Repetitve vs non-repetitive music?

• Thread starter Akos89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akos89

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I think a trend started quit a few years ago that new bands use less and less reperition in their songs. Mostly in prog/tech/avantgard/dissonant bands.

I don't really like this approach, since there isn't too much to grab on, and most of the time if there's a good idea or riff, I would like to hear it again. I get the idea that "it tries to tell a story", but I don't really feel any strucutre in these songs.

Which one do you prefer, and why don't like the other?

What do you think, what would be the "optimal" middle ground?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
If a riff i like comes up in a song, i definitely like the song to hang around with it for a while.
I've heard the other approach called "riff salad" , and i don't think i've liked any song that's been described as that. I've described them myself as like being in a guitar shop, listening to several guitarists all noodling at the same time, because the parts generally don't feel like they go together to me.