Duncan hot rails for rock /metal?

• Thread starter Soya
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Building a new guitar at the moment and thinking about trying some SD hot rails pickups for something different. I have a cheaper Dragonfire rails neck pickup in another guitar and I like it but I'm not sure how that style pickup would fair in the bridge for rhythms etc. Anybody have experience/opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I loved the Hot Rails, served as a great transition to passives after being an active guy for years. The only thing I’d say don’t be shy when adjusting the height, it’s definitely a hot pickup and not necessarily as versatile as a traditional humbucker.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Yeah that is a primary concern, squeezing enough juice out of it to have the output but maybe doesn't clean up well or is too compressed. I'd like to run a 5 way switch with them also for split sounds and wonder if they would be too weak then.

wakjob

Reaction score
If the Hot Rail is good enough for Dave Murry for all those years, I'd imagine it has some usefulness in a rock/metal context.

Dimarzio has some great railbucker offerings as well.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Yeah that is a primary concern, squeezing enough juice out of it to have the output but maybe doesn't clean up well or is too compressed. I'd like to run a 5 way switch with them also for split sounds and wonder if they would be too weak then.
DEFINITELY not too weak when split. The Hot Rails is also the reason every guitar I have must be wired with a split.

I never tried wiring it for parallel, I bet that would give a cleaner sound.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
DEFINITELY not too weak when split. The Hot Rails is also the reason every guitar I have must be wired with a split.

I never tried wiring it for parallel, I bet that would give a cleaner sound.

Excellent news, I'm open to parallel wiring also.

If the Hot Rail is good enough for Dave Murry for all those years, I'd imagine it has some usefulness in a rock/metal context.

Dimarzio has some great railbucker offerings as well.

Yeah my default plan was a H/S set of Dimarzios but since I have them in all my guitars I'm thinking about giving some Duncan's a shot to mix it up.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm curious about the Hot Rails myself. I got a Tele and I was orignally gonna twang with it, but I think I'm actually gonna load it up with something more... humbuckery. :lol:

Can the Hot Rails get muddy? I'm afraid they'd be pretty undefined and flubby.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've used the hot rails even in the neck and it was fine, but I think the cool rails retains more clarity & chime when you want it. With high gain amps & disto boxes, I think the cool rails is the more flexible option. The hot rails is a tad more compressed, the cool rails is rounder in my opinion.

wakjob

Reaction score
I'm curious about the Hot Rails myself. I got a Tele and I was orignally gonna twang with it, but I think I'm actually gonna load it up with something more... humbuckery. :lol:

They can get muddy...
But if you wire up a parallel/series switch or pot,
you'll have the option to clean it up with parallel mode.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score

Depends on the guitar/tuning etc
I wouldn't put Hot Rails in a naturally dark sounding 24.75" scale guitar tuned to Bb, for instance or at least it wouldn't be my first choice.
An inherently brighter guitar and you should be okay I reckon

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Depends on the guitar/tuning etc
I wouldn't put Hot Rails in a naturally dark sounding 24.75" scale guitar tuned to Bb, for instance or at least it wouldn't be my first choice.
An inherently brighter guitar and you should be okay I reckon

Well it's going in a basswood-loaded 25.5'' Tele that's going to be stuck in standard/drop D. So nothing extreme.

IGC

Reaction score
I used S.D. hotrails to hot rod a mexican strat and matching tele I owned in my early to mid 20's. In the strat I had the neck one, and in the tele I had the bridge tele hotrail. It's been like 16 years and I no longer have the guitars but I remember really liking them and no complaints paying for them new.
The bridge tele was not at all twangy with the stock pots, "fatter" beefier" sounding (not flubby) higher output is what I remember. I actually still have the Tele bridge in my junk drawer I accidentally pulled the thin coil wire from the eyelett and need re-solder it.