Dragonfly Zone-b 31 inch baritone 6 string.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
So I was just browsing over some 6 strings on the net, and then was suprised by this. Its a Dragonfly (MIJ) 31" 6 string baritone. It looks really simple, but I think its the only 6 string baritone thats this long where I live. I can`t imagine getting around the first few frets at all. Here`s what the stock model looks like:

zonebstand.jpg

Very simple looking, but you can customize it at their online site:

dragonfly ZONE-B / ƒhƒ‰ƒSƒ“ƒtƒ‰ƒC@ƒMƒ^[

The specs are as follow:

BODY : ALDER
NECK : MAPLE(bolt on)
F/B : INDIAN ROSEWOOD 22F/31"
FRET : HYBRID2 214SUS
PICK UP : dfh-5N LA-80

It retails at 2500$ list price.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
31" inch scale? Thats not a guitar anymore lol

Joke aside, its the first Baritone that I see that have such a long neck, 30" was the limit in my mind. Look pretty nice, but the price is quite high (though I understand that they don't make a lot of them, its a fair price, but too much for my pocket). I'd love to try it though, interesting instrument.

Nautilus

Lefty supremacist
Reaction score
It's a lot of cash for (what I'm assuming) is stock. Well, I think it's a good alternative to the ERG/detuning thing... honestly, I think this may have been pushed out with Ibanez's 29" Meshuggah sig.

As with Vostre Roy, I'd love to definitely try it at the least

Mukersman

Reaction score
Guys, unless you have stubs for arms, you can reach for a 31" scale. A regular bass is 34".

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I don't like it too much aesthetically, but I like the idea. I'd give it a try. And for those complaining about the scale length, a lot of people on this site have 30" scale ERGs. An extra 1" wouldn't hurt.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Guys, unless you have stubs for arms, you can reach for a 31" scale. A regular bass is 34".

Well the problem isn`t the fact that our arms won`t reach the frets, the problem is that its hard to make chords, voicings in those areas. Playing the bass myself, I rarely make streched out chords on the first couple of frets.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i don't like how far back the bridge has to be to accommodate the scale length. my hand wouldn't be in a comfortable position for palm muting.

for a bass, that bridge position is good but you also don't palm mute a bass (except maybe rarely).

around 27" is the longest i'm willing to go for a baritone because of the bridge placement issue.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That would be a great guitar to have in a studio for 8-string rhythm parts or Bass VI stuff.

And for those complaining about the scale length, a lot of people on this site have 30" scale ERGs. An extra 1" wouldn't hurt.

I don't see anyone complaining about the scale length. Did I miss something? 31" shouldn't be too bad, though. If you can finger chords on a bass, this should be much easier.

i don't like how far back the bridge has to be to accommodate the scale length. my hand wouldn't be in a comfortable position for palm muting.

for a bass, that bridge position is good but you also don't palm mute a bass (except maybe rarely).

around 27" is the longest i'm willing to go for a baritone because of the bridge placement issue.

Have you played a guitar like this and had trouble, or are you just assuming it wouldn't work for you? It's not uncomfortable (for me, anyway) palm muting on a bridge that's that far back. A lot of baritones these days, especially 7s and 8s, are made with the bridge further back, anyway, even if it's not quite out to the back edge of the body. I think it both looks better and feels more comfortable, but that's me.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Haha, maybe its easy for you guys. But me, I`m a short little asain kid with fingers as small as red chillies. If it works for you I guess no problem there, don`t think I would ever go for anything beyond a 27 though, let alone 31" !:ugh:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

Yes, but you're not trying to pull off 6 string chords on a bass either... :2c:

Some might be able to, but not everyone. Also, if you like to solo, changing the scale that much definitely forces you to reevaluate your technique...

Nautilus

Lefty supremacist
Reaction score
It's all subjective on the scale length debate. There's no right of wrong...I for one can't use below 27" scales since I moved to them. Then again, I'm 6ft 6 with bear hands.

31" is out there...it's definitely a nìche audience

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Not really a debate. Look at most guitars you've seen in your lifetime. Regardless of the sample of guitars you've seen 31" is NOT a common scale length for a 6 string guitar. :2c:

Dopey Trout

Silly Fishy
Reaction score
Didn't Holdsworth have something like a 38" scale baritone?

Looks cool, it'd be fun to mess around on, Gibson basses tend to have a 30" scale and those actually feel pretty nice