Elixir Strings sold out? (The Elixir strings availability thread)

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to get a few single 0.68 Elixir strings and they are sold out on all pages I have looked at.
JusstStrings, StringsAndBeyond and StringsByMail. Any idea where else I could look?

Also since I am at it, I play 9-42 sets with an additional 56 in B Standard 25.5 scale. My plan is to use a set of 10-56 and a 68 in A Standard. It's working great on my other guitar. But I can't seem to find the 10-56 set from Elixir. Could it be it's a different set? That 6th definitely feels and looks 52 and over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Elixir doesn't offer a 10-56 six string set: here's their full range of offerings:

https://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar-strings/electric-nickel-plated-steel-nanoweb-coating

Supply chain issues are impacting pretty much everything these days, I suspect the issue is Juststrings doesn't have individual 68s because Elixir can't keep up with demand. they disclose as much on this page, but also provide a link to online retailers - I'd try that. You might be out of luck though.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I had to switch to Stringjoy as .68's without buying a full set of strings got kind of hard to get for me without spending 5 bucks a string and then shipping.

I really like them personally, seems to keep that snappy top end a bit longer than its EB counterparts. 7 string set is almost 14 bucks though, which is about what I used to spend buying multiple packs and picknchosing.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Almost every shop I reached out to about ordering single Elixirs said that they are banned from doing so by the manufacturer due to lack of supply or something to that affect.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
0.68" That's more than 2/3 of an inch. You must be tuning lower than even elephants can hear. No wonder they don't have any.

Adieu

Reaction score
Rly? 68 sounds about right for Drop A

Oh wait that's mils... I see what you did there

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
0.68" That's more than 2/3 of an inch. You must be tuning lower than even elephants can hear. No wonder they don't have any.
:D hahaha just realized I did the same thing in my post...

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
in fairness, they were lacking in any single strings, basically any size, when I checked.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
For everyone who rightfully missed the joke as I almost did, our dear @bostjan cleverly pointed out we are typing over half an inch, .6 of an inch, where we are looking for point ZERO six eight of an inch. lol. All in good fun as we understood what he meant, and even I used it in my post incorrectly oops.

neurosis

Reaction score
Hahahahah!!!! Love these replies.

I clearly meant that. I only use chains for strings on my axe.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In all seriousness, though, Elixirs are very difficult to get right now. In the past, I tried making my own teflon and adhesive, but teflon being teflon, doesn't like to stick to anything. There's a sort of a way using contact primer and very strong adhesive, but the chemicals are mildly dangerous and the end result is rough at best.

Unfortunately the only solution right now is to not use coated strings...

neurosis

Reaction score
In all seriousness, though, Elixirs are very difficult to get right now. In the past, I tried making my own teflon and adhesive, but teflon being teflon, doesn't like to stick to anything. There's a sort of a way using contact primer and very strong adhesive, but the chemicals are mildly dangerous and the end result is rough at best.

So what would be a good alternative that's currently available?

nickgray

Reaction score
Elixir only makes basic sets now, anything even remotely fancy, including single strings, has been unavailable for a year, if not more. They claimed that the shortage will start resolving around mid summer, but here we are. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe they'll start shipping in a month, maybe in a year, maybe never, who knows.

The thing with Elixirs is that their plains are corrosion resistant. Imo, it's a way more valuable thing than coated wounds because the plains turn to shit way before wounds.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Elixir only makes basic sets now, anything even remotely fancy, including single strings, has been unavailable for a year, if not more. They claimed that the shortage will start resolving around mid summer, but here we are. So I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe they'll start shipping in a month, maybe in a year, maybe never, who knows.

The thing with Elixirs is that their plains are corrosion resistant. Imo, it's a way more valuable thing than coated wounds because the plains turn to shit way before wounds.
So funny people have this experience. I don't ever let my strings get shitty really, as I hate when the bass strings lose their sparkle and spank, but in my experience comes way way way before my high strings corrode or feel creaky. Stringjoys are lasting me about 3 weeks before the high end is pretty "gone" (relatively speaking) where I was getting about a week and a half or two weeks with Ernie Balls. But then again I could get two packs of EB for one pack of SJ... Alas convenience.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Elixir single strings from 56 to 80 are almost impossible to find.

just go for d'addarios, the NXYL series has a 66 or 70 as single strings.

neurosis

Reaction score
Elixir single strings from 56 to 80 are almost impossible to find.

just go for d'addarios, the NXYL series has a 66 or 70 as single strings.

Are the NXYL similar to Elixir? I usually buy the EXL stuff with good results. Is the NXYL worth the extra price point?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Are the NXYL similar to Elixir? I usually buy the EXL stuff with good results. Is the NXYL worth the extra price point?
Honestly, no. Elixirs are not really like anything else, IMO. NYXLs are nice, though. I don't know what process makes them NYXL, but they feel more like annealed string than coated strings, if that makes sense.

Latest posts