EBMM JP16

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

knet370

Reaction score
i see what john did here..wanting a ibanez lo pro but couldnt put one in the jp16. :)

Jujex

Reaction score
You know what they should've done instead?

Make a fixed bridge 6/7 JP with no Piezo and a new bolt on profile for easier access specially for a 7.

As much as I love the piezo, this would be cheaper than the current 7s(in the 2000-2200 range) and it's all you need. Mahagony body and Ebony board preferred as well.

ej207t

Reaction score
According to this, It does indeed have a piezo JP 16 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

But how do you turn it on? Unless that's a mistake.

I'm also not sold on the price though. For an extra 300 you get 3 pieces of roasted timber instead of one, a proprietary ebmm bridge (which I'm guessing might cost more to make than buying the equivalent frtp1000 bridges), and a burst finish instead of a solid color with flakes.

Not sure if I have the math right, but 2500 seems a bit much.

In saying that, its around the same ballpark figure as a Jackson dk1 isn't it? which doesn't sound too bad considering one has a signature on it and the other does not.

I love this thing but, yeah, price.... Actually... On I dunno this guitar is too tricky to price.

I guess it's best to reserve judgement till it hits stores. Maybe pricing will change... Slightly..

Also I think this 'smokey' ebony, at some point, was undesirable so they used to chuck these pieces out. Can't remember what company video it was, one that predominantly builds acoustics, where the lumber yard were throwing these out and the company was wtf why???

A-Branger

Reaction score
According to this, It does indeed have a piezo JP 16 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

But how do you turn it on? Unless that's a mistake.

Also I think this 'smokey' ebony, at some point, was undesirable so they used to chuck these pieces out. Can't remember what company video it was, one that predominantly builds acoustics, where the lumber yard were throwing these out and the company was wtf why???

Its a mistake,

there no other mention on either the main description of the guitar, or the bridge type. Also there is no volume knob control, no toggle switch, and only one jack out put, the JP line always have the two jacks slots. Plus if you check the wiring diagram there is no mention of piezzo either

The company you mention is Taylor guitars

I still think "smokey ebony" its a fancy way to say a non pure black ebony, which they are trying to sell it as a "wow" feature like roasted maple is.

still think this is a "fan made" JP and not a "Petrucci made" one.... EDIT: after a quick look at the Ernie ball forums (I think we have managed to talk more about this guitar than they do lol), there is a lot of mixed feelings about the guitar, I though they would be jumping all over it, but it seems mayority dont like it or they feel "meh" about it so far

ej207t

Reaction score
The company you mention is Taylor guitars

I still think "smokey ebony" its a fancy way to say a non pure black ebony, which they are trying to sell it as a "wow" feature like roasted maple is.

Thats the one!

The whole 'smokey' ebony thing reminds me of a tradie with winnie blues rolled up his shirt.

Kemper

Reaction score
First I was a bit impressed and I thought that I pull the trigger on the JP16, but all in all I´m happy with my JP12. Nice neck, nice trem, piezzos etc. I´m curious how JP will explain this guitar. Something like I wanted this one Music Man USA John Petrucci JP6 BFR - Black Sugar Roasted Neck Limited Edition | ProMusicTools with a korean trem?

No offence to EBMM, but the JP16 reminds me of a SBMM version of the JP16. The FR 1000 for itself is a deal breaker. But Brian from SBMM is happy for sure. SBMM can use the same FR that EBMM uses on their guitars ;-)

They should put in a Gotoh GE1996T, I think this trem matches the neckradius better than the FR 1000 (without shims).

RUSH_Of_Excitement

Reaction score
So, Reverb posted this video https://youtu.be/5rgAhzkFRJA And at around the 2:40 mark, John says it's equipped with the floyd rose pro? Also, in the subsequent close up it does appear to have piezo saddles although I'm still skeptical on that because the specs don't seem to line up with that. The finish and the smokey ebony are killer though

electriceye

Reaction score
I love the headstock on this one. Normally I prefer same color or black, but the roasted birdseye?? MMMMM MMMM!!!

