ENGL Clash!

EKG

Reaction score
I'm addressing people that have played any or all of these...
- ENGL Invader
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL Fireball (100)

There aren't any music shops in my area that have these amps for sale(trust me I've been to nearly all of them near my house within reason), so I'm looking to seek advice from people out there who(having the privilege) have played these amps. I love soloing, but nothing beats some sick rhythm with a heavy tight bass and the ability to blow your brains out with each impending palm muted CHUG. :metal:
- Thoughts on which has the nastiest rhythm tone?
- Fireball compared to a 6505?
- Other comments?

Thanks Y'all!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Chicagoan! Anyways, I just got rid of my Invader and I also had a powerball earlier this year.

The invader definitely has the nicest rhythm tone, with the high gain and bright switch, you can get plenty variety. It isn't super compressed like the other ENGL's, but it still has that distinct ENGL tone. If you're chugging away, it can do it, but mind you it will still be tighter than say an Uberschall. With the depth punch, you can really emphasize how heavy your chugs can get.

The powerball was razor tight and compressed, but I still liked it. The bass is also tight on this, but the chugs won't be mind blowing.

What are you trying to play? Any tone examples?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I heard the Fireball is the best one for your needs. Unfortunately it's the only one I haven't played of all the amps you mentioned. I didn't like the other two, highly disliked them in fact.

The 6505 is very hard to beat for it's price!

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
the nasty tight low end chug is the FB100 all the way, the 6505 also a more lower mid voiced high gain head, but tonally it will be different from the FB100. it comes down to taste really, and seeing as you haven't got a way to try one out at the moment, you have two choices, go with the cheaper 6505, or get an FB100, although i doubt you'd be disappointed

k508

Reaction score
I've only played the Power ball and the Invader, and I ended up buying the Invader. I think it's an amazing amp. Does everything I want it to and then some.

I've heard really good things about the Powerball but haven't had the opportunity to try one in person - very good recordings though.

All in all, ENGL make very good amps, but some people just don't like the ENGL tone. Each amp carries a distinct characteristic to it that you can't really dial it. I personally love it but others are known to hate it.

Your best bet would be to try them out side by side and see what you like the most.

EKG

Reaction score
I think that I just need to take a roadtrip one of these days because the online clips that I'm hearing from these amps are either unimpressive or just flat out grotty, and I know that ain't right... :nuts:

I'm not really concerned about price, cause I'm going to buy what sounds best instead of beating around the bush with other equipment and spending more money in the long run. I'm in no hurry to jump on stage or in studio :rolleyes:

shogunate

Reaction score
The Invader is definitely one of the most versatile amps out there, and the only one of the ENGLs you mentioned that I have personally played. Maybe I couldn't figure out how to tinker with it, but I toyed with one for a few months on and off and my initial impressions were the same as when it left: very versatile, but no matter what channel, SMOOTH. Crystalline, creamy, newborn baby scrotum smooth :lol: For cleans, absolutely fantastic. For distortion, I like smooth up top and rough and tight down low. <-There's some kind of sexual innuendo hiding in there, someone figure it out :lol::lol:

I wasn't using any kind of boost though, that may have been part of it. I'm not gonna sell out..... :nuts:

shogunate

Reaction score
The Invader is definitely one of the most versatile amps out there, and the only one of the ENGLs you mentioned that I have personally played. Maybe I couldn't figure out how to tinker with it, but I toyed with one for a few months on and off and my initial impressions were the same as when it left: very versatile, but no matter what channel, SMOOTH. Crystalline, creamy, newborn baby scrotum smooth :lol: For cleans, absolutely fantastic. For distortion, I like smooth up top and rough and tight down low. <-There's some kind of sexual innuendo hiding in there, someone figure it out :lol::lol:

I wasn't using any kind of boost though, that may have been part of it. I'm not gonna sell out..... :nuts:

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my Invader and I didn't buy it because of any hype. I went and tried it out and for the first time in a long time of trying different amps I was super impressed with how it sounded from the start. Granted I haven't ever tried a Diezel or Fryette, but $4,000+ for an amp for me is just not gonna happen. I wanted something very versatile too and the Invader is super versatile. Now if they would just make an Axe-Fx strictly FX model for a decent price so I could ditch all the pedals I would truly be in heaven!!!

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
No they are working on one that will just do effects. No amp modelling. Although, I would love to just have an Ultra for direct recording too, but I can't afford that right now.

Fiz

Reaction score
Of the three amps you mentioned, two are pretty great. The Invader kicks ass, as does the Fireball. The Invader is really versatile, you can do lots of stuff with it and the cleans rock as well.

The Fireball is a beast. But it's single minded. It's nastier and more brutal than the Powerball, at least in my opinion.

