Easy-ish Dream Theater tunes?

• Thread starter Greegzoid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greegzoid

Reaction score
Probably a useless question but was wondering if there was any straight forward DT songs to practice? Getting into their stuff but everything I'm hearing is crazy shred or complex riffage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
"Pull me Under" and "On the Backs of Angels" are not super difficult as far as the main rhythm and clean sequences are concerned and are lots of fun to play.

"Metropolis Pt 1" is actually a lot of fun to play and barring some fast sequences throughout, is not super difficult.

"Outcry" has a reasonably complex main riff, but once you learn the pattern it's not so bad. It actually helped me a lot to learn that riff because it changed the way I thought about riffs in general.

Overtone

Reaction score
Finally Free is not too bad. Overture 1928 is technical but it's doable. And then there's stuff like The Silent Man. But in general... LOL. Easy and DT do not go hand in hand.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Finally Free is not too bad. Overture 1928 is technical but it's doable. And then there's stuff like The Silent Man. But in general... LOL. Easy and DT do not go hand in hand.

Yea, I was going to mention Overture 1928. That first run-down is a bitch though. I still can't play it at full speed...then again I really need to break out the metronome and work at it properly anyway.

Greegzoid

Reaction score

Yeah thought that, Easy DT is like asking MJ to stop touching kids, Impossibru!!!

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned The Count of Tuscany. C'mon guys! It's not too bad, just 1 or 2 really hard pieces. If you feel like tuning to C standard, A Nightmare to Remember isn't too much of a challenge. It still has 2 or 3 parts that are very, VERY difficult, but still incredible to play along to. I'd say that you could probably get about 90% of the way through without a hitch.

Hell, the whole Black Clouds Silver Linings album is great.

Has anyone ever tried to play Breaking All Illusions from A Dramatic Turn of Events? Nope. I at least have a shred of a life left.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Afterlife is a pretty easy track to play, my band used to do a cover of it - The solo is a bit tricky, but by far one of their easier tunes ;)

troyguitar

Reaction score
IIRC Surrounded is not a hard song at all, can't think of much else that doesn't have at least 1 hard part.

Straighteight2003

Reaction score
If you're not talking about whole songs, but part of them to practice I'd add
Constant Motion, Forsaken or The Ministry of Lost Souls
as nice songs with part in them that can be practised. For me, when it comes to the solo parts it'll not be in this life to play even one of them as they are played :)

Osorio

Reaction score
Er... It's not exactly their most popular stuff, but Peruvian Skies is extremely doable. All in all, Falling Into Infinity is by far their easiest album (and one of the best IMO). Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears are all really easy as well (but those are rather long and could pose a certain memorization problem).

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Er... It's not exactly their most popular stuff, but Peruvian Skies is extremely doable. All in all, Falling Into Infinity is by far their easiest album (and one of the best IMO). Lines in the Sand and Trial of Tears are all really easy as well (but those are rather long and could pose a certain memorization problem).

Yup, good suggestions here.

Besides the obvious acoustic'y' tunes (Silent Man, Regression, etc.) I would say work on Overture 1928. For one, it's only three and a half minutes long and two, it covers a lot of ground for what JP incorporates into much longer DT songs. And a fun all around tune to play to boot!

Matthew

Reaction score
Besides the ridiculous intro/post chorus riff, Never Enough minus the solo section is decent. The chorus is super fun and one of my favorites to play. I remember getting the initial timing down and bringing it up to speed to be the most difficult parts of the intro riff.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Under A Glass Moon isn't too bad. There are a couple of hard runs/licks in the solo, but for the most part it's very easy.

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
Wither and Burning My Soul are easy and fun. Through Her Eyes is easy/fun to play (and sing). Constant Motion is a good medium difficulty one to go after if you have a guitar in E standard, good picking hand workout as it never really stops (hence the title).

Root of All Evil is easy, its in Eb. The leads are not that tough. Stream of Consciousness as well, its just long. Again, easier solos and fun riffs.

D standard more your style? A Rite of Passage is my favorite DT tune to play along with.

Got a 7? In the Name of God is easy, has some great riffs, and no solo. The Dark Eternal Night has some sick riffs as well that aren't that tough.

Like C Standard? As I Am is really easy as far as the riffs are concerned. The solo is just speed, there is nothing overly difficult. It's all standard 3nps patterns. If you research the story behind that song and how it was conceived, you'll know why JP plays that solo in that specific way.

A problem with the DT stuff is Petrucci uses at least 6 different tunings between 6s and 7s when you sit down and think about it.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Wither and Burning My Soul are easy and fun. Through Her Eyes is easy/fun to play (and sing). Constant Motion is a good medium difficulty one to go after if you have a guitar in E standard, good picking hand workout as it never really stops (hence the title).

Root of All Evil is easy, its in Eb. The leads are not that tough. Stream of Consciousness as well, its just long. Again, easier solos and fun riffs.

D standard more your style? A Rite of Passage is my favorite DT tune to play along with.

Got a 7? In the Name of God is easy, has some great riffs, and no solo. The Dark Eternal Night has some sick riffs as well that aren't that tough.

Like C Standard? As I Am is really easy as far as the riffs are concerned. The solo is just speed, there is nothing overly difficult. It's all standard 3nps patterns. If you research the story behind that song and how it was conceived, you'll know why JP plays that solo in that specific way.

A problem with the DT stuff is Petrucci uses at least 6 different tunings between 6s and 7s when you sit down and think about it.

List is great, but "In the name of God" is in C standard and features some absolutely brutal sweeping and keyboard unison parts, the rest of the riffs are quite palatable though :)

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
List is great, but "In the name of God" is in C standard and features some absolutely brutal sweeping and keyboard unison parts, the rest of the riffs are quite palatable though :)

Ah hell, I'm getting In the Name of God mixed up with Honor Thy Father and Mother. It's definetly in C, but I learned it on a 7 in B Std. No real solo to speak of, a couple licks, tons of good riffs. JP uses so many damned tunings.

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
This is where you go out and buy more guitars so taht you have a guitar for every tuning scenario. No 2 of mine are in the same tuning.