EMG hatred

• Thread starter Jaxcharvel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I think what most people mean when they say "dynamics" aren't dynamics in the true sense, but simple picking dynamics. Active pups have loads of natural compression so picking dynamics mean little to nothing.

thanks Jaxcharvel, I was referring to picking dynamics.

I play a fret less guitar so slight changes in pressure of left and right hand changes the tone quiet a bit.

While using passive (though very high output) pickups I am able to get these subtleties across.
Using Active pickups I am not though they do sound good even on cleans.

This is why I use passives. Maybe I did used the term dynamics wrong but I meant to refer changes in volume from changing the pressure in my picking. Not the timbre.

But thanks for correcting it.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Meshuggah worship baffles me, as it did in the 90's. I like some technical metal (old Cynic, Atheist, Gorguts, old Cryptopsy, Anata.) but if you traveled in time back to the 90's and informed me that a lot of 21st century metal bands would be influenced by/rip off Meshuggah, I would have asked 'why?'.

I also wouldn't have predicted that a bunch of hardcore/metalcore bands would rip off At the Gates in the 00's, so maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Ihsahn should go back to 6-strings, old Emperor didn't make 'historic' metal albums, they made 'Stranded on a Desert Island' albums (in a different genre compared to what he does now but still). At least he has the decency to not make another Emperor album; Prometheus was a sad example of ending with a whimper.

Not saying that I get the Meshuggah worshipness either, but from looking at where the (pop) metal scene is going these days it seems they are pretty influencial and therefore some of their albums may end up in the history books.

About Emperor: I actually like Prometheus very much, but maybe I am just a bit of an Emperor / Ihsahn fanboy haha

p4vl

Reaction score
About Emperor: I actually like Prometheus very much, but maybe I am just a bit of an Emperor / Ihsahn fanboy haha

I'll always love In the Nightside Eclipse (I've listened to Anthems so many times that I'm burned out on it). IX Equilibrium is great but the fact that Samoth is listed as 'Additional Guitars' in the booklet for Prometheus kind of makes it seem like Ihsahn's first solo record.

His Emperor tablature book kicks all kinds of ass, though. Some of the riffs and counterpoint harmonies they were doing even back on the EP were very, very different from what other Norwegian bands were doing and are impossible to figure out without that book.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Meshuggah worship baffles me, as it did in the 90's. I like some technical metal (old Cynic, Atheist, Gorguts, old Cryptopsy, Anata.) but if you traveled in time back to the 90's and informed me that a lot of 21st century metal bands would be influenced by/rip off Meshuggah, I would have asked 'why?'.

Personally, I prefer the "Pop Metal" Meshuggah "rip-off's" over the bore fest that is the original. If they want to take crap and improve it, I'm not going to complain...

BlueGrot

Reaction score
Meshuggah was good up until about Nothing/C33, then they got inspired by the artists they inspired. Ew.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Meshuggah was good up until about Nothing/C33, then they got inspired by the artists they inspired. Ew.

I don't care if people like the post-Nothing stuff, but when people go as far as calling their earlier albums, especially Contradictions, "....ty thrash metal"...

tumblr_m4bfad6Gu01rv7c4lo1_1280.jpg

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
I don't care if people like the post-Nothing stuff, but when people go as far as calling their earlier albums, especially Contradictions, "....ty thrash metal"...

(Image)

That is one thing I will concede, I haven't heard anything pre-Nothing, so, for all I know, they were decent at one point. Hell, there's even some post-Nothing stuff I haven't bothered to check out that might be good. I just REALLY don't understand the praise Nothing gets.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
I personally think Meshuggah is great.
Fanboy ism in any excessive form is harmful and lot of criticism for meshuggah is perfectly valid.

I personally don't like AAL (and prog in general) much either but I think their albums would be one of the most influential metal albums post 2010.

Its true that most of the 8 string music out there is not that great but its no reason to diss them. Korn after all started popularizing the 7 string craze.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
How is a thread about EMG hatred, now a thread about Meshuggah, who don't even use EMG's?

Jeeze, I thought my attention span was short :lol:

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
This thread has performed quite the shift. I personally dig Meshuggah, although I have to take em in small doses. Kind of like EMGs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
This thread has performed quite the shift. I personally dig Meshuggah, although I have to take em in small doses. Kind of like EMGs.

Hey, it's SSO after all :lol: even we, a community of some of the most notorious EMG haters, can only talk about pickups for so long before it all morphs into a big Meshuggah comment fest :lol: