Dual Rectifier - what's with people shitting on all 2000 and forward

• Thread starter hYpYz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hYpYz

Reaction score
I always hear and read about ppl only going for dual rectifiers from before 1996 or whatever year.

I never had a tube amp. I am set on buying one but that is months in to the future if not year but I cannot get an answer what is the big difference between old and new dual rectifiers.

I understand it's most likely the sound but it's hard for me to believe that if I would buy brand new Dual Rectifier I would be disappointed.

This might be stupid but the reason I am focusing on Mesa's is because whenever I pick up amps sims I always like DR sims the most and I like how they sound in videos and so on. If I were to buy one I would probably go for a used one but I want to know what is all the fuss about with the production year of the amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Pretty sure 94' or 96' was a year something changed with the transformers. I remember reading an interview with George Lynch talking about it. I'm sure more people will chime in. I don't know the specifics.
- I do know I've tried older and new Rectos (not sure which years or revisions specifically) and I like them all for the most part. Nothing stood out as being worse or better at the time. Obviously if you A/B'd them side by side there could be obvious differences, but that goes for even amps of the same make and model/year anyways sometimes.

- I hear a lot of people liking the Tremo-Verb the best.

Last edited:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Brand new Rectos are fine. The Multiwatts are good. I hated the two 3-channels I had that were in the version before the MW, they were flub city. All of the older 2-channels are good IMO.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I think multi watts came out in 2010 and people love them.

So yeah, i think it’s 2000 to 2010 that people don’t like.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think multi watts came out in 2010 and people love them.

So yeah, i think it’s 2000 to 2010 that people don’t like.

Yep this.
Rectos were constantly going through changes since the beginning (1991) all the way to 2010. Starting with the first Revisions, they sounded more tighter and brighter. Every latter revision got darker, fizzier, looser. All the way up until the first-gen 3-channel Rectos, which are probably the fizziest and loosest of the bunch. The 2010 Reborn series fixed that; made them tighter and brighter.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The early 3 channels are definitely flubby and fizzy. Nothing a boost pedal won't fix, but if you wanna just plug straight into an amp and play they are definitely not the one I'd get. I'd go for a multiwatt if that's the case.

That mostly goes for Modern mode, though. Vintage mode sounds killer but I get the feeling not many people use it.

MetalHead40

Reaction score
Personal preference, cork sniffery, and people trying to inflate value or trying to convince themselves the high price they paid for a "unicorn" is justified. There's no magic in any amp, cab, guitar, etc. It's all personal preference. I've bought amps that others have raved about and couldn't sell them fast enough.

The 2014 MW Dual I owned was a KILLER amp, but that's my opinion...you might not share that opinion. Won't know until you try one for yourself.

BadSeed

Reaction score
While I generally agree that people on the internet are morons and just parrot whatever they read from other internet idiots and tout it as fact, my opinion is, the 3 channel 2000-2010 Rectifiers are the worst of the bunch. I've owned multiple versions of all the mass produced Rectifiers, and currently own a 3 channel and multi watt, and am going to sell the 3 channel soon so I'm not just talking out of my ass.

They are loose, scooped and very fizzy. This can be dialed out to an extent, but it's inherent to the amps voicing and truly getting rid of the faults without some extreme external eq'ing is pretty tough.

Some people love them, and that's fine. This is all purely subjective anyways, but all of the models DO have distinct differences, and I personally think this one's bad reputation fits it accurately.

Shask

Reaction score
I always wanted a 2-channel Recto, so that was just what I bought. I wanted one for years, but couldn't afford them until later when the 3-channel models were out.

Reaction score
Because people are fucking stupid. The vast majority of these people have never even played a recto outside of finding a used one in Guitar Center and they couldn't tell which version is which. Then you have people who sit in forums rambling about shit some other idiot told them while having no experience.

Important lesson, don't listen to most musicians regarding such topics because an alarming amount of them have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. All it takes is for some big name to have allegedly used the very amp these people claim to hate and then it will be the only model that matters. Mind you LOTS of people claim the Recto is hard to EQ and a bunch of clips of them sounding like ass are around. I think people not knowing what they're doing feeds a lot of that "I gotta get a specific recto" hype.

I've heard all the recto versions throughout the years in various recordings, home studio tracks, in person, on stage, etc. They can all sound pretty good but the differences are more a thing of personal taste. You might prefer the multiwatt over the rev F, or the 2 channel over the 3 channel, or the dual over the triple but none of them are terrible. I'd dare to say they're all the recto sound you associate with the brand but the variants are just small tweaks on the overall idea.

Trust me if you're new to amps, a recto is a recto and you won't know much of a difference. If you're looking to get one I'd say just get the cheapest (but still good quality) used recto you can find and just go from there. Get used to that one so if and when you decide to try other variants you'll have some knowledge under your belt and a personal frame of reference on the recto sound. They're all good so any one you start with will serve you well.

Last edited:

mongey

Reaction score
I have a 2008 3 channel and couldve bought something else whenever if I wasn’t happy with it.

I’ve played a couple old 2 channels and don’t really see the hype. Sounds like a recto like mine.

I actually also really like the clean channel. At the moment its all I pretty
Much use. And that gets hate too.

I don’t get the hate , but each their own

Edika

Reaction score
I've only played the three channel Triple Rectifier. I loved that amp but it needed volume to open up. If you really want a recto and money is an issue, get the cheapest version that is being sold. It is still a great amp.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's been a LOT of great music made on every revision of Rectifier. I've never owned a 3 channel, pre or post 2010, but I'm sure there are good tones to be had there. I've owned an old 2 channel rev G and it still needed a boost just like most any Rec. Point being, you'll likely prefer some over others but don't count out anything before you do your research.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 3 Channel 2000-2010 Triple Recto. A boost in the front, turn the volume up and you have the ball busting YUUUGE distortion you associate with Rectifiers. I don't get why people crap on them other than 'my 2 chan is better than your 3 chan' smuggness.

Latest posts