Epiphone Les Paul 7 String

• Thread starter TheMasterplan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheMasterplan

Creator//Destroyer
Reaction score
Specs:

Body: Mahohany w/ carved maple top
Neck: Mahogany
Construction: Set Neck
Scale: 24.75"
Bridge: TOM/Stoptail
Fretboard: Rosewood
Frets: 22, Medium
2 tone knobs
2 volume knob
Finish: Tobacco Burst :cool:

----------------------------------------

Body:

This thing is an absolute beast. The guitar is heavier than most of the others I've owned, but Christ the mahogany is DENSE. This is a good thing though! The tone is so full and warm, though a bit on the darker side. The quilted finish is fucking gorgeous in person. You can really feel the quality just holding it in your hands. I'm a sucker for single-cut sevens so I'm really digging the body shape, but I must admit that the single horn coupled with the joint from the set neck construction can make upper fret access a little difficult at times. In my experience it really just requires a quick adjustment in posture. It's thick and a little heavy, but when you strum out some chords or start riffing you can feel the notes resonating in the wood against your chest and you know you've reached a height of pure awesomeness.

Neck:

The neck is somewhere between an Ibanez Wizard II and a Schecter C7 Blackjack. It's thick, but not unbearably so. If you have small hands, you might want to try it out beforehand if you can because I have relatively large hands and I still find that I'm still adjusting to extended scale runs when I get into the B's registry. As far as width, I would liken it to a classical guitar. In pictures it looks a lot wider than I think people believe it to be. The string spacing feels average though despite all that. It's also somewhat C shaped which admittedly is taking a little while to get used to considering I've been playing Ibanez guitars up until now. It's still plenty fast, but not quite as fast as the Wizard II's ala Ibanez. Some may wonder about the scale length. Yes, it is in fact 24.75" which I'm sure some believe is madness for a seven string. But quite frankly after slapping a set of .010 - .046 with a .064 on the 7th and a quick bridge adjustment, you'd never know except for the tell-tale 22 frets. Also as I mentioned the joint where the neck meets the body makes upper fret access a bit difficult at times because it's a good half inch difference between the rest of the neck and the body. But if that doesn't bother you then it's a non-issue.Typically to remedy this I place my thumb on the last bit of neck before the joint, angle the guitar up slightly and stretch my hand. It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Though if your hands are bigger like mine you'll find the horn making love with the back of your hand.

Pickups:

Not bad for stockers. For distortion: Neck is a tad thin and the bridge has a little too much bass to it, but with some height adjustment the latter can be dealt with. Gonna replace the pups in this thing out of personal preference, but really if you have a decent rig, you'll find good usable tones from the stockers. Cleans: If you use the bridge pup and roll the volume back a hair you can actually get something quite nice.

Bridge:

Not much to say here other than that it's solid as a rock. Quite stable and effortless to adjust which is good cause it took me quite some time to find a perfect balance, but I'm weird so I'm sure no one else is as picky.

Electronics & Other Features:

These are truly the only instrument's downfalls. I've owned this guitar for about a week and already I've had to deal with stripped strap peg holes and a faulty selector switch. The latter of which is particularly frustrating. Luckily I've got a warranty on the electronics and I'm friends with the repair guy, so it shouldn't be an issue when I get it back. There are three tone knobs, but I don't really know why. Might be replacing the pots with CST's as well. That all appears to be fine though. I hear people complain about the nut and tuners at times, but I have no idea what they're on about. In the week I've owned this I've had to retune it once? I keep it in A# Standard and sometimes Drop G# [thus the crazy thick 7th string]. I think they're pretty solid, but again as a giant-handed motherfucker I find the spacing between the tuning pegs a little frustrating sometimes because I feel like my fingers are inadvertently turning the adjacent ones. Might be all in my head :nuts: Most of the reason this thing suffered score wise is becuase of that switch and the strap pegs.

I really don't know what else to say. This thing is beautiful and it's just great for shredding or riffing [I do the latter much more] and with a little bit of repair work and some very slight modding [new pups, switch and maybe pots] it's the best guitar I've ever owned and I certainly recommend it if you can actually find one and any of the potential cons I've listed don't bother you. Single-cut sevens for the win!

Thanks for reading.:wavey:

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
There's two volume knobs and two tone knobs, one set for each pickup. Especially useful in the mid-position of the pickup selector, because you decide how much of each pickup to dial in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot... Another trick you can do with this setup is to set one of the pickup's volume to 0, and then use the pickup switch as a sort of kill-switch.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
I've got two of these guitars and I have to agree with Scali, they are actually much better than what I was expecting when I got my first one off of Ebay (and the second one from Ebay, too).

My first is a "Standard" and the second is their "Goth" model. The Standard has been modified with stainless steel frets, plek-job, LSR tuning machines (had to try them out), Bartolini 492C-B (neck) and Bartolini 4D-01 (bridge) and Dunlop Straploks. The four pots and 3-way switch and jack were all replaced as well as the ground wires.
The above modifications really make this guitar sing quite nicely. I don't think these mods (especially the pickups) would be the choice of those playing more effects laden music. Clean, looped, digital delays are incredible with this instrument.

The "Goth" model was similiarly modified, though I opted for a set of Grover Full-Sized Locking machines used a "bookmatched" set of Q-Tuners with a Mid-Z neck and High-Z bridge pickups. This instrument has a bit more range of applications to it than the above "Standard." The Q-tuners allow for more harmonics and are really happening if using them is part and parcel to your playing. Clean, looped, digital delays, phasing, other effects are amazing with this instrument and the same modifications (stainless steel frets, plek-job, re-wiring job and removing and replacing all of the old electronics.