Elixir Strings sold out? (The Elixir strings availability thread)

neurosis

Reaction score
Honestly, no. Elixirs are not really like anything else, IMO. NYXLs are nice, though. I don't know what process makes them NYXL, but they feel more like annealed string than coated strings, if that makes sense.

I suppose the core of the string is different. I just looked it up and it seems to be some hexagonal thing. Not sure how that changes the feel of the strings.

Digging through my toolbox I found a .064 and 0.68 string and I have a pack of 10-52s... I suppose that will be fine for A Standard on this 7-string since it's essentially D Standard and that's the gauge I use for it on a six string.

Not sure if the 68 will be too far from the 52 in terms of feel. I believe what's on the guitar now is a 56, but I could be wrong. My caliper doesn't go beyond 2 decimals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
I suppose the core of the string is different. I just looked it up and it seems to be some hexagonal thing

The norm is either round core or hex core. Most strings are hex core.

Afaik, NYXL is the like their "premium" string. Supposed to stay in tune better, last longer, sound better, they're harder to break, and they'll tell you a nice bedtime story too. Ernie Ball also has their own version - Paradigm. I haven't found any real info, it's mostly marketing mumbo jumbo. Just try them out. Personally, I care the most about corrosion resistance, and NYXL weren't really different from the regular D'Addarios for me.

neurosis

Reaction score

Afaik, NYXL is the like their "premium" string. Supposed to stay in tune better, last longer, sound better, they're harder to break, and they'll tell you a nice bedtime story too. Ernie Ball also has their own version - Paradigm. I haven't found any real info, it's mostly marketing mumbo jumbo. Just try them out. Personally, I care the most about corrosion resistance, and NYXL weren't really different from the regular D'Addarios for me.

I think I have some strings I can use before I buy more. Just need to see if this 10-52 and the 68 will work for A Standard in this guitar.Thanks for weighing in!

neurosis

Reaction score
Now I am wondering if the 8 string set 10-64 would be a smarter choice financially, just not sure the 64 would be enough combined with that 54 for a 6th.

what do you guys think?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Yeah, the NYXLs were good strings, but nothing unusual from a string life standpoint, nor were they really intended to be (at least, not to the degree Elixirs are).

Their EXPs, however, were pretty good - probably closer to what Elixir released as their Optiweb strings, with an even thinner coating that feels and sounds more like a "normal" string. They wore out a little faster than Elixirs, but were wuite nice. I go back and forth between them and Elixirs on my acoustic.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm very resistant to the NYXL's because of all the marketing stuff. In general, if I see a product being force-fed to the public, I'm extremely cautious about trying it out. In my experience, the product never lives up to the hype or marketing. With that being said, if Elixir doesn't get their stuff together I may be forced to switch...

nickgray

Reaction score
I may be forced to switch...

NYXLs? I tried one set of them a few months ago, a 12-54 set, and it lasted me about the same as a regular 12-54 set. The plains started getting rusty in about a week I think. Their new fancy XT strings are lousy too, they claim they treat their plains, but I've literally had the plains rusting within 3 hours of playing, no kidding.

It got so bad, I bought a 10-56 Optiweb set just for the 56 string. Put it with a 9-42 on a seven string. That's the most expensive single string ever because I don't have a use for a 10-46 set currently.

What really annoys me is that I don't even need their wounds, I don't mind regular uncoated wounds, it's the plains that keep rusting on me. But they make the plains for the sets that are available now, they just don't sell them as single strings. You know what, I have a Dunlop 10-60 or whatever on a 7 in A standard that I put on recently, I think I'll switch those plains to Elixirs from that 10-56 set. That's actually a pretty good idea...

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So funny people have this experience. I don't ever let my strings get shitty really, as I hate when the bass strings lose their sparkle and spank, but in my experience comes way way way before my high strings corrode or feel creaky.

Thing is, with Elixirs that never happens. They stay "new" until they fucking break. Having used D'addarios all my guitar life, they're like witchcraft to me. What's funny is that now I only change strings whenever I want to clean the damn fretboard :lol:

My "test" guitar had a set for over a year until they started breaking. The remaining ones still looked like new :nuts:

NYXLs? I tried one set of them a few months ago, a 12-54 set, and it lasted me about the same as a regular 12-54 set. The plains started getting rusty in about a week I think. Their new fancy XT strings are lousy too, they claim they treat their plains, but I've literally had the plains rusting within 3 hours of playing, no kidding.

That's disappointing. I had read they were very similar to Optiwebs but looser in tension, which was very appealing in paper.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone's body chemistry, frequency of playing, and many other environmental factors effect how long strings last. It's silly to go off of individual accounts, especially when a set of string is so cheap.

Buy'em, try'em, toss'em, and move on.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't DR strings make 10-56's? I think they're Alexi's signatures unless I'm mistaken. I'd give that a shot.

I'm not married to any string, but I've taken a liking to D'addario.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I'm very resistant to the NYXL's because of all the marketing stuff. In general, if I see a product being force-fed to the public, I'm extremely cautious about trying it out. In my experience, the product never lives up to the hype or marketing. With that being said, if Elixir doesn't get their stuff together I may be forced to switch...

I tried NYXLs years ago and stuck with XLs. No problems with the NYs, but there was not enough of an improvement in any way to switch. Plus, the gauges are more limited.

I wish someone sold single Dunlop strings. Those are what I've found the best of the "normal" strings.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
Was wondering if I could email Elixir and buy a set of 10-59s in bulk, but it seems like if even dealers can't get them in then I'm probably out of luck haha.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Was wondering if I could email Elixir and buy a set of 10-59s in bulk, but it seems like if even dealers can't get them in then I'm probably out of luck haha.
Worst thing that could happen is that they'd say no.

Well, actually, I guess the worst thing that could happen is that your email is intercepted by extraterrestrial creatures who decide to invade the earth, but the worst realistic scenario is that they'll just say no.

neurosis

Reaction score
Worst thing that could happen is that they'd say no.

Well, actually, I guess the worst thing that could happen is that your email is intercepted by extraterrestrial creatures who decide to invade the earth, but the worst realistic scenario is that they'll just say no.

And the best that could happen is that they say yes and then we can order them, too. That way when the invasion starts at least we will have one last thing to enjoy before the horror :D

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Bumping this one because I was just able to order, on backorder, some .054 and .064 Optiwebs from Strings By Mail. Checked a couple of months ago and this backorder option was not available. Their site says they’ll contact if the backorder looks like it’ll be more than 3 weeks.

So hopefully those I mentioned and the 9-42 I ordered will be here fairly soon.

neurosis

Reaction score
Bumping this one because I was just able to order, on backorder, some .054 and .064 Optiwebs from Strings By Mail. Checked a couple of months ago and this backorder option was not available. Their site says they’ll contact if the backorder looks like it’ll be more than 3 weeks.

So hopefully those I mentioned and the 9-42 I ordered will be here fairly soon.
Thanks for the update!

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Update:

Strings By Mail just sent out the .054 and .064 Optiwebs apparently. They had sent the 9-42 set last week and had these two on backorder still. I’ll update again when they get here, but it looks like the more oddball Elixir gauges are becoming easier to get again.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
They've lied several times to me about getting single strings. If I could go elsewhere, I'd be very tempted. Unfortunately, what I've tried of the competition socks, so I stick to Elixir.