EMG 707, Blackout EMTY, or passive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am currently playing on a Dean Rc7x (stock) with the EMG 707s. I play through a POD HD500 into a rocktron v3 through an Avatar cab. I have always played EMGs and don't really know anything different however I have been into the more djenty style of play as of late and it has sparked my interest in passives. Given my setup what would I benefit from most if I am looking for more clarity (specifically Low end) and more punch/bite. Vildjharta and Monuments are a couple of my big influences at the moment. Interested in lundgren m7 on the passive end.

Thank you!

By the way, hopefully a little shameless promotion but if you could check out my bands debut single and lyric video here it would be much appreciated: http://youtu.be/yj7E3p2asGo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
if you don't want to rewire the gat, swap the bridge pickup for a emg 81-7. much tighter pickup than the 707. thats the easiest option. i pulled all the electronics and emg 808s (bigger versions of the 707) and installed the seymour duncan nazgul/sentient set - that made a huge improvement in clarity. that being said, the 81-7 is a killer pickup for tight bottom end and cut when it comes to actives.

theres a bunch of great passive out there, it just depends on how much you can spend. dimarzio d-activators, seymour cuncan distortion, lundgren m7, bareknuckle painkillers etc.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. How about the X series of EMG? just as punchy? heard there is more headroom so I am curious as to how that affects the sound. That being said about the passives however are the generally better for the type of tone I would be trying to achieve. Im close with the 707s that I have I just feel they are lacking

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
i've got an 81x in one of my six strings. not too different than the standard 81, but seems to have a bit less compression. kind of like a the 18v mod for the standard emgs but a bit more pronounced. still sounds like an emg though.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Give the EMTY's a miss, they just arent on par with the 6 string versions....

bzhan1

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know why companies put 707s and 808s on bridge and not the 81 counterparts. they're great for smooth solos and junk for rhythm.

Scordare

Reaction score
I have no love for 707s.. My 2008 Dean USA RC7G came stock with them also, the first time I had ever tried them, and I gave them 2 months. I switched amps, eq'ing and other gear around to try and accomodate them, while gigging...but they always sounded like plastic mufflers. The neck was just ok and the bridge was intolerable. I gave up and bought a pair of the regular soapbar SD Blackouts, which was the only alternate choice at the time, and it was a night and day difference! ..MUCH clearer and usable. I still have the Blackouts in it and like them a lot, but it is my only active guitar and I'm getting tired of the battery and the level difference when I play other passive guitars through my rig. I haven't tried the 707x's or the EMTY's but don't really have any desire to...I'm currently looking at the SD Sentient/Pegasus combo. I just wish Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio would make their full line of 7s available in soapbar style...without custom shop prices.

Great Satan

Hell-o
Reaction score
Currenlty using the SD Blackout Dino custom 'Retribution' in the bridge of my 7,
it'd be a straight swap with an EMG as it has the quick connect features.
I like it.

Passives are of'c a different thing entirely & have a bitch more dynamics & bounce to them,
but more often than not i find myself just playing the blackout as its a tighter, cleaner sound (much less noise than passive humbuckers),
much more precision when playing faster riffs and such.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I would highly reccommend the Dino Retribution like above, i had it in my DCM100 and it sounded like they tok out all the shit i hate from 707s and amplified what i liked about it. The only other suggestion thats a LOAD better than 707s.... the EMTYs. Im rocking both the 6 string and 7 string versions and asolutely love them!

juka

Reaction score
As you seem to look for more "clarity" give the Fishman Modern Ceramic a try!

Been a huge EMG fan for decades but never got into the 707.
Still like my 57/66, but have Fishman Moderns (in 6 and 7 string versions) in all my other guitars.

Status
Not open for further replies.