EMG or Fishmans?

• Thread starter TheBolivianSniper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
So I've decided for my second guitar that I'd like a set of actives, and Blackouts really aren't the sound I'm looking for. It's gonna be between Fishmans or EMGs but I don't know which set. I'm looking for a super cutting sound, really tight and modern to balance out my Rectoverb's really bassy chunk.

EMG stuff I'm thinking of either the 57/66TW set since they're one of my favorites, and they're pretty bright and balanced sounding without getting too loose. Good cleans as well, I need those, but they're not the tightest or most modern which has me thinking maybe 81TWX/89XR. Better feel and a little brighter than the standard 81, a little less output with that same sound. However, nowhere has them and I'd need to buy a full solderless setup since I'd be using the 3 DPDTs on my guitar.

Fishman stuff would probably be the modern set with all the options (coil splits, independent voices, low gain, high frequency tilt) or the KSE set. I'm just not sure how nasty that wiring would be or if the KSE set would be too low output for what I like. Everything I've heard sounds really good but I'm still a little hesitant since they're so tight and lacking low end and output. I do like the moderns but the voice 2 pick attack is really annoying and the wiring is a massive pain.

Any thoughts? I have pretty solid soldering skills and I've done some pretty nasty diagrams but I just wanna be sure I'm getting exactly that sound with all the work it'll be. My amp is boosted as well so output isn't the biggest priority, I do like some compression and hot pickups are fun but I can get along with turning up amp gain.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
fishmans. The diagrams they provide are straight garbage but they're clearer and tighter than the 57/66 set by a long shot ime.

lewis

Reaction score
EMGs

the difference in tone between the 2 companies is NOT enough to justify Fishmans stupid prices
- EMGs cut better live
- EMGs have THE best Metal chug you will ever have
- sound more powerful and impressive in general within a live mix
- and will make semi average rigs sound better - whereas Fishmans are so hifi and tight, they make average rigs sound straight thin, weak bull shit.
- EMGs are quieter at gig volumes - my Fishman moderns are noisy and feedback too easy in comparison
- EMGs are about 10 times easier to install
- EMGs have a metric fuck tonne of criminally underrated Accessories that are all solderless too - literally plug and play
- EMGs last a ridiculous amount longer on a battery

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Only issue with EMGs currently is that I'd have to do up my whole wiring as solderless which adds about $150. Anyone know if you can just pop the solderless plugs and solder them? I found an old diagram for an 89 with DPDTs but I'm not sure how well that would work going back into solderless pots.

Also is there any way to solder the low gain modes on moderns? That would totally be a win for that camp.

Matt08642

Reaction score
EMGs

the difference in tone between the 2 companies is NOT enough to justify Fishmans stupid prices
- EMGs cut better live
- and will make semi average rigs sound better - whereas Fishmans are so hifi and tight, they make average rigs sound straight thin, weak bull shit.
- EMGs are quieter at gig volumes - my Fishman moderns are noisy and feedback too easy in comparison
- EMGs have a metric fuck tonne of criminally underrated Accessories that are all solderless too - literally plug and play

To jerk off EMGs a bit more - I know I can't speak for the actual artists, but there's something to be said for all these big name guys using EMGs for the subjectively best parts of their careers and then switching to Fishmans as soon as I don't give a shit about their albums (KSE, Devin, etc)

Also seems like a "Don't miss the chance to make something with your name on it" part of the industry, but I just don't dig any Fishman pickup I've ever heard and think the DIs I've played through my 6505 sound kinda poopy.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EMGs

- EMGs cut better live
The 57/66TW set is $269 and the 81twr/89xr would come out to $260, so there really is no price difference. So all 4 sets he named are literally within that 260-270 range.
To the thread starter. I've no disagreement with the 2 EMG sets you named, especially the 57/66 as they are by far and away the best active set EMG makes by a LONG shot in terms of tone. I think EMG's retroactives are really the best stuff they make but that's for another discussion. As far as the fishman's. I agree the KSE set seems to lack the most low end of any of the sets they have. But they still sound pretty killer. If you are using a boost pedal with your rig on the high gain tones you could honestly use just about any Fishman set at that point. I think personally the Keith Merrow set is the best all around pick up fishman has atm.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
fishmans. The diagrams they provide are straight garbage but they're clearer and tighter than the 57/66 set by a long shot ime.

I was going to ask you in another thread....are you going to keep the Fishman's in that Balsac or any plans to switch up?

lewis

Reaction score
The 57/66TW set is $269 and the 81twr/89xr would come out to $260, so there really is no price difference. So all 4 sets he named are literally within that 260-270 range.
To the thread starter. I've no disagreement with the 2 EMG sets you named, especially the 57/66 as they are by far and away the best active set EMG makes by a LONG shot in terms of tone. I think EMG's retroactives are really the best stuff they make but that's for another discussion. As far as the fishman's. I agree the KSE set seems to lack the most low end of any of the sets they have. But they still sound pretty killer. If you are using a boost pedal with your rig on the high gain tones you could honestly use just about any Fishman set at that point. I think personally the Keith Merrow set is the best all around pick up fishman has atm.
when I bought my brushed steel Fishman Moderns I had to pay $320 for them .... -_-

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Well I was just about to snag a KSE set from ProAudioStar since they're the only store that seems to have any sort of deals right now but then I started reading how sketchy they are and the fishman wiring was gonna be a pain in the ass since I'd need extra pots. Their offer with the rechargeable battery was pretty tempting but I decided to hold off and see what other deals I could get.

I asked the guy at don't tell the wife guitars if he had the set I was looking for and he offered me huge discounts on a full wiring harness with some of the fancy gadgets that I like. All in all I'm gonna end up with the 89xr/81twx set, an RPC, PA2, and solderless DPDTs for about 40% more than the fishmans, but no soldering or having to buy extra parts.

I definitely recommend the guy though, this is the second setup I've bought off him and he gives insane prices if you don't take his freebies, and always has literally everything they make in stock.

lewis

Reaction score
Well I was just about to snag a KSE set from ProAudioStar since they're the only store that seems to have any sort of deals right now but then I started reading how sketchy they are and the fishman wiring was gonna be a pain in the ass since I'd need extra pots. Their offer with the rechargeable battery was pretty tempting but I decided to hold off and see what other deals I could get.

I asked the guy at don't tell the wife guitars if he had the set I was looking for and he offered me huge discounts on a full wiring harness with some of the fancy gadgets that I like. All in all I'm gonna end up with the 89xr/81twx set, an RPC, PA2, and solderless DPDTs for about 40% more than the fishmans, but no soldering or having to buy extra parts.

I definitely recommend the guy though, this is the second setup I've bought off him and he gives insane prices if you don't take his freebies, and always has literally everything they make in stock.
Man, Im in the UK and still use Dont Tell the Wife!

Absolutely fantastic.
One time I merely put one of his listings in my watched list and next thing I know he had sent me a private offer of like 20% of listing price of the item I just put in watched.

I ordered a EMG bass pickup from him not too long ago and I got it super fast given it was USA > UK

EDIT: Love those RPC's!
Get a cool demo of using it all once its installed :D

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Man, Im in the UK and still use Dont Tell the Wife!

Absolutely fantastic.
One time I merely put one of his listings in my watched list and next thing I know he had sent me a private offer of like 20% of listing price of the item I just put in watched.

I ordered a EMG bass pickup from him not too long ago and I got it super fast given it was USA > UK

EDIT: Love those RPC's!
Get a cool demo of using it all once its installed :D

Yeah I need to do tone demos with both of my birds. Then I can get exposed for shitty playing lol

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I would pick EMG's with the caveat that you buy the X series. I used a regular 85/81 for a while, and decided to throw the X's in. Not that the originals were bad, but the X series was superior. Were significantly more open compared to the originals, was like lifting a cover off of the 85/81. The solderless installation in addition to superior battery life should also work into this. Fishmans get up to 170 hours on a single battery while EMG gets up to 1000 ... out of 12 years using EMG's my battery changes remain in the low single digits. So running them is super cheap IF you don't leave your guitar plugged in when not using it.

Fishmans sound great, but there isn't enough of a difference relative to EMG's for me to say they're worth buying. Especially considering the battery life.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
when I bought my brushed steel Fishman Moderns I had to pay $320 for them .... -_-
I'm going off the prices I found literally before I made my post so that's where I got my pricing from.

Strobe

Reaction score
They are both great. I prefer Fishmans, but use both. The Fishmans are clearer and less compressed with multiple voicing options. The EMG's are more compressed (which can be a very good thing) and have been popular forever for a reason - they have a good EQ profile for heavier music.

I most recommend the Abasi set. Then the classics. I own a lot of them. I also love the EMG85/SLV in my EBMM Luke, and I still have an EMG81 in my V. They're both good, and playing with gain it's not worlds apart.