EMG 57/66 passive alternative

Kunya

Reaction score
I have a PRS SE Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose that I need new pickups for. The HFS in the bridge is good, but not great. It's too one-dimensional. The Vintage Bass in the neck is pure mud. I really like the tone of the 57 and 66, but I would prefer passive pickups to split the coils. Are there any good passive substitutes? I'm thinking maybe a passive EMG set or Alnico Black Hawks. I'm also looking at some more moderate output pickups like Thornbuckers. All other suggestions are welcome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Is that a hunch or have you heard something?.

Will need to pick up a set if thats true!!
The 57TW/66TW set already exists. They're been in some ESP guitars since last NAMM.. Iirc someone got an email saying they were gonna be only available in ESP guitars briefly until they fully release. And NAMM is around the corner.

lewis

Reaction score
The 57TW/66TW set already exists. They're been in some ESP guitars since last NAMM.. Iirc someone got an email saying they were gonna be only available in ESP guitars briefly until they fully release. And NAMM is around the corner.

Woah i didnt know that. Awesome.

Kunya

Reaction score
That's good to know. Do you know of any passive alternatives, though? I'll get active pickups if I have to, but I'd like to avoid a battery if that's possible.

lewis

Reaction score
That's good to know. Do you know of any passive alternatives, though? I'll get active pickups if I have to, but I'd like to avoid a battery if that's possible.
Have you seen this doing the rounds?
£27 for 3 rechargable lithiums that last way longer that normal 9v

Screenshot_2019-10-19-19-29-58.png

Kunya

Reaction score
It's not about the lifespan of the battery. I'm a repair technician, and I get a guitar with an exploded battery and fried electronics at least once a week. I'm sure it would be fine, but I don't really want to take that chance.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Have you seen this doing the rounds?
£27 for 3 rechargable lithiums that last way longer that normal 9v

View attachment 73721

I got interested in these when they were mentioned recenlty on here in a thread. I was plannign to call EMG about it because the manual or EMG's say to use only alkaline or lithium batteries, but not rechargable, but these are rechargable lithium. I don't know if the issue was because they are rechargeable perse' or if it's just because rechargeable's used to be a Nimh batteries ( a different chemical with different properties). I think it's best to call them and ask first because although even the old Nihm batteries would work with them too if I remember right they damaged them somehow.

Adieu

Reaction score
I got interested in these when they were mentioned recenlty on here in a thread. I was plannign to call EMG about it because the manual or EMG's say to use only alkaline or lithium batteries, but not rechargable, but these are rechargable lithium. I don't know if the issue was because they are rechargeable perse' or if it's just because rechargeable's used to be a Nimh batteries ( a different chemical with different properties). I think it's best to call them and ask first because although even the old Nihm batteries would work with them too if I remember right they damaged them somehow.

The batteries are literally physically elsewhere

18v and even 27v operation are popular mods, so even a 3x voltage spike (improbable if not downright impossible) is confirmed safe

As to drain, lots of people have inadvertently run EMGs on old batteries that test at 6-7v or less

...so nope I really don't see it. That's just your usual "nothing guaranteed, whatever the problem you probably caused it yourself" go-away-disclaimer

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The batteries are literally physically elsewhere

18v and even 27v operation are popular mods, so even a 3x voltage spike (improbable if not downright impossible) is confirmed safe

As to drain, lots of people have inadvertently run EMGs on old batteries that test at 6-7v or less

...so nope I really don't see it. That's just your usual "nothing guaranteed, whatever the problem you probably caused it yourself" go-away-disclaimer
I'm gonna try the 18v mod soon once I find my extra battery clips. I can finally plug in again to headphones and a small amp with my rig sometimes, so time to try it out. I know that energizer alkalines work best for me so I;m sticking with those because my if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Lately I'm starting to breed contempt for anything that looks like it's from the future for some reason. Not everything though. : )

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Sorry to bump but I'm wondering if any passive alternatives to the 66 specifically have cropped up since 2019?

I don't generally care for neck buckers and only ever use them split, but the 66-7 that came in one of my ESPs just sounded incredible. Truly round and warm like I *expect* a neck PU to sound like in my head, with just the right amount of pick attack for lead playing. I've tried a bunch of passives (Duncan Jazz, Duncan 59, Duncan Invader-Neck, DiMarzio Ionizer) and the Fluence Abasis, and all of them have too much of that weird bright midrangey honkiness that I guess people seem to like in a neck pickup?

The Invader neck model is probably closest out of the above, but still no cigar. Any DiMarzios, BKPs, Lollars, forgotten Duncans worth looking at? Or am I destined for disappointment? I don't really care for active bridge pickups so I'm hesitant to sacrifice an entire guitar to active wiring.

sell2792

Reaction score
Sorry to bump but I'm wondering if any passive alternatives to the 66 specifically have cropped up since 2019?

I don't generally care for neck buckers and only ever use them split, but the 66-7 that came in one of my ESPs just sounded incredible. Truly round and warm like I *expect* a neck PU to sound like in my head, with just the right amount of pick attack for lead playing. I've tried a bunch of passives (Duncan Jazz, Duncan 59, Duncan Invader-Neck, DiMarzio Ionizer) and the Fluence Abasis, and all of them have too much of that weird bright midrangey honkiness that I guess people seem to like in a neck pickup?

The Invader neck model is probably closest out of the above, but still no cigar. Any DiMarzios, BKPs, Lollars, forgotten Duncans worth looking at? Or am I destined for disappointment? I don't really care for active bridge pickups so I'm hesitant to sacrifice an entire guitar to active wiring.

I'd be hard pressed to compare it exactly to a 66 but the DiMarzio Illuminator and Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special (SDS) neck pickups are probably the best I've ever used. Very clear and articulate with plenty of top-end while still being plenty warm. They also both split incredibly well.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm going to give a very darkhorse pick but perhaps a Kiesel Beryllium could do the trick. Dimarzio Air Norton, paf 36th anniversary pro or liquifire could be another option.

gclef

Reaction score

Yes! I know what you mean. I have the 57/66tw set. The 66 is a great pickup. It's single coil sounds are killer too.
I'm going to give a very darkhorse pick but perhaps a Kiesel Beryllium could do the trick. Dimarzio Air Norton, paf 36th anniversary pro or liquifire could be another option.
I've found that if I cut bass at the amp when using the 66, it sounds close to the 36th Anniversary, only significantly louder.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. For whatever reason I tend to keep going for Duncans so I'm trying the Saturday Night Special. Will report on how it sounds.

20240202_232856.jpg

Will probably try one of thoseDiMarzios in another guitar sooner or later. The Beryllium clips I heard on YouTube were all fantastic, very nearly went for one of those - will try sooner or later