Although, if I had the cash, I'd go for the Majesty instead. I grabbed one at GC last year and I LOVED the size and weight. Felt like a sports car guitar, if you will.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So, Reverb posted this video https://youtu.be/5rgAhzkFRJA And at around the 2:40 mark, John says it's equipped with the floyd rose pro? Also, in the subsequent close up it does appear to have piezo saddles although I'm still skeptical on that because the specs don't seem to line up with that. The finish and the smokey ebony are killer though

It's a 1000-series Floyd Rose Pro. It's basically Floyd's take on a Lo-Pro Edge.

Vairish

Reaction score
I think A-Branger is right. The one at Namm does not appear to have piezos:

7Prz8er.jpg

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I suppose I'm in the minority, but I really like the natural headstock, especially with the black body/fretboard. Really cool contrast, imo.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If they made a SBMM of the JP16, it would probably be the only JPX-style guitar I'd buy. :lol:

And would be able to afford.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I see it the more I think about Steve Morse :shrug:

You say that like it's a bad thing?

mm-steve-morse-bfr-dark-lord-8569.jpg

But with that said, I prefer the look of my 7-string JP Stealth (stock photo)... and it only cost me $1200 used in mint condition. If I was going to buy another and pay that kind of money it would be a PDN or JP15.

(If I wanted a EBMM with a floyd that bad, I'd buy a german OFR, an older JP7 off CL or ebay, and have it installed by a luthier... still prob cheaper.)

JP7StealthPiezoNoInlaycollage2.jpg

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
I like it. It is more pointy and sleek, more like an RG (maybe Petrucci has a bit of nostalgia for his old Ibanez models?). Not sure what to think about the floyd, and even if it has a piezo, how is he supposed to control it without the switch? Seems strange. But I like that, even though it is black, they made an effort to differentiate it with the smokey fretboard and neck, unfinished headstock, and the brown sparkle. But I agree that overall, it seems overpriced.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
http://youtu.be/sGQmBjZF-kg

New video where JP talks about the JP16

Thanks for the video, gives a better idea of what the guitar looks like in-person. No doubt the production necks will be a bit less figured than the one shown here, but the colour of the maple nonetheless matches the body colour very well. Also add me to the list of people that love the look of the unmatched headstock; combined with the black hardware it looks fantastic. The blacked out bobbins on the pickups are also a nice touch.

All that having been said, it does seem to me that this model steps on the JP6/7's toes a little bit. Both are basswood, have an arm scoop, come in a non-piezo variant, and are pitched as being more straightforward guitars than the other alternatives in the line. This basically seems like the same guitar with some added 'upgrades' that I'm sure JP has become accustomed to: the new neck radius, the Illuminators, the new body shape, etc. just to name a few. Ever since the release of the newer models (the JP BFR through to the JP15), JP has always talked about the original JP6/7 as being the guitar for his classic sound, i.e. the sound on the earlier albums from Images and Words through to Octavarium, but especially toward the earlier end of that spectrum. Even though he was using Ibanez for quite a few of those albums, his first EBMM was a surrogate for that guitar; the JP16 seems to follow that trend of 'Ibanez replacements'. The addition of the floyd seems to make that especially clear.

Anyway, there's not really a point to this post, but it does make me wonder if Sterling's famous phrase, 'our artist models are not dictated by the market, only the artist' still rings true. JP and EBMM have been rolling with this 'new year, new model' release schedule for at least six years now, and it does seem to me that this model makes more sense from a business point of view than a practical one. And this isn't to .... on Sterling or anything, especially since JP has always been adamant that his fans be able to get their hands on just about every guitar he plays. I'm sure this is just another example of him requesting a new guitar for an upcoming album, and then asking for it to be sold so fans can get their hands on it too. Nor am I really complaining about the guitar--it looks fantastic and more options in the line-up are better than fewer.

But yeah, there's definitely a lot of overlap between this guitar and the original JP6/7, albeit this one has a floyd and perhaps serves as a bit of a modern 'replacement'. It works well with respect to being competitive in the market and gives them a new guitar to sell this year, but I don't really see it occupying an unfilled niche in the JP line-up.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Also, IDK if this was mentioned yet, but this guitar will be available as a 7 string version, which is nice.

katsumura78

Reaction score
I think my biggest issue with EBMM is the lack of color options on the anniversary models. The XI is one of my favorites but it'd be really nice to order that in the same color as the JP16. I hate Floyd rose bridges and it's because I've never been good at setting them up. Takes forever and the trade off isn't worth it when the custom JP bridge has been solid for years.