Ending Up With A Guitar You'd Never Thought You'd Own?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Ibanez. Never liked em, even though I wanted to. Would buy one or two a year and sell em immediately because the necks are too thin for me.

Enter the RGIB6....neck like a Les Paul and an ESP had a baby. Badass, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I always disliked Ibanez guitars for no apparent reason even though i never touched one.I just...everytime i looked at them i was meehhhh.Most of the stores here always had all those cheap models and i just found their appearance boring and outdated.

That untill i actually played one.It was a Premium RG721 with rosewood top and i couldnt believe how well it played and felt.I bought the guitar immediatelly and later on i got a mint Prestige RG3120.The 3120 is easily the best guitar i ever played and the 721 simply amazing for what it costs.

I came to say Ibanez as well. Now I want ALL Ibanez has to offer :lol:

I'm slowly selling all my stuff for Ibanez... Except for my Jackson :cool:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
My Squier Strat.

I was dead-set on getting a Schecter Avenger or Agile AL-3000 for awhile. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the cash for either of them since I was stuck with a budget of $300 - $400, and I didn't know about the joys of used guitars, so I got a Squier VM Strat on a whim. It's now one of my favorite guitars after modding it to hell and back. :lol:

EDIT: Mods aren't done either. Plan on getting a maple 43mm neck, some locking tuners, and a new H-H pickguard possibly loaded with dual Bill Lawrences.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I've played a Gibson (mostly Les Pauls) through usually an older Marshall, daily for decades now. Things change weirdly and I got back into heavier music about 2 years ago and I've been playing 2 ESP Standards and a Blackmachine B6 through Rec's and 6505's and I can't put them down.

I haven't had one of my Gibsons out of a case in 2+ years.

I've even picked up the 7 string and covet a Duvell or Misha Jackson badly!

Next is the Axe-Fx.

I did not see this coming at 46.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
Having played Jackson KE's and SL2H's forever I'm now finding myself gravitating toward the ESP Eclipse line. They seem to fit where I'm at right now in playing.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I used to hate Schecter's, thinking they were just 'Nu-metal' guitars with baseball bat necks. I used to hate Orange amps (as a teenager) thinking they were a resurrected amp company that was trying to jump on the garage rock band wagon.

Now my main axe is a Banshee which I love to death, I'd love a KM-7 because the spec is wonderful (sans the Naz in the bridge ;) ) and I would love to have an Orange head for DOOMey goodness and fuzzy 70's grind.

I don't care that their clean tone basically sucks, and their EQ is designed to get multiple variations on that ONE sound they have, those amps Sludge :D

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I've got this LTD viper 300 from the early 2000's. I had never quite liked the shape but there was a good deal not too far from my so i went and checked it out. It felt really comfortable immediately and i have really "bonded" with it. It's now my main guitar for most stuff i play.
Did rip out the neck pickup, tone control and pickup switch, changed the bridge pickup to an emg 89.

10403285_873989319311611_6431030842669894764_n.jpg

luv u bby <3

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Dude, the Rockerverb's clean channel is awesome.

About 5 mins in.

Ah&#8230; well met sir. :agreed:

I did play on one Thunderverb a long time back and remember thinking that the reverb was amazing.

Though I've mainly played on the terrors and dual darks&#8230; but to be fair I rarely use clean these days anyway :lol:

In fact I would probably describe 'my' sound as a downward spiral of filth.

Anyway I love them, and Blackstars and basically I have everything covered&#8230; :D

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I like the clean tones on my Dual Dark a lot, unfortunately I just never use cleans. :lol:

rokket2005

Reaction score
When I started playing guitar, I had a jackson that I loved and I hated fenders and disliked prs a lot. Now I have 4 PRSi and 2 G&L's.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
I like the clean tones on my Dual Dark a lot, unfortunately I just never use cleans. :lol:

I suffer from the same affliction, the cleanest I get is that 'less' dirty sound from the intro to Blessed Black Wings by H.O.F. which is basically 'I turned the volume knob on my guitar down… thats clean right?'

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
I regret selling this, tho I needed the money at the time. I had a an SL1T in ivory on special order from Easton Guitars (long gone) and it was taking forever. Saw this custom shop SLS on his website and convinced him to give it to me for the price of the SL1T, since Jackson Fender had just hiked prices, meaning he could sell the SL1T for more.

Back then I was a moron and didn't think or even know how to remove the pickups and see exactly what they were. I just know they were Dimarzios, and had the most amazing middle position tone I've ever heard, still to this day. Nothing fancy, either. That's just a 3-way lever. sighhhhhh :rolleyes:

SLS_full.jpg

Demiurge

Reaction score
That's me and teles. I kind of went the typical route: first guitar was a cheapo strat copy and after my first guitar with humbuckers I'm like, "oh, single coils never again!" with the belief that teles were the epitome of weak-ass sounding guitars. Then one day I walk into a random shop and decide to mess with one and fell in love, shocked that it even did the heavy stuff well. I realize now how much teles make sense for metal: bolt-on construction with typically an alder or ash body, complimented by a bright but not overly hot bridge pickup to counteract the overuse of gain.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I regret selling this, tho I needed the money at the time. I had a an SL1T in ivory on special order from Easton Guitars (long gone) and it was taking forever. Saw this custom shop SLS on his website and convinced him to give it to me for the price of the SL1T, since Jackson Fender had just hiked prices, meaning he could sell the SL1T for more.

Back then I was a moron and didn't think or even know how to remove the pickups and see exactly what they were. I just know they were Dimarzios, and had the most amazing middle position tone I've ever heard, still to this day. Nothing fancy, either. That's just a 3-way lever. sighhhhhh :rolleyes:

SLS_full.jpg

This is one of the most badass guitars I've ever seen :agreed::agreed:

mr coffee

Reaction score
The ones that surprised me twice were Gretsch. I really never envisioned myself playing a hollowbody, but when I checked out a friend's I really liked it. Soon after, I picked up a G5120. I've done some hardware upgrades along the way, and it's a fun guitar to play for certain things. More recently, I picked up a Jet in the store and loved the way it felt and sounded, so went ahead and picked up a Pro Jet.

-m

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one and it was one of the nicest guitars I ever played. It rivals any PRS/LP, or maybe even beats them. I can't talk highly enough of that guitar :hbang:

Agreed, never owned one but I've played one a lot for years. Wouldn't compare it to a PRS though as they're too different in my book, but it definitely nails the LP vibe.

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Kinda used to have the normal grudge against Dean, until i ended up with a rc7 on a whim.
Now I have five of them, + rc6 incoming :coffee: