Dream Theater

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I totally agree with you.
Maybe the last show.
The instrument of Labrie has suffered by the time. No worry for Jordan.

It will cost me a leg and an arm but I will go to Lyon or Paris.
My very first concert of DT was “Touring into infinity”. I won’t miss this one. 160€ for two people + AirBnB + train or plane + meal … fuck! But yes I am a fan boy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
This is my exact gripe with the way they’ve been doing things since SFAM- get in the studio and just blast it out, figure out the arrangements via dry erase boards and Pro Tools instead of just jamming the songs out and letting them develop themselves. It’s been paint-by-numbers Dream Theater ever since.

It worked with SFAM because there was a well of inspiration/new member to draw from, but it’s been a continuous decline with each album release ever since for me.

They do jam the songs, though, at least judging from all the behind-the-scenes material I've ever seen. I don't think the process is the issue on the recent albums, it was the vision. Losing a big part of DT's identity in Portnoy as co-producer will do that.

I won't make the assumption that we'll get another classic album. However, bringing Portnoy's vision for DT's music back into the fold should only help matters, in my opinion.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Labrie and Portnoy are the only aspects of the band which grate on me. I hate prog singing and prog drum tones. I don't need everything on an album to sound like Disney's Tarzan OST on steroids. I love some of their older albums, I've seen them live two or three times, but christ I cannot stand Labrie's vocals or Portnoy's drums anymore.
That's why it was awesome seeing the Petrucci solo tour with Portnoy. Just the two of them jamming it out. I never paid for an actual DT show even though they always play in my city. I would probably doze off.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
They do jam the songs, though, at least judging from all the behind-the-scenes material I've ever seen. I don't think the process is the issue on the recent albums, it was the vision. Losing a big part of DT's identity in Portnoy as co-producer will do that.

I won't make the assumption that we'll get another classic album. However, bringing Portnoy's vision for DT's music back into the fold should only help matters, in my opinion.

If you don’t hear a difference between everything pre-2000 and everything post-2000, I’m jealous.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you don’t hear a difference between everything pre-2000 and everything post-2000, I’m jealous.
For me the cut is between Octavarium and Systematic Chaos. Love them or hate them, SDOIT, Train of Thought and Octavarium each had there own sound and new ideas in songwriting & style. Systematic Chaos is the album where it began to sound like DT by numbers for me. I believe Portnoy acknowledged that and wanted the band to take a break for a creative reset.

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A bit upset by the guitar advert.
They are about to launch a new album but he has to promote his new Majesty color.
Let's talk about art and not business!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I still say DoT was waaaaaaaay better than what they were doing at the time Portnoy left. Curious to see what this new album is
like but not exactly in the happy place a lot of guys are over his coming back.
Seriously, DT13 and DoT were killer records and were some of the best stuff they were doing since the early 2000s. Just sucks it was also surrounded by mid tier stuff. But like you said, the later stuff with Portnoy also was boring. Guess we'll see where it lands.

Gandalf shredder?, more like Santa Claus...
Seriously, he looks like Tim Allen in The Santa Clause lol

Latest posts