EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 fingerboard comparison

• Thread starter Jujex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jujex

Reaction score
It seems like I have finally decided to go with a Family Reserve 7 for my first 7 string. My only question for you guys out there with JP7s and BFR7s is the difference between the Ebony Board and the Rosewood one.
I am looking at a couple and one is Rosewood and the other Ebony. As a Jackson player I just love Ebony boards but the finish on the Rosewood is more to my liking.
Is there a difference performance wise between the two? or is it mostly cosmetic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musiscience

Reaction score
It seems like I have finally decided to go with a Family Reserve 7 for my first 7 string. My only question for you guys out there with JP7s and BFR7s is the difference between the Ebony Board and the Rosewood one.
I am looking at a couple and one is Rosewood and the other Ebony. As a Jackson player I just love Ebony boards but the finish on the Rosewood is more to my liking.
Is there a difference performance wise between the two? or is it mostly cosmetic?

The radius of the fingerboard is different.The JPX (ebony) is 15in radius like the standard BFR. On the JPXI and JP12 (both ebony) it's a 20in radius. The JP13 (rosewood) is 17in radius. There is also wood differences between them other than the fingerboard.

In the end they are all great guitars, so it's really a question of taste. If you like ebony I would advice sticking with it because rosewood just doesn't feel the same in my opinion.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
Yes and no/maybe, depends on your ability or technique. Yes in they are the same quality and playability, and no/maybe because of your conditionals, including your proficiency etc. They are all great necks, but as far as the fingerboards, looking at the radius degree might be important too?

edit
just saw the post previous. it was posted while I was replying, but hes totally on point, now you gotta try! lol

good luck

Jujex

Reaction score
They are both BFRs so they have similar tonewoods for the body. Unfortunately there are no petrucci BFR 7 strings in Vancouver stores so that's why I need the advice, I have tried JP6s and even though they are rosewood, they are pretty comfortable.
As for the Radius of the neck of the 7 string ones, I'll see what I can find out about them. One is a 2008 model, the other I'm not sure.

Musiscience

Reaction score
They are both BFRs so they have similar tonewoods for the body. Unfortunately there are no petrucci BFR 7 strings in Vancouver stores so that's why I need the advice, I have tried JP6s and even though they are rosewood, they are pretty comfortable.
As for the Radius of the neck of the 7 string ones, I'll see what I can find out about them. One is a 2008 model, the other I'm not sure.

A lot of JP have the BFR logo, but only one model is the Petrucci BFR. Is it possible to show us pics of the guitars? That would be most helpful.

i thought the JPX was a 16 inch radius?

According to EBMM's site it's 15".

Warg Master

Weeping strings...
Reaction score
JPX is definitely 15. The JPX was right before they started playing with the radius.

Jujex

Reaction score
A lot of JP have the BFR logo, but only one model is the Petrucci BFR. Is it possible to show us pics of the guitars? That would be most helpful.

According to EBMM's site it's 15".

Funny that you asked that, The guitar I was looking into was sold so I can't find that for you but interesting that you say that so even if it has the BFR logo it can be a JP and not a family reserve?
I didn't know that.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
Yeah, my JP12 has the BFR marker and fancier BFR case, but the JP#'s are anniversary models, if I recall correctly. They are fancy like BFRs, and some come with fancy if not fancier tops than the BFRs, but actual BFRs have a little different specs.

I just got my JP12 so I am still in the honeymoon period. I went for it over the BFRs mainly for the spec differences, the JP12 had the 20" radius I wanted and ebony board.

Performance wise, unless you have long nails that would dig into the grain of the rosewood fretboard, your fingers will probably never even touch the fretboard.

Tonally, ebony generally sounds a little closer to how maple would sound. The upkeep on it is a little higher than rosewood, as if it dries out it can crack, which is no bueno.

Rosewood is generally regarded as a little more pronounced midrange, still needs conditioned like ebony, but it probably won't crack on you.

The fretboard wood is just one small piece in a very large tone pie. Either will be great.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Yeah, my JP12 has the BFR marker and fancier BFR case, but the JP#'s are anniversary models, if I recall correctly. They are fancy like BFRs, and some come with fancy if not fancier tops than the BFRs, but actual BFRs have a little different specs.

I just got my JP12 so I am still in the honeymoon period. I went for it over the BFRs mainly for the spec differences, the JP12 had the 20" radius I wanted and ebony board.

Performance wise, unless you have long nails that would dig into the grain of the rosewood fretboard, your fingers will probably never even touch the fretboard.

Tonally, ebony generally sounds a little closer to how maple would sound. The upkeep on it is a little higher than rosewood, as if it dries out it can crack, which is no bueno.

Rosewood is generally regarded as a little more pronounced midrange, still needs conditioned like ebony, but it probably won't crack on you.

The fretboard wood is just one small piece in a very large tone pie. Either will be great.

I agree with everything you said except for the fretboard feel. I have guitars with maple, rosewood, ebony and carbon/glass fiber boards and they all feel different. My finger definitely touch the board from time to time and for me ebony and carbon/glass are the best feeling boards.

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
Rosewood seems warmer to me. It also has the added appeal (in my opinion) of taking on some personality and soaking up your own hands oils and getting darker in the areas you play most.

Ebony is brighter (I think, but not a lot), a bit darker shade, and that's the extent of my knowledge on ebony.