Doubt about Peavey Piranha.

• Thread starter GÜMERSINDO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Hey folks. I´m on the fence of getting some type of 5150 sound preamp to use with my Torpedo CAB unit for recording purposes. I know there are some good pedals from brands like AMT and Mooer that can do a good job but I´ve come across a good deal for a Peavey Piranha for the same price.

My idea is to use this small head without connecting to a cab, just using the FX send of the Piranha to the Torpedo CAB input and then to the audio interface. Would it damage the poweramp?

This is what I´ve found in the product descrpition of the official Peavey website.

A buffered Effects loop is included for ease of connecting effects, re-amping, or for use as a stand-alone preamp.

Does it mean that can be used without a speaker cab?

Thanks in advance. Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Well, reading further...

connect the effects send to the input of a larger amp to use it as a "6505 preamp driver," great for quick and easy "re-amping", and any number of applications that you can dream up.

I assume it can be used as preamp indeed...

Thanks anyways. :hbang:

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Just my :2c:, I had a friend that got one and hated it.

I think you'd have better luck with a dedicated preamp like the Tight Metal or AMT P2, something designed with that in mind.

Unless the added functionality of using it as an amp appeals to you, I'd go with one of the popular preamp pedals. I still think you may need to have a load hooked up to the amp when running how you intend to, since it doesn't have a dedicated preamp out.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
Just my :2c:, I had a friend that got one and hated it.

I think you'd have better luck with a dedicated preamp like the Tight Metal or AMT P2, something designed with that in mind.

Unless the added functionality of using it as an amp appeals to you, I'd go with one of the popular preamp pedals. I still think you may need to have a load hooked up to the amp when running how you intend to, since it doesn't have a dedicated preamp out.

Ok. the thing is that I´ve foud one for the same price of a Mooer pedal, so I´m curious about how it would work for that purpose. I´m not sure if it does really need a load according to the product info, but if anyone could give more accurate info...

In worst case scenario I could connect the speaker output to a real cab and use the fx send for recording, though...

Bearitone

Reaction score
When it comes to solidstate amps you don’t have to have a cab or “load” connected to the speaker output in order to use the preamp by itself.

I’m not sure if it’s true do ALL solidstate amps but, that rule tends to hold true

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I agree. Unless you need the "amp" aspect of it, you'd get much better results out of a pre amp pedal. The Piranha only has a single tone knob, whereas most pre-amp pedals (AMT Legend 2 series, Amptweaker, Mooer, etc...) all tend to have at least 3 bands of eq if not more.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
When it comes to solidstate amps you don’t have to have a cab or “load” connected to the speaker output in order to use the preamp by itself.

I’m not sure if it’s true do ALL solidstate amps but, that rule tends to hold true

If the official web says that can be used as preamp it does mean than doesn´t need load I guess... I don´t know if that rule aplies to every SS poweramp, I´m really interested about.

I agree. Unless you need the "amp" aspect of it, you'd get much better results out of a pre amp pedal. The Piranha only has a single tone knob, whereas most pre-amp pedals (AMT Legend 2 series, Amptweaker, Mooer, etc...) all tend to have at least 3 bands of eq if not more.

Yes I know the eq is one single knob but I assume being a valve preamp and designed by the whole company that developed the 5150 it has "that tone". The eq may vary from more scooped to mid rangey, I think.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It only has one 12ax7, and even Peavey’s own marketing copy states it runs at low voltage. You don’t get 5150 gain from a single tube so calling it a valve preamp is a bit of a stretch. Even the old Marshall Valvestates ran their single 12ax7 at high voltage.

Given the likes of AMT and Mooer and how well liked their preamp pedals are, I don’t think I would look any further than them two. No point in assuming Peavey would do that sound any better than anyone else, the original designer (James Brown) doesn’t work there anymore. In fact, he makes the Amptweaker pedals, so they may be worth a look.

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
It only has one 12ax7, and even Peavey’s own marketing copy states it runs at low voltage. You don’t get 5150 gain from a single tube so calling it a valve preamp is a bit of a stretch. Even the old Marshall Valvestates ran their single 12ax7 at high voltage.

Given the likes of AMT and Mooer and how well liked their preamp pedals are, I don’t think I would look any further than them two. No point in assuming Peavey would do that sound any better than anyone else, the original designer (James Brown) doesn’t work there anymore. In fact, he makes the Amptweaker pedals, so they may be worth a look.

So, to sum up, a single valve doesn´t make a significant difference compared to a SS preamp pedal, do you mean that? That´s an interesting point as I always thought tubes give more "dynamics" or real feel to the sound. But you´re right that people seem to love their AMT, Mooer and Amptweaker pedals.... so I don´t know what to do, but I´m able to get tube mini-head for the price of a Mooer... that´s appealing, don´t you think so?

Anyways, how does it sound plugged to a real cab? Has anyone played it?

elkoki

Reaction score
Mooer preamps can be found pretty cheap on Reverb and eBay . I bought a Blacknight for around $60 on Reverb brand new. If you decide to get a Mooer, get a good quality power supply too. Using an under powered power supply makes it lack tone & balls.