Edge III String Breakage

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have this same issue on your RG2228. Im using .80 for low E (would prefer even thicker), and i have to cut the string multiple times due to it unwinding when i tune up.

Im shit at explaining this so here are some pictures

Gallery link: https://postimg.cc/gallery/RWKr1s4

I would love to step up the gauge, but im unsure if the problem would get even worse.

Let me know what you think.

nickgray

Reaction score
Maybe crimp the end a bit with pliers and use the pliers to bend the string before putting it? No idea if it'll help, but this would be my first course of action.

Alternatively, you can try unwiding the end a bit and clamping the core.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The old trick is to solder the end of the string so it doesn't unravel once you cut on the wound part.

You can also string the ends the other way around, ball end at headstock, and clamp the part of the string just before the final wound part.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
Thank you both nickgray and MaxOfMetal!

I had no idea you could solder it!

The other method you mentioned Max, do you mean to use the tapered bit (the coil) to fasten it to the bridge? Thats interesting, never thought you could do that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you both nickgray and MaxOfMetal!

I had no idea you could solder it!

The other method you mentioned Max, do you mean to use the tapered bit (the coil) to fasten it to the bridge? Thats interesting, never thought you could do that.

Basically you lock the string end so that the wholly wound part is sitting on the saddle and you just snip whatever you need off the end. Usually that part of the wind is less prone to unraveling.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I've never really had this problem. I've only had strings that don't fit slipping out. There is some trick to getting the pressure right that it holds but doesn't force the string out.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The way that is unraveling looks the string isn't being seated fully at the bottom of the cavity before you're tightening the block. When I was tuning down to F/G on my Floyd Rose 6 string I had to back the block screw out the point the block was basically falling out and make sure the string was making contact with the bottom of the cavity before tightening it, and keeping the string straight and perpendicular to the bridge plate until it was tight.