Dual action rod real hard to turn

• Thread starter cardinal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Just got a wonderful guitar except the truss rod is difficult to turn. I have it set up where I want it, and there seems to be about 90 degrees remaining in the tighten direction.

But it's quite difficult to turn. Really difficult.

1) would you be comfortable with having only 90 degrees left on a guitar in Standard with .009s?

2) Is it safe to try to lubricate the truss rod nut? It's a dual action with a male end nut, so I could try to put something like a penetrating oil down the center of the nut and it should reach the threads.

Thanks!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it kinda "crunchy" feeling, or smooth, just really stiff?

Some lube should be fine, it's not going to hurt anything.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Is it kinda "crunchy" feeling, or smooth, just really stiff?

Some lube should be fine, it's not going to hurt anything.
Thanks!

Smooth but very stiff. I'll put some penetrating oil onto a q-tip and try to get it into the center of the nut onto the threads.

Edit: not sure the penetrating oil had any effect. The rod definitely turns, as I've had it all over the place tonight. The range doesn't seem particularly abnormal compared to the other two guitars I just grabbed and tightened their rods to maximum. Those other guitars were easier to turn, but maybe it's none issue since it does turn without cracking/groaning/crunching.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.