E-II Eclipse with ebony fretboard Vs Maple fretboard

• Thread starter Fierce_Swe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've found a store that sells a lot of ESP guitars and I will later on buy an Eclipse. They have a very nice Eclipse with a maple fretboard (and other ones with ebony boards)

My question is; will the maple one differ much in sound?

Since maple is a higher density wood than rosewood, will it sound closer to ebony?

Attachments

• e-ii_eclipse-ii_db-m_sw-stock.jpg
    e-ii_eclipse-ii_db-m_sw-stock.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 47

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jerm

Reaction score
The difference a fretboard makes on the sound is pretty much nil. If at all, it'll be a tad brighter than rosewood

Itchyman

Reaction score
An advantage I can think of with maple fingerboards is that you won't have to worry about lemon oil at all. Dirty? Just wipe it off with a damp cloth. Plus it looks awesome on that white Eclipse, especially with the black inlays.

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
The white Eclipse with the maple fretboard looks awesome I think!!! :)

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Just a note on this, from what I've seen they have a tendency to gloss the maple fretboard Eclipses fairly heavily. Still looks good, but it's not the same as tung oiled maple.
Whether it impacts the tone or not I can't say, but I find maple FBs to add a bit of snap which is nice for an all mahogany guitar IMO. Possibly indiscernible.

feraledge

Reaction score
All in all, that maple FB Eclipse is a sexy, sexy beast.

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
It sure is!!! :wub:

I cannot decide if I want that one or another white with a ebony fretboard but my heart says "Maple"!!! ;) If it sounds as good as the one with an ebony board I will definitely buy the one with the maple fretboard. :shred:

feraledge

Reaction score
It sure is!!! :wub:

I cannot decide if I want that one or another white with a ebony fretboard but my heart says "Maple"!!! ;) If it sounds as good as the one with an ebony board I will definitely buy the one with the maple fretboard. :shred:

There's no wrong answer here. If they have both on hand can you just try them back to back? No better science than what your ears prefer.
Either way, buy one, take some awesome pics, do an awesome NGD post!
:shred:

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
I will do that. But I can't try them because the store is in Germany and I live in Sweden. I haven't found any comparison video on YT either so that's why I try to do some research. :)

feraledge

Reaction score
I will do that. But I can't try them because the store is in Germany and I live in Sweden. I haven't found any comparison video on YT either so that's why I try to do some research. :)

Buy both, make the video, return one! :hbang:
Haha!
In all reality, I would just go with the one you think looks better.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I feel like most Eclipses have ebony boards anyways so go against the grain (lol, wood joke!) and get the maple.

I'm highly biased though, mable is my fav

stevexc

Reaction score
The difference between two otherwise identical electric guitars with two different fretboards made from two different materials will be on the same scale as the difference two different guitars with two different materials made from the same material - fairly minimal, and not very conclusive as to whether it's the fretboard material or a combination of a number of other small differences between the two instruments.

I'd go for the maple because maple looks cooler.

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
These are the two other ones I've been watching...:yesway:

Attachments

• esp-eclipse-ii-sd-sw-0102.jpg
    esp-eclipse-ii-sd-sw-0102.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 17
  • esp-e-ii-eclipse-ii-emg-sw-10.jpg
    esp-e-ii-eclipse-ii-emg-sw-10.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 16

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Are those from Promusictools in Germany? I've been drooling for the ESP's on that website since I was 15... Also those black inlays/binding on maple look absolutely sick!

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
Yes! They also have the E-II as a "true ESP model" Many nice guitars over there!

(Men köp nu inte alla så inte jag får någon!!! ;) ... )

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Yes! They also have the E-II as a "true ESP model" Many nice guitars over there!

(Men köp nu inte alla så inte jag får någon!!! ;) ... )

Don't you worry, man! Just started a new job so it will be a little while until I can get some new gear but my god if those guitars don't make you want to sell a kidney. How much is that eclipse anyways?

Fierce_Swe

Reaction score
Well, I have to wait a couple of months too but it's nice to have something to look forward to. The ones that I've showed cost from aprox. 1769 to 1899€.

The white one with the ESP logo on costs 2199€

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Gotcha'! The NGD will be pure sweetness I bet! What I love about that site is that they have some really cool esps that you wouldn't find anywhere else. Totally neat.