Emojis of the forum

• Thread starter Velokki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
MG got, well, subsumed and mangled by the company Chris sold it to.
I only saw it for the first time a few weeks back, but goddamn. Alex might be an incredibly absent admin, but I'd take that over the complete desecration that MG was subjected to.

stevexc

Reaction score
Last post in the book of fail? 7 months ago. Last post by Rocka Rollas? 7 months ago. Last time MG.org was worth visiting? 7 months ago, I assume.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Compared to other forums I use, the emoji section here is a fucking mess honestly... Not arranged by emotion or anything at all? Wtf?

I would use them if they had any semblance of organization instead of looking like an 8 year old put it together. (no offense to 8 year olds)
I can assure you, as someone in (admittedly, small) part responsible for the selection and arrangement of emojis, they're arranged in the highly scientific manner of order they were added, and selected based on the all-important criteria of what at the time struck us as funny.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Okay but don't get rid of the spongebob emoji I use that one!

I don't know how, but somehow some of us made it over a decade and a half without inserting emojis into every single sentence and could tell when we were being sarcastic.

There's always one! :sponge:

When the first person came up with writing I bet there was some guy in the back like "some of us made it over a decade and a half without making funny shapes in the sand to communicate and could tell what we meant just fine!"

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay but don't get rid of the spongebob emoji I use that one!

There's always one! :sponge:

When the first person came up with writing I bet there was some guy in the back like "some of us made it over a decade and a half without making funny shapes in the sand to communicate and could tell what we meant just fine!"
Some of us still think that. Unga bunga!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Clearly anyone complaining about :greatkat: doesn't get the joke.
Well, yeah. That's like asking anyone who registered in the past five years about "Hey Donnie" or the constant reposting of Firesoul.

(Hardly grounds for getting rid of the :greatkat: emoji though, of course. That shit stays.)

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
If y'all want to keep the terrible emojis then fine, but could we at least get the actually usable ones moved from the very last row to the top row?

I'm just saying, it is unreasonably frustrating to scroll through acres of nonsense to find "smile" and "stick out tongue".

Honestly, I would respect you old timers a whole lot more if you had just said "Yeah, we purposely made them shit so people wouldn't use them". Discovering that behind each and every one of them is a story that concludes with someone deciding that they absolutely had to add this hilarious icon paints a bleak and, frankly, distressing picture of the history of this forum. Like, these are the kind of decisions that lead you to ask a friend if things are ok at home, because he's been laughing for a full minute and no-one else is and he's kinda crying too. Except that happened ten years ago, and y'all apparently stand by those choices which is... Is there a word for the feeling you got when you were a kid and watched Challenger take off and then explode and crash? That is how this feels.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, yeah. That's like asking anyone who registered in the past five years about "Hey Donnie" or the constant reposting of Firesoul.

(Hardly grounds for getting rid of the :greatkat: emoji though, of course. That shit stays.)
NUDE MAN

ixlramp

Reaction score
But i love this one :frantic: it is so cute. 'Frantic'/'panic' is also usable.
This forum has the most fun variety of emojis of any forum i have used.
This site is full of these kinds of emojis:
[...]
None of which are usable, relevant or informative.
Here is a different way to see this:
Everyone has different tastes. The fact that we can find many seemingly unusable emojis is evidence of a large and very good variety, it therefore also means that we can find many unusual and fun emojis that we love and that are not found anywhere else.

The current variety of emojis is technically harmless. I disagree with removing any, which would break the intended expression of existing posts. Choosing which to remove would be a political nighmare and would generate pointless argument. A waste of time.

I agree that a re-ordering would be very useful.
I find it exhausting searching through them, with the large and/or animated ones making the small ones inbetween hard to see or find.

My ordering suggestion:
*First order into size divisions small -> medium -> big.
*Then within each size division order to have the non-animated ones first.

This ordering would result in more visual clarity, and the commonly used and more normal ones appearing first.
:tomato:

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
No matter how true or untrue any of this is, in order to make any changes to the site, the person with access to make those changes would have to be available to make the changes. You'd be just about as likely to get a good result from praying to St. Isidore (the patron saint of forum emojis) than to get this request high enough up the site's chain of command to enact anything.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
No matter how true or untrue any of this is, in order to make any changes to the site, the person with access to make those changes would have to be available to make the changes. You'd be just about as likely to get a good result from praying to St. Isidore (the patron saint of forum emojis) than to get this request high enough up the site's chain of command to enact anything.

If being pointless becomes a reason not to argue then this forum has lost its way...

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Really, we're just here because someone shat on the emojis. :lol:

riker-star-trek-tng.gif

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I think the emojis are ok but I do miss public hangings eg the ban hammer gallery of disgrace.
Bring back hanging, that's what I say :mk:

Fuck, I forgot how much of a goldmine that thread was. Wasn't mehtab setting a record for frequently he made it in there? :lol:

Also, for people complaining that it's hard to get to the "useable" emojis you can just type them out like you normally would (difficult, I know). They still work the old fashioned way :) :D :p

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fuck, I forgot how much of a goldmine that thread was. Wasn't mehtab setting a record for frequently he made it in there? :lol:

Also, for people complaining that it's hard to get to the "useable" emojis you can just type them out like you normally would (difficult, I know). They still work the old fashioned way :) :D :p
...the number of times I've typed ": lol :" in a text... :lol: