Dumb Reaper question

• Thread starter feraledge
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
So whatever this is, I think I figured it out before to record via microphone, at it again...
I'm using a MacBook Pro with Reaper, M-Audio M-Track via USB. Trying to load TSE 50, which pulls up fine, but I can't get the guitar to register in it or, seemingly, any VST in Reaper. The guitar registers on the M-Track, will record in Audacity (where it doesn't appear I can use TSE).
I'm sure I'm doing something stupid... thoughts on what it might be?
Reaper reads M-Audio as the input. Whatever I'm doing, I can use a mic in there and be fine.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand your question. When you say "I can't get the guitar to register in any VST in reaper," do you mean when you play you can't hear yourself?

How are you monitoring? Are you monitoring directly through the M-Audio (so you hear whatever the device hears), or are you using software monitoring in Reaper? I THINK, for what you're trying to do, you need to plug into the instrument input in your M-Audio, select that as your input in the track you're recording to, and enable input monitoring on the track in Reaper (the button on the track that looks like a very stylized speaker). IF I understand your question right, at that point you'll be able to hear your guitar played back by Reaper, with any effects on the track (namely your TSE amp sim) enabled.

I could totally be misunderstanding your question, though.

feraledge

Reaction score
@Drew The issue is that the signal isn’t registering in the VST or in Reaper in general. The M-Track registers it fine and I can even straight record raw into Audacity. But I can’t seem to get that signal into Reaper. I have the input as the M-Track. I monitor from built in audio. All that is set, but the input obviously has something screwy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
It sounds like ASIO driver issue to me. What do your inputs/outputs look like in your preferences of Reaper?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
@Drew The issue is that the signal isn’t registering in the VST or in Reaper in general. The M-Track registers it fine and I can even straight record raw into Audacity. But I can’t seem to get that signal into Reaper. I have the input as the M-Track. I monitor from built in audio. All that is set, but the input obviously has something screwy.
Ok, that helps...

The M-track has two inputs, correct? A mic input and an instrument input? Are you changing which input is active, when you arm a track to record?

angl2k

Reaction score
Try this:

Arm the track for recording and play something so you can see the input signal bar going up.

If it does, right click on the track record button and choose monitor input.

feraledge

Reaction score
It sounds like ASIO driver issue to me. What do your inputs/outputs look like in your preferences of Reaper?
Screen_Shot_2018-04-24_at_11.21.50_PM.png

feraledge

Reaction score
Ok, that helps...

The M-track has two inputs, correct? A mic input and an instrument input? Are you changing which input is active, when you arm a track to record?

Try this:

Arm the track for recording and play something so you can see the input signal bar going up.

If it does, right click on the track record button and choose monitor input.
Screen_Shot_2018-04-24_at_11.23.40_PM.png

This is where I feel like I'm missing something. The only controls on the M-Track are the guitar line or "insert" line. Two inputs and a switch for guitar or mic level. I'm using the guitar input and the switch is on the guitar side. The M-Track registers the guitar, but am I missing something in terms of how Reaper is reading the M-Track? I'm not seeing it if so.

feraledge

Reaction score
Okay. Think I got it! Changed format to 41,000 Hz and it's working now! Thanks!