Each superior drummer cymbal to its own mic?

• Thread starter thevisi0nary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
is this possible? is this even desirable lol? im trying to break away from guitar pro but im so used to all the drums being present and upfront. In superior the cymbals sound flat and distant from each other.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I know, guitar pro cymbals sound so much different.

You'll need some proper mixing and leveling in order to get the best sound out of superior drummer.

It is not common practice to isolate drum cymbals, although you can definitely mess with the bleed of other elements into the overheads for instance, or fiddle with the ambient mics.

Generally go easy with the cymbal levels, as it's too easy to overdo it and leave them way too high in the mix to the point of them being obnoxious. On the other hand, if you have them too low they will end up buried. Therefore, you must research and try out EQ, compressor, mic etc tricks to keep them where they should be. Try out other people's patches to find out what they are doing.

Personally I'm using as a base a slightly tweaked Nolly's avatar preset, with a tad extra processing (compressor and reverb for the whole drumkit) outside of superior drummer.

thevisi0nary

Reaction score
I know, guitar pro cymbals sound so much different.

You'll need some proper mixing and leveling in order to get the best sound out of superior drummer.

It is not common practice to isolate drum cymbals, although you can definitely mess with the bleed of other elements into the overheads for instance, or fiddle with the ambient mics.

Generally go easy with the cymbal levels, as it's too easy to overdo it and leave them way too high in the mix to the point of them being obnoxious. On the other hand, if you have them too low they will end up buried. Therefore, you must research and try out EQ, compressor, mic etc tricks to keep them where they should be. Try out other people's patches to find out what they are doing.

Personally I'm using as a base a slightly tweaked Nolly's avatar preset, with a tad extra processing (compressor and reverb for the whole drumkit) outside of superior drummer.

Good perspective thanks for the info. Yeah im trying to detach from the non realism of guitar pro but im glad someone understands where im coming from lol

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
I think the Rock Warehouse expansion pack is the only one with close mic'd cymbals. At least from the packs I own, that's the only one.
I'd say in general, you don't want to have the cymbals completely isolated on their own channels, or mics. The bleed of the shells into the Overhead mics is a crucial part of the sound of a mic'd drum kit. Sometimes people will close mic some cymbals, like a China or a ride just to get it to pop more in the mix, but then those mics are automated in and not "on" all of the time.
With the flexibility of Superior's bleed control, if a certain cymbal is simply lacking on the overhead mics, you can turn it up and others down to get it to come through the way you want.
I used to be overwhelmed by Superior, but you really shouldn't over think it.

Sacha

Reaction score
You can control the volume of each cymbal separately in the Instrument panel, right click on kit piece, bottom right panel of main construct page.

Latest posts