DR strings 8 string packs

• Thread starter Orsinium
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dudeskin

Reaction score
yeah, i got a set of the 10s and 11s from ebay USA and posted to the UK. seems the only way for me to get them.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
These sets look a helluvah lot better than the ernie ball/d'addario sets but are still kinda lacking on the bass side. Their set of 10's has 7th and 8th strings that would balance better with a set of 9's, and 11's are too heavy in standard on the typical 27" scale (like tuning 11's UP a half step on a strat or tele :nuts: ) If you want to use 10's I'd pair those with a .059 and .080 for the low end though honestly, Circle K is much easier and cheaper than getting a bunch of singles together :yesway:

DoubleAA

Reaction score
They look to be the AAL gauges. Tosin uses 10s and Javier uses 11s, from what I have read. Would make sense since they are DR endorsees.

MontaraMike

F Sharp
Reaction score
I have a set of DR DDT-13 on my 6 string. I love them so far, but did have the smallest wound string break at the bridge right away.

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
I have a set of 11-80's on my 25.5-28" RAN tuned to EAEADGBE, for a fanned/double dropped guitar they are extremely unbalanced, but I don't notice a whole lot of tonal difference from the Circle K's that were on it except the DR's have some metallic, snappy sound to them for the first week or so until they're worn in.

I will be making the switch back to Circle K once I figure out the correct string gauge for my needs though.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Wow, a sensible 8-string set from a big string manufacturer. :eek:

EDIT: Found a few packs on eBay. They're around $10.

Just go CK.

tumblr_ls93dzsmLu1qafrh6.gif

haffner1

Reaction score
I would really like to get 7 and 8 string sets of the neons but I don't like the gauges on the lower strings. Does anyone know where you can get individual strings for these? Having one string of standard nickel would really ruin the effect.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! So it seems ebay is the best way to get them. I just wanted to try a few different options till I stick with a certain set, so Circle K is definitely on my list. I really don't mind a 76 or 78 on my eight though it isn't that floppy and my seventh I like a 58. Also if they are made well the 76 or 78 might hold up better than another manufacturers 80 gauge.

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
My local store carries em, and I love em. the 10-75 set is perfect on my Boden, and I love the feel of DRs even though they tend to lose that new string snappiness pretty quick.

vansinn

Reaction score
Without knowing the gauge of the core, I can't say how tension-balanced they might be..
DR is known for the DDT bass strings, which allows decently thinner gauges for the low B.

If they're using the same build technique on the low string(s) in these sets, indeed the tensions might be well balanced.
If not, a 075 for F# in the 10 set just won't do it, and 56+80 in the 11 set will render both lower strings inadequate - unless of course used on 28"+ scales ;)

I didn't see any info about how the 075 and 080 is made, like which core size, and does it have a taper allowing to use it on unmodified standard tuners?
Anyone know?

I don't understand why they didn't make a 009 set.
009,0115,016,024,034,046,058,075 would work fairly balanced on the 27"-28.5" range, and a 075 will allow being wiggled through a standard tuner ;)

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
11-80 heavy, check.
10-75 medium, check.
along the same incremental line-
09-70 light?......used by their biggest 8 string endorsers, not there?! Huh?

Good strings, but :noway:

rozetta

Reaction score
Musamaailma here in Helsinki has them. I was buying individual strings from there and the salesman asked what I was buying them for. I mentioned I was buying them for an 8 string guitar and he showed me the 10 and 11 packs. I bought them both. Haven't tried them yet, though, since I already had a set on order from CircleK (which still haven't arrived, so in retrospect, I would have been better off putting these strings on).

AmbienT

User has been banned
Reaction score
and does it have a taper allowing to use it on unmodified standard tuners

The 80 has a taper that fits through my locking tuners fine. Unfortunately even on my 28" it didn't go down even close to far enough causing me to just unwind the end of the string.

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully purchased these new 8 string packs. DR Strings | The Handmade String - Guitar and Bass
Please let me know if you have, I recently went to Sam Ash and they still haven't gotten back to me.

I've been using the medium set(Tosin's set) on my 8 since I got the 8... Really nice strings, I tune a half step down from 8 string standard and everything is nice.