Earnings in your country

• Thread starter Hajtosek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hajtosek

Reaction score
I was just wondering what are average earnings and spendings monthly where you live. I live in Poland and official stats says that average polish guy earns about 700$ (2700PLN) and spends about 550$ for living (bills). The truth about earnings is a bit different, because most of educated people (after university) can possibly get about 900-1000$ a month if they are good at their craft.

How is it in your countries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Promit

Reaction score
I mean, the statistics for every country overall are readily available, and of course these things vary widely within any given country. What are you looking for that Wikipedia doesn't already have?

Hajtosek

Reaction score
I'm looking for statements of actual people. Statistics are usually overstated and doesn't show anything about reality in certain country.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Properly collected statistics likely give you a better sample than a handful of analogies on a forum. :2c:

ferret

Reaction score
I'm looking for statements of actual people. Statistics are usually overstated and doesn't show anything about reality in certain country.

I think it'd be important to understand that this varies even within a single region, especially a large nation like the US with drastically different costs of living depending on state, and then city versus rural in each state.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I personally don't make that much as a student without a job. But the minimum wage here is about €1270 before taxes if i remember correctly. Most people with a full time job and the most basic level of education would earn about €1400 a month, if not a little more. For what i'm studying (History teacher, almost 0% chance for a job), the lowest possible (if i were to get a job) would be €2474 before taxes a month, which is a little below average.

levitator

listen to sabbath
Reaction score
I think it'd be important to understand that this varies even within a single region, especially a large nation like the US with drastically different costs of living depending on state, and then city versus rural in each state.

I was going to say exactly this. Even with a Degree, some will earn you 30k/year and others can earn you well over 100k/year...and region still matters. As for cost of living...My mother lives in Washington state, she pays 1200 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment...I live in Ohio where you can rent a 3 bedroom home in the country with a garage and full basement for 600+/month. Big difference.

remus1710

Reaction score
please don t be sad... i ve finished medical school... and the average salary in romania is 350$... for me

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about earrings in my country. I was gonna say, it seems like men wearing earrings picked up for a while but has already died out. I'm like the last one of my friends that still wears them I think. But I stretched my ears to 9/16", so the holes are still visible regardless of earrings; I figured it'd look classier to have gold in there instead of just scars. I know that when I was living in Japan they were still stuck on that 'Men only wear earrings in one ear' 1980s style.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Well to get on to the actual question:
In Denmark (where I live, duh!) saleries are much higher. For example I get approx 2000 Euro for NOT having a job (I just finished my degree). My housing (a flat somewhat away from central (but not the suburb) of Copenhagen) cost about 1000 euro. A liter of milk cost about 1$. The average income in DK is somewhere between 3000 - 4000 euro I think, but as stated all over this thread it totally depends on income.

I guess the reason why you ask is the low wages in Poland correct? Something along the lines of that the country has had great economic growth over the last ~10 years (since you got into EU), yet the salaries of average people are basicly unchanged?

Well to back that up, it is common to see Polish workers in Denmark: Maybe the father of a family goes here for several years to work, yearning double or triple of what he would get in Poland, and then returns. Since Poland and Denmark are both in EU this is quite easy to do, I don't even think you need a working permit or anything since they are EU citizens.

In regards to that it is also common to hire Polish craftsmen to do undeclared/unreported work (work where tax is not reported / paid) at your house or similar, as by not paying tax it is much cheaper, yet the craftsmen earn the same or more because they don't have to pay the ~40 - 50% tax that we have. Ofc it is illegal, and people who does this are assholes, yet it is very very common to the point where the Danish tax authorities have people driving around and performing checks in certain residental neighbourhoods haha

chopeth

Reaction score
Answering this being from my country is sad. No matter what you earn when more than 25% of the active population and 50% of people under 25 are unemployed and with no hope to find a job. We have just endured the regular economic world crysis together with a giant real state bubble. What made things even worse is the arrival to the power of the conservative ultra-liberalist party here. They just destroyed most proper jobs and converted them into plenty of small 4 hour mini-jobs. You need 2 or 3 to get a living in Spain, our market model is exhausted and the new goverment only works for the big companies, the rich, and the church. This created or strengthened the social and economic gap between those who earn more (new rich people record in my country, over 40% more) and those who doesn't even have to eat, 1 out of 3 of my fellow countrypeople are living in severe poverty, 25% of the Spanish kids need to go to community kitchens not to starve. The most frequent salary here is supposed to be 15.000€, but you can understand these data doesn't mean anything.

What amazes me more is that the ultracatholic corrupt liberal government in my country seems to be going to win again in a couple of months. I despise my nationality.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I live in India and had a decently good job for a recent graduate.
I earned 20k Rs which translates to 350 $ a month,
I spent about half of it for food, rent, internet etc. Went to movies 2 times a month and buy guitar strings every 3 months or so .

It was a comfortable life honestly and I had good career prospects. There is lot mediocrity in India and if you are good at whatever you do then earning a lot is pretty easy.

But, I am not satisfied with the work environment and culture. There is widespread corruption that you cannot escape. Working in a position of power means participating in it as well. Which I am not comfortable with.

metallkrieg

Reaction score
I live in Portugal, in the suburbs of Lisbon, where I also work.

I'm an Informatics Engineer (which is about as good as it gets in terms of number of jobs available here) with 5 years of experience. Bear in mind that my degree is from the top Engineering university in the country.

I earn about 2100€ a month after taxes, or 25k€ a year. I spend 500€ a month (actually 250€, as I'm illegible for a 50% help from the state) in my 3 bedroom apartment which is 40 years old but well kept, renewed and located in the second most expensive county in Portugal. I also spend another 250€ a month in food, Internet, electricity and gas.

Most people in Portugal complain about our quality of life, and some people really have it tough living in or under the poverty line. But if you choose a good field of study and work, you can have a great life, even better than in the Baltic countries where you earn more but also spend a lot more.

Latest posts