Powerball tries to do it all, but fails quite miserably. It's brutal, but it's also sterile and too compressed - the Fb is nastier. The cleans.. well, people tell me they're good, but really, they're not. They are alright if you compare them to Fireball or say 6505 (the basic model, not the +/II model), but when compared to amps that actually have good cleans, like the Invader, they're pretty shitty. Not even mentioning amps that have great cleans ;)

As said, 6505 is more middlier than the Fireball. 6505 is more of a turbo boosted Marshall with a slightly different voicing, Fireball is competely different. Both are brutal, but in my opinion all ENGL amps sound colder and have a unique characteristic to their sound you either like or don't.

The cabinet also plays a big part in the sound. I'd avoid the regular ENGL cabinets with the V60 as they tend to be too scooped to work in a band environment.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
The Fireball 100 seems to be the favorite for all things metal. The only one I have not played or heard in person, but even from clips it sounds like it's got really meaty high-gain tones.

The Invader is the most versatile, and is VERY clear. The clean tones shimmer, and the rhythm sounds are very full, with no high end fizz. The lead sounds, as it has been said a few times, are smooth as butter.

The Powerball gets a lot of hate around here, but I think a lot of it is undeserved. I'd be willing to bet most people have tried it through V30's (which are definitely not the best speakers to use with this amp) and not much else. The thing sounds damn good through P50e's (which I have) and Greenbacks. You'd be really surprised at the variety of tones i could get using a tubescreamer and my guitar's volume knob.

Hell, i played a cover gig where I played SRV, The Killers, and Ozzy songs in the same set, and the Pball delivered on all of them.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Most of the Powerball hate (from myself as well) comes from it getting eaten alive in a two-guitar rock band context alongside a Mesa or Peavey.

I also (and this is a personal thing) really don't like the feel.

Nights_Blood

Fire and Brimstone
Reaction score
Most of the Powerball hate (from myself as well) comes from it getting eaten alive in a two-guitar rock band context alongside a Mesa or Peavey.

I also (and this is a personal thing) really don't like the feel.

I played next to a guy using a JSX, it cut through fine. Keep in mind this wasn't a metal show, and we weren't at insanely high volumes or running too much gain (i only used the clean and crunch channels). Granted, i was in line with the cab, but afterward i spoke to a few people who were in the audience, and they were all able to hear me. Not saying that there's no truth to that claim, since I haven't played it next to a Rec or a 5150 at a metal gig, but I see a lot of people make claims that give others the impression that once the Powerball is on stage, it's basically worthless.

I can understand the feel thing, as it's a very "stiff" amp. I can also understand Fiz's points about it being sterile and compressed. I'm not saying it's the best, or one of the best. I'm just saying that people shouldn't be so quick to verbally burn it at the stake.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
i've only tried a Powerball II, and i must say that it's the most bad ass sounding head i've ever plugged into. luckily i had my Agile 828 with me and got to demo the low F on it.

my personal needs are a really good chug, individual notes to stand out on their own (ie: how meshuggah doesn't chord a lot anymore and hits those single notes on their own with the low strings) and some mids that help my tone/volume cut through.

the Powerball met all those needs, and had a nice noise gate along with it. the mid boost and channel features were nice too. the guitar shop guys also let me crank it, so i got a good idea of how it's going to sound "opened up".

only thing i have to go by with the Fireball and Invader is youtube clips. Invader sounds mind blowing but also a LITTLE nasally for my tastes. not sure if i could dial that out. the fireball sounds a little like a generic solid state amp- but again, all i have to go by is youtube videos. there was also a Fireball at the shop i went to but i didn't have time. next time im out that way i will try.

@TemjinStrife: could you elaborate on the Mesa/Peavey thing?

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
I tried one of the new Powerball II's and was underwhelmed. I didn't really like the character of the amp.

I used to own an Engl Savage 120 and that thing sounded absolutely brilliant. I've heard the Invader is comparable to the Savage only less "gainy" and more of a hard rock amp. Could be wrong.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
My favorite ENGLs are the Savage and the SE, but out of those amps I would take the fireball 100. Nice clear, brutal tone. :)

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
@TemjinStrife: could you elaborate on the Mesa/Peavey thing?

Sure. I spent a fair bit of time with one at a get-together. The Powerball could get some great "digital-ish" saturated lead and rhythm sounds, but the punch of the Dual Rec and 5150 II at the same gathering just kind of obliterated the lead channel when we played a bit of a metal jam. In order to be heard, the PBall (this was with gain down and mids boosted) had to be cranked to the point where it was "washing out" the lows and low mids, and then it was just noise... and you could still hear the Dual. Although, the real killer in that jam was a modded JCM800 with 6550s. Incredible cut and great snarling lead tones.

The JSX actually has a similar problem on the third channel... too much gain and compression, not enough punch.

It's the same issue you get when running a POD high-gain patch into a PA then competing with a real tube head. The POD will often just disappear.

Latest posts