Dream Theater

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
It's because Dream Theater has an unimaginative producer who doesn't know what to do with vocals.

Pretty sure that used to be Portnoy's job. He always said he considered the vocals to be the most important part of the music, which I assume means he was even more of a perfectionist about it than normal. It goes a long way toward explaining his relationship with LaBrie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Pretty sure that used to be Portnoy's job. He always said he considered the vocals to be the most important part of the music, which I assume means he was even more of a perfectionist about it than normal. It goes a long way toward explaining his relationship with LaBrie.
I can believe that. Labrie used a lot more voices in the 2000s than 2010s (Panic Attack, Test That Stumped Them All for example), but he's basically stuck to the same voice since the first word on ADTOE.

Still doesn't compare to the actual vocal production on something like Another Day or Surrounded.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I can believe that. Labrie used a lot more voices in the 2000s than 2010s (Panic Attack, Test That Stumped Them All for example), but he's basically stuck to the same voice since the first word on ADTOE.

Still doesn't compare to the actual vocal production on something like Another Day or Surrounded.

The performance is just as different as the production, though, so it might be tough to separate the two.
I&W vocal performance was pretty over-the-top.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I know. Awesome, wasn't it?

"He stands befo the windoooe,
His shadow slowly fading from the waaaAaaaAaaaAaall;
And from an ivory tower he hears her caaaall,
'Let the light surroun-jeeew'"
I saw your location as Scotland and immediately sung that in my head with a Scottish accent. It made it 100% better. :lol:

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I think the only way they’ll excite me again is if they work with a producer like Joe Baresi, Nick Rasculinicksadkasnfdnasdk or Bob Rock. Someone who would get them to change direction a bit and put up a fight doing so. Brendan O’Brien would be good for cutting out the fat in their songs. I love the shit he did with Mastodon.

They just gotta stop letting Petrucci write lyrics/vocals. There’s no way he wasn’t behind “Invisible Monster”. That song title might work if they didn’t actually say it in the song, but actually saying it and referring to it as something dark and sinister with that lame ass vocal delivery….

I’m just going to stop now. Thankfully, they’ve given me plenty of music I absolutely love and I will cherish forever.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Mike, I think Mike is a MUCH better drummer. Some people think Mike is better and more suited to DT but I think Mike is perfect.
I prefer Mike over Mike, myself.

Did you know that James LaBrie's actual name is Kevin LaBrie, but he changed his name in order to avoid confusion between him and Kevin Moore? Aren't you glad the guys in Dream Theater had the foresight to avoid the name confusion? I bet Mike, Mike, John, and John are equally as relieved as I am.

Genome

Reaction score
Album is out today. I've given it a couple of listens and I enjoyed it - probably nothing that will shoot to top of the album rankings but it's a solid effort. It's quite dense, there are a lot of ideas packed in (sometimes to the detriment of a couple of the songs).

I will say though, Sleeping Giant is amazing. Easily the most inspired & creative song they've done since Mangini joined. It's so much better than the rest of the album it's actually kind of jarring.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Gotta give it a few more spins before I can analyze it properly, but at least I'm not disappointed so far.

TrevorT

Reaction score
I've been really enjoying the album. Only on my second listen but I think it's my favourite Mangini-era album, and it beats out several Portnoy-era albums for me as well. That main riff in Answering the Call is gonna be stuck in my head for days.

Latest posts