just a heads up, there seems to be one floating around on Reverb.

Out of my price range for a couple months :cool:

tylerpond05

Mormon Metalhead
Reaction score
The late 90's Prestige S series with the single wave inlays are my favorite. I don't think I'll ever be able to part with my 1220.