EBMM JP7 Help

• Thread starter Mark 7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark 7

McLeod!
Contributor
Reaction score
So I christened my JP7 last night at a gig. I Changed the tuning to Eb Friday night to give the springs a chance to warm in. I played it (wanked) for a while yesterday before leaving and through my gig rig and I did notice that it needed tuning adjustment periodically and (through habit) I went to stretch them and well that doesn't work with these Schaller locking tuners! It stayed in tune OK for the first set that I played it. Then I went to the CST for the 2nd set. I know I'll get singed here, but I really know why I play Ibanez guitars now - first & foremost, the tuning stability on an Edge trem is second to none IMO (in MY opinion - just an OPINION of mine no bashing here) :flame:

However, I'm not dumb enough to ignore the legions that play the JP model who think it's the shit, I'm simply not used to it. My questions are:

- Can you stretch the strings with those locking tuners?
- I notice the pups are very close to the strings making them hotter but they are bottomed out - is this the case on these?
- Any set up tips?

I know my Ibanez trem set-ups in my sleep, but just need some help on these realizing that they don't suck, it's just different that anything else I've had.

All comments are welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mark 7 said:
- Can you stretch the strings with those locking tuners?
Strings don't necessarily "stretch"... most of the tuning instability comes from the layers of windings around the tuning posts settling in and shifting around as the strings are brought up to tension. Locking tuners help reduce this tremendously by making it no longer necessary to have multiple wraps of string around the tuning post to "lock" the string into place. You put the string through the post, pull it taut, tune up and you should ideally have less than half a revolution around the post, which should reduce or eliminate slippage.

I have to say, this is the first i've heard of anyone tuning a guitar down to give the springs a chance to "break in". Maybe the tuning instability you experienced was a result of the trem and the neck relaxing against the reduced tension. I would have left it as it was, especially right before a gig.

Mark 7

McLeod!
Contributor
Reaction score
darren said:
I have to say, this is the first i've heard of anyone tuning a guitar down to give the springs a chance to "break in". Maybe the tuning instability you experienced was a result of the trem and the neck relaxing against the reduced tension. I would have left it as it was, especially right before a gig.

We tune to E flat and it came to me in standard tuning is why I de-tuned it. I did it a day earlier than we played so the springs would have a chance to adjust to a different tension.

I understand about stretching - it was just habit as I forgot about the locking tuners.

Nothing more than that for set up?

Freddie

aka zEr0
Reaction score
Hey Mark,

I have no advice for you but I was wondering how you feel about the neck in comparison with your CST. I'm currently working on a deal to swap my J.custom for a Petrucci seven cuz I find the Ibanez to have a neck which feels too thin for my hands. I'm looking for something roundier.

Do you think the JP7 is a good alternative?

:wavey:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My JP7 stayed in tune as well as any Ibanez I've ever had. Maybe it's because your JP7 is brand new and the springs need to get broken in.

Mark 7

McLeod!
Contributor
Reaction score
Freddie said:
Hey Mark,

I have no advice for you but I was wondering how you feel about the neck in comparison with your CST. I'm currently working on a deal to swap my J.custom for a Petrucci seven cuz I find the Ibanez to have a neck which feels too thin for my hands. I'm looking for something roundier.

Do you think the JP7 is a good alternative?

:wavey:

I do. I think the neck profile on the JP7 is fantastic. I just went and felt each and the JP7 is rounder - no flat spot in the middle.

zimbloth said:
My JP7 stayed in tune as well as any Ibanez I've ever had. Maybe it's because your JP7 is brand new and the springs need to get broken in.

Yeah - I'm not saying it was horrendous, I'm just making sure to know as much as possible the same way I did with Edge trems and their set-up.

I'm not saying anything bad about the JP7 at all - it's a great guitar (better than I thought it would be).

Latest posts