Endorsement

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I have endorsements w/ ampeg & spector. I was w/ EMG as well (your welcome for the 707 & 808s). ;)

Anyway, the key to endorsements is VISIBILITY! The 1st thing they usually ask for is a show schedule. I average 125+ gigs per year. Even still, you'll most likely get a nice artist discount. The only people getting free shit is the biggest of the big.

blackseeds

.... blog snobs
Reaction score
oh okay
grats for the endorsements :D
and did your skills on the guitar also affect their decision of giving you an endorsement?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
oh okay
grats for the endorsements :D
and did your skills on the guitar also affect their decision of giving you an endorsement?

Skills always matter. Whether it's your playing skills, song writing skills, promotional skills, etc.

There are just as many endorsed artists who can barely pull off a Major chord, that can shred Paul Gilbert under the table. It's more of having various skills that will net you an endorsement.

Just remember to think from the companies' perspective. Why should they give you (or anyone) an endorsement? What's in it for them?

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I have skills on numerous instruments on my various gigs (some bass, some guitar). I don't think anyone cares about skills though. They are a business, not a talent agent. By you having a busy tour schedule, you are exposing many people to the items you choose to play. In turn, people see their product in action & it can make others want to go out & by said product. Being an endorser is like being a commercial for the product you represent. The company makes money by investing in you as the endorser & in turn, you get some choice gear you like enough to endorse for free or a discounted rate. Win win for all involved.

Hope that helps. I may be getting hooked up with ESP & digitech soon as well, but that's still in works. Just work hard, get yourself out there as much as possible & you'll be more marketable to those you want endorsements from.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I have skills on numerous instruments on my various gigs (some bass, some guitar). I don't think anyone cares about skills though. They are a business, not a talent agent. By you having a busy tour schedule, you are exposing many people to the items you choose to play. In turn, people see their product in action & it can make others want to go out & by said product. Being an endorser is like being a commercial for the product you represent. The company makes money by investing in you as the endorser & in turn, you get some choice gear you like enough to endorse for free or a discounted rate. Win win for all involved.

Hope that helps. I may be getting hooked up with ESP & digitech soon as well, but that's still in works. Just work hard, get yourself out there as much as possible & you'll be more marketable to those you want endorsements from.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I would say skills do help when getting an endorsement as it's likely that the better guitarist you are, the more likely kids are going to want to be like you and play the stuff you play. Also if you're not a very good guitarist, it might take getting huge to get an endorsement whereas if you're a ridiculous guitarist it's more likely that you could get an endorsement when your band is underground.

If you sell a lot of records though, to record companies it won't matter so long as you are advertising their product, that's literally all it is.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Shannon got it bang on, it's a business arrangement that's about visibility & fanbase, nothing more than that. A band that I was working for had Ibanez, Framus, Planet Waves, Steinberg, AKG & a whole bunch of others. They got it based on Fanbase & record sales and got lots of support initially, but then the endorsers were not so keen to help when they found there wasn't much live visibility (German singing band, very limited market, small amount of shows a year as the sales would drop off if over-saturated).

And as someone else eluded to, it's also about who you know & how you act. I was speaking to a mate of mine who is a rep for a large amp company & he was telling me that he gets so many contacts a week from young bands telling him 'We're amazing, give us free shit', whereas the acts that he does endorse are always the ones who are working their tits off & making every effort & sacrifice to move forward on a business/music front. How you approach people & act towards them will have a much greater bearing on things.

Ionei

Reaction score
A band i was going to join(decided not to due to financial/travel issues) is endorsed by Schecter.
They havent toured or anything.
They have played with Cannibal corpse though, and i thing are going to play with winds of plague.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score

Didn't you get an ESP endorsement from your old band a few years back? I remember seeing pictures of you rocking out with a couple Stef 7's.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't you get an ESP endorsement from your old band a few years back? I remember seeing pictures of you rocking out with a couple Stef 7's.

I did have an SC607 several years back. I was given the opportunity to have a hookup through ESP, but I had just started migrating back to Ibanez. I really missed the feel of the Ibanezes & a trem. At that time, ESP only had the Stef 7 available, so I basically passed. Why would I endorse something I didn't play all the time? That's just shitty.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
No cheap custom? :lol: SC607 with a real pickup placement, passives and an OFR :lol:

robotsatemygma

myspace.com/pygar1
Reaction score
Shannon has this spot on... a business wants visibility. Why should they give stuff away if it's not going to be seen? Some companies (I can't remember who, Hughes and Kettner I think) ask if you play over 180 shows a year, previous tours schedules, and a current press kit. Obviously they want to see if you have potential.

You can always hit smaller and local companies for endorsements, I've been approached by some, mainly FX and Cabinet companies, and my band plays little and tours even less. After artist discount it wasn't really worth it for me, and the FX would of been cool, but I use them sporadically.

Whip up an awesome cd, play TONS of gigs and get some discounted shit!

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I used to be a Peavey endorsee. The best advice I can give is ALREADY OWN THE GEAR!!! If you come to them just wanting stuff, 99 times out of 100 they're going to delete your email and you'll never hear from them. If you contact them expressing your supreme lust for their products because you already own them and SHOW them that you put their stuff to good use on a regular occasion they may offer you fat discounts on other products of theirs. If you come to them not owning any of their gear you come off as somebody who wants to try their products but doesn't want to pay full price.

This defines an endorsee. If you're not BIG they're not going to want to lost money to try to turn you on to their products so... If you REALLY love a piece of gear and you use it in front of an audience A LOT then email artist relations. Don't do it tryign to get free or cheap gear, it won't happen and it's just plain wrong. An endorsement is meant to be YOUR love for a product, not their love for you.