era of the 20 Watters (are they really that good?)

neurosis

Reaction score
Look at the PRS Archon 25 watt model. I thoroughly enjoy mine. Something a little different but it sounds great, good cleans and awesome OD. I swapped the speaker to a Scumback M65 and it REALLY woke up after that. I have never gigged it (COVID etc) but I look forward to doing so.

This is interesting. I didn't know they make a combo. Only knew of the large head and the VST variants. It looks like the combos can be had cheap, too. I just wish it was just a head. I don't really need another speaker. In the demos I am hearing it cuts like a Mark V in a way. But it has more bite/grind if that makes sense. What did you buy it for? What does it give you that you don't get from your other amps?

Also you say you gig these low wattage amps. What size of event and type of music?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What does it do that other amps don't?

Reasonably sized amp that I can carry easily with one hand and has a good feature set. Not everything has 2 channels that are both EXCELLENT. Good fx loop, footswitchable loop and chann. Also you can heavy even with out a boost.

I have not played

laxu

Reaction score
Yeah my guess is in the end it comes down to quality control. There's probably a lot of veery expensive amps that are PCB as well and without issue, right? (I have no idea)

That's what I am starting to realize as I read more about the Friedman 20s. They are all tweaked versions of other stuff he's made and I doubt it's a coincidence that many of his products' looks sort of differ in equivalence to some of Marshall's aesthetic choices. But I don't think these heads are all built the same. The Runt seems to be the cheapest for a reason. Maybe the construction isn't as good. I can't say I disliked it. The JJ and Mini Shirley (which have the best reputation from what I gather) are hardwired, right?

There's tons of PCB amps. All Mesas. Many Bogners. All VHT/Fryette and Diezel amps. Handwiring requires more labor and testing to put together and it has been this "built like the old days" thing to serve as a market differentiator. PCB vs handwired does not sound better and most amps with more complex features are going to use a PCB because it makes them easier to build without turning into a rat's nest. Handwired amps are easier to mod and repair but most of us just take them to a tech and let them sort it out if there's a problem.

The cost difference between a Friedman BE vs Runt is things like handwired turret board vs PCB, component quality, transformer quality, feature set etc. JJ Junior looks like it's PCB with handwired pots, similar to how Mesa or Diezel do it. Generally the build quality is not going to be a problem if you buy a Friedman, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel etc.

neurosis

Reaction score
What does it do that other amps don't?

Reasonably sized amp that I can carry easily with one hand and has a good feature set. Not everything has 2 channels that are both EXCELLENT. Good fx loop, footswitchable loop and chann. Also you can heavy even with out a boost.

I have not played

Thanks a lot for the tips throughout the thread. And those are good reasons to get the Spawn. I just don't want another combo. I have the Tiny Terror combo speaker if I want that and I also have a 1x12 cab so I am covered for now.

You've kind of put me on the path to more searching. I was thinking of buying used anyway as the demos I was considering were sold while I was pondering my options. Now I am looking at higher watt heads from PRS and Bogner. LOL

I have to overcome this idea that PRS only make good guitars. You've reminded me that they used to make that awesome Channel H. It totally went off my radar. And looking at the Bogner ATMA I've stumbled upon the Goldfinger, which I absolutely love.

In your experience do the higher watt consistently hold a better clean at high volumes? Or this more of a debate we have among ourselves and in reality it comes down to the use you make of the amps and what kind of live scenario you play it? I keep going back to the Rectoverb because it is what I know but I imagine it would do great in a bar playing blues or rock through a bigger cab. That thing can cover old tones, creamy tones, clear tones and gritty rhythm. In a way it is the sound of the late nineties and early 2000s for me, too.

That PRS has plenty of power and sounds so nice. It actually can do a bit of the British thing and I am sure with an OD in front it'd get those tones at lower volume even. And I have a BE-OD too so I am sure I could get close to the Friedman tones trough the clean channel if I wanted. I need to see what's out there and compare price. I totally forgot it existed. I wonder if it is made as well as their guitars. I play core PRSs mostly, which must also be why I like the idea of finally going with Mesa–just not sure of the power. For the price used I can get a full sized rectifier. But then I wonder why do I need that beast.

neurosis

Reaction score
The cost difference between a Friedman BE vs Runt is things like handwired turret board vs PCB, component quality, transformer quality, feature set etc. JJ Junior looks like it's PCB with handwired pots, similar to how Mesa or Diezel do it. Generally the build quality is not going to be a problem if you buy a Friedman, Mesa, Bogner, Diezel etc.

That all makes sense. I think I am just looking for reasons, putting holes in my own plans to discard options and come to a decision. At the same time I don't feel like paying more for a more popular and expensively marketed product if I can achieve the same or almost the same on a similar budget. Which doesn't mean I'd go full on cheap and buy whatever costs less just for the hell of it.

I am learning a lot on this thread. It's giving me ideas of things to look at beyond what I was thinking. Thanks you!

Do you think just based on specs and built quality the Friedman price tag is justified above the mesa? And do you think it's a fair comparison knowing that the tones are different? The Friedman JJ Jr looks a little more haphazard to me. The Mesa seems to be really well thought out. Of course the Mesa is going to be loose and harder to dial in while the Friedman is instant satisfaction with how it cuts. At the same time I feel the Friedman is so saturated that no settings past a certain threshold of volume or gain will make any difference between channels. At the end it feels like it could all just blend. In that sense the mesa seems to be a better offering. But I also think it'll be more difficult to get it to cut in a mix or even hanging out with friends.

laxu

Reaction score
Do you think just based on specs and built quality the Friedman price tag is justified above the mesa? And do you think it's a fair comparison knowing that the tones are different? The Friedman JJ Jr looks a little more haphazard to me. The Mesa seems to be really well thought out. Of course the Mesa is going to be loose and harder to dial in while the Friedman is instant satisfaction with how it cuts. At the same time I feel the Friedman is so saturated that no settings past a certain threshold of volume or gain will make any difference between channels. At the end it feels like it could all just blend. In that sense the mesa seems to be a better offering. But I also think it'll be more difficult to get it to cut in a mix or even hanging out with friends.

I'm sure both are fine in the build quality department. To me it's a question of the tone and features you are looking for. I've never tried either but based on videos the Recto-Verb seems more versatile while the Friedman does a couple of sounds really well. I don't like the smaller Friedmans having this single knob + bright switch clean channel, that's too limited control for my tastes because I don't want a "well, it has a clean channel" amp, I want a good clean channel that I can shape to work with all my guitars.

I actually did not like the HBE channel on the BE-50 Deluxe I tried at all. It was just too much gain and saturation for my tastes and I felt I got what I needed from the BE channel already. I'm sure there are others who are more into the extreme high gain thing who love it though.

laxu

Reaction score
And looking at the Bogner ATMA I've stumbled upon the Goldfinger, which I absolutely love.

If you want to know anything about the Goldfinger, just ask. I have the 45W Superlead and it's my favorite amp.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the tips throughout the thread. And those are good reasons to get the Spawn. I just don't want another combo. I have the Tiny Terror combo speaker if I want that and I also have a 1x12 cab so I am covered for now.

You've kind of put me on the path to more searching. I was thinking of buying used anyway as the demos I was considering were sold while I was pondering my options. Now I am looking at higher watt heads from PRS and Bogner. LOL

I have to overcome this idea that PRS only make good guitars. You've reminded me that they used to make that awesome Channel H. It totally went off my radar. And looking at the Bogner ATMA I've stumbled upon the Goldfinger, which I absolutely love.

In your experience do the higher watt consistently hold a better clean at high volumes? Or this more of a debate we have among ourselves and in reality it comes down to the use you make of the amps and what kind of live scenario you play it? I keep going back to the Rectoverb because it is what I know but I imagine it would do great in a bar playing blues or rock through a bigger cab. That thing can cover old tones, creamy tones, clear tones and gritty rhythm. In a way it is the sound of the late nineties and early 2000s for me, too.

That PRS has plenty of power and sounds so nice. It actually can do a bit of the British thing and I am sure with an OD in front it'd get those tones at lower volume even. And I have a BE-OD too so I am sure I could get close to the Friedman tones trough the clean channel if I wanted. I need to see what's out there and compare price. I totally forgot it existed. I wonder if it is made as well as their guitars. I play core PRSs mostly, which must also be why I like the idea of finally going with Mesa–just not sure of the power. For the price used I can get a full sized rectifier. But then I wonder why do I need that beast.

My Supersport is a head, I generally go the head route vs the combo route.

Your thoughts on PRS are different than mine lol. I am not a PRS guitar guy at all. They don't do it for me (even core) just not my thing. But the Archon is honestly really badass. I had to go through the thought process of 'ok I don't like the guitars, hopefully the amp will do it for me' lol.

The thing with wattage and headroom is a fact due to physics and electronics laws. There are better ways to go about different circuits that can alter the headroom for the wattage from an engineering perspective, but when it's apples to apples, more watts equal more clean headroom. There are ways that you can kinda work around it, like backing off the volume or tone knobs on the guitar, but more watts generally equals more headroom.

I also have a hard time considering thinking that the JJ Jr. has a clean channel with a single knob. Doesn't do much for me.

I liked the little Recto that I demo's. That is a strong consideration IMO. It just depends if you want the mesa flavor or the modded Marshall.

neurosis

Reaction score
Your thoughts on PRS are different than mine lol. I am not a PRS guitar guy at all. They don't do it for me (even core) just not my thing. But the Archon is honestly really badass. I had to go through the thought process of 'ok I don't like the guitars, hopefully the amp will do it for me' lol.

The thing with wattage and headroom is a fact due to physics and electronics laws. There are better ways to go about different circuits that can alter the headroom for the wattage from an engineering perspective, but when it's apples to apples, more watts equal more clean headroom. There are ways that you can kinda work around it, like backing off the volume or tone knobs on the guitar, but more watts generally equals more headroom.

I also have a hard time considering thinking that the JJ Jr. has a clean channel with a single knob. Doesn't do much for me.

I liked the little Recto that I demo's. That is a strong consideration IMO. It just depends if you want the mesa flavor or the modded Marshall.

Haha. I always wanted a PRS as a teen. They were the guitars every band from the US played and I thought of it as something to achieve greatness or some other adolescent delusion of grandeur. :D Then I had an opportunity to buy one in my twenties and it was such a disappointment. I couldn't believe the asking price used for something so plain. Then over the years I tried different models and years and felt they kept changing little things here and there that made it hard to tell what I liked or didn't about them. When moved to the US I got one in a trade and loved it. Then I realized the pickups didn't do anything like I expected through my modeler. Eventually I got a 22 and that has been my main apart from a Strat. It feels like some beefier SG in some ways but it can clean up close to a Strat. I have not messed with that guitar out of fear I'll ruin its mojo. In my experience they are really well built but it's not a consistent love for them even among examples of the same model. I don't know why that happens, but it's how I have experienced it.

That said I was reluctant to look into heir amps because I felt it goes a bit far to have all things made from the same company. I find it strange and since I a spending money I like to have options or discover new things. But That H head was really, really great and I suppose the Archon is too. They also had a Vox type of amp for a while that had an incredible clean channel but it was so close to an actual Vox that it felt strange to buy that instead.

I think headroom matters but again comes down to what we've been discussing. What is the application and what are you asking. I just haven't tried a Rectoverb at that level and don't know how it would feel and sound in that context. My fear is that the cleans will break fast and that the gain channels will blow and fart out since it's already such a bassy type of thing. I am not afraid it can't achieve loudness just wondering if it can hold up like a bigger Single Recto for example. My guess is it won't for those dense rhythm tones but it will sound awesome for Rock and Blues.

The more I think of the JJ the less I want it. I have the BE overdrive pedall and I know it can sound awesome into a good clean channel. And I think the thickness we love of Cantrells tone can probably not be achieved with this smaller version. The saturation and character, the way it cuts maybe. Loudness sure, but not comparable to the real thing. That doesn't mean it's a bad head. It's just not going to reach the same level as the original. It serves a different purpose. For recording it's probably a good tool. But I feel the Friedman's in the AX8 are really really close and I have been dialing them in to fit my guitars for so long that I don't really need the JJ.

Then I saw the Bogner and thought it looked like a classic proposal in a good package, well built and versatile. I saw Kotzen live playing something like this (Could have been a Cornford) so looking through demos I think I have a good idea of what it sounds like. I guess my questions would be: What Marshall character do you think this one in particular is closest and how diverse do you think the channels are? 45 watt is going to be really really loud but I see the controls and think it could be used at low volume with pedals into the clean just fine, louder when possible and letting loose through the Torpedo Captor. Do you think it gives a good range of tones from clean to overdrive pushed high gain (so crunch pushed with a pedal)? Would you say there's enough bass to make the cleans mellow and the crunch punchy? Have you had it for long and was it easy to get service for it when you had to go through maintenance?

What recto did you demo?

Thanks again!

neurosis

Reaction score
If you want to know anything about the Goldfinger, just ask. I have the 45W Superlead and it's my favorite amp.

Apologies guys! I sort of blended all my answers and questions addressing your different points int he same post without proper quotation.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I own a Mark 525 and a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis/2:ninety rack. If both are in the Mark IV lead mode, I can get them sounding pretty close. A pair of EL84 tubes does not quite have the same punch or headroom of the 6L6 based amp at any volume, but it can get pretty punchy for a 20 watt range amp. The power in the 525 is more than sufficient for home practice, recording (it has a cab-clone built into it for a direct simulated XLR output), jamming with another guitarist, or even playing through headphones (via the cabinet emulated headphone output).

I still own my Triaxis/2:ninety, and the 525 does not replace it. However, it really fills a different need. I do not have to be as creative to accommodate the volume output. The 525 is much lighter for a jam session with a friend. It has some advantages for those times when I just do not need a big tube amp sound. It still sounds better to me than the solid state amps that I have too.

20-watt amps are a good tool that have a place in a good amp lineup IMO.

laxu

Reaction score
Then I saw the Bogner and thought it looked like a classic proposal in a good package, well built and versatile. I saw Kotzen live playing something like this (Could have been a Cornford) so looking through demos I think I have a good idea of what it sounds like. I guess my questions would be: What Marshall character do you think this one in particular is closest and how diverse do you think the channels are? 45 watt is going to be really really loud but I see the controls and think it could be used at low volume with pedals into the clean just fine, louder when possible and letting loose through the Torpedo Captor. Do you think it gives a good range of tones from clean to overdrive pushed high gain (so crunch pushed with a pedal)? Would you say there's enough bass to make the cleans mellow and the crunch punchy? Have you had it for long and was it easy to get service for it when you had to go through maintenance?

If you have a Fractal modeler then I don't think it will add anything. You can replicate what the amp does with existing Fractal amp models.

The Goldfinger 45 Superlead is basically a Fender clean channel and a "greatest hits" of Marshall overdrive with a tube boost in one box. The older non-Superlead version has a pre-fx loop in place of the boost and does not have the '77 mode on the overdrive channel and the OD channel sounds a bit different. Much easier to find used tho.

The Goldfinger does not benefit from being cranked. It has an excellent master volume on each channel that lets you play it at almost any volume. The MV on the OD channel has a super gradual taper, you only get powertube distortion in the last 1/4 of its travel. Makes it much more sensible than most amps that dedicate half of the pot's travel to adjusting the amount of powertube distortion.

The low/high voltage switch does quite little for volume but alters how it feels. The low voltage is described in the manual as adding kind of a tube rectifier type effect to the feel, makes it more saggy. Great for cleans, I wish it had per channel power scaling for this.

The clean channel is stellar. Takes pedals well, has just the right amount of control to work with any guitar and sounds so so sweet. Soundwise it's not quite blackface but probably more in the territory of boutique Fender type amps where the mids are fuller sounding. I run mine mostly through a Bluetone 4x10 with 10" Greenbacks.

The overdrive channel has three modes. The 68 mode is basically a Superlead, the 77 is transition era JMP or something and the 81 is a JCM800 voicing. Basically the 77 is an angrier, gainier, brighter version of the 68 mode. It's by far my favorite. How you combine the mode and the boost and their gain settings gives you a lot of options for higher gain tones. For the higher gain stuff, it's more Iron Maiden type feel to it, not super tight or anything. It has all the gain you'd ever want. The Gain EQ knob is kind of like a low mids control and all the EQ knobs have a good amount of range, even if you have to really crank the treble/presence to go into that ear piercing treble territory.

The only thing I don't love is the spring reverb. I find it's a bit splashy decay though otherwise good sounding. Thinking of changing the tank at some point. The official headshell is ugly IMO and it's not the lightest amp. I originally bought the 1x12 combo because it was the only one available at my dealer and that was a mistake. I had to convert it to a head and cab because it was too heavy to move as one unit. I've had mine for a couple of years now.

neurosis

Reaction score
I own a Mark 525 and a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis/2:ninety rack. If both are in the Mark IV lead mode, I can get them sounding pretty close. A pair of EL84 tubes does not quite have the same punch or headroom of the 6L6 based amp at any volume, but it can get pretty punchy for a 20 watt range amp. The power in the 525 is more than sufficient for home practice, recording (it has a cab-clone built into it for a direct simulated XLR output), jamming with another guitarist, or even playing through headphones (via the cabinet emulated headphone output).

I still own my Triaxis/2:ninety, and the 525 does not replace it. However, it really fills a different need. I do not have to be as creative to accommodate the volume output. The 525 is much lighter for a jam session with a friend. It has some advantages for those times when I just do not need a big tube amp sound. It still sounds better to me than the solid state amps that I have too.

20-watt amps are a good tool that have a place in a good amp lineup IMO.

That's an interesting take, although I have a feeling that the trials and mark series live in a closer tone world than the rectos, don't you think? I thought it'd be easier to tighten the recto to sound lie the mark but in the meantime I have read that's not the case. I haven't tested it myself though.

I do like the features of the Mark but I prefer the character of the clean channel in the recto. Ithas a rounder, fuller vibe in my opinion. The cleans on the mark sound a bit more glassy and sparkly in comparison. I do like the addition of the EQ and al the recording features although I wonder if the headphone out is even usable. I never tried it so I don't know how that sounds.

The appeal of these smaller mesas to me was definitely the familiar tones and form factor at a lower prize. That is how I started looking around. Especially after having my Tiny Terror Combo, which is an incredibly loud amp for it's size and enough for my needs, which are mostly playing into a DAW and out the monitors.

In the meantime I am finding that the US market for used heads is pretty good so there's a lot of options to buy higher wattage heads for the same price as these minis. Now the question is do they have a clean and master that makes them worthwhile playing at low volume through a cab in an apartment and do I have space to store one of these things?

The cool thing about that MarkV seems to be the ability to pick it up and move it around the house, take it anywhere and always use it. But you'll have to tell me a little more about the usability of and quality of the features throughout. I still can't comprehend how they were able to fit all that stuff in such a small box. It makes me worry about a future repair.

How does that amp handle passive pickups? Is there any setting you can think of that opens it up and makes it feel warmer on the cleans? Do the tighter rhythm settings loosen up a bit or do you feel they compress a lot throughout?

I have seen a lot of metal demos of this amp and it excels at getting close to Petrucci and lamb of God in particular, maybe some early Metallica too. I wonder if you could play rock and roll and some more mellow stuff on it without excessive tightness. Does it feel touch sensitive to you. I have very little experience with it. In my AX8 the only Mark patches I have coincidentally are Lamb Of God and Dream Theater.

For Rammstein, later Metallica etc I mostly use a Rectifier or a Diezel sim for the grinding lows.

neurosis

Reaction score
If you have a Fractal modeler then I don't think it will add anything. You can replicate what the amp does with existing Fractal amp models.

The Goldfinger 45 Superlead is basically a Fender clean channel and a "greatest hits" of Marshall overdrive with a tube boost in one box. The older non-Superlead version has a pre-fx loop in place of the boost and does not have the '77 mode on the overdrive channel and the OD channel sounds a bit different. Much easier to find used tho.

The Goldfinger does not benefit from being cranked. It has an excellent master volume on each channel that lets you play it at almost any volume. The MV on the OD channel has a super gradual taper, you only get powertube distortion in the last 1/4 of its travel. Makes it much more sensible than most amps that dedicate half of the pot's travel to adjusting the amount of powertube distortion.

The low/high voltage switch does quite little for volume but alters how it feels. The low voltage is described in the manual as adding kind of a tube rectifier type effect to the feel, makes it more saggy. Great for cleans, I wish it had per channel power scaling for this.

The clean channel is stellar. Takes pedals well, has just the right amount of control to work with any guitar and sounds so so sweet. Soundwise it's not quite blackface but probably more in the territory of boutique Fender type amps where the mids are fuller sounding. I run mine mostly through a Bluetone 4x10 with 10" Greenbacks.

The overdrive channel has three modes. The 68 mode is basically a Superlead, the 77 is transition era JMP or something and the 81 is a JCM800 voicing. Basically the 77 is an angrier, gainier, brighter version of the 68 mode. It's by far my favorite. How you combine the mode and the boost and their gain settings gives you a lot of options for higher gain tones. For the higher gain stuff, it's more Iron Maiden type feel to it, not super tight or anything. It has all the gain you'd ever want. The Gain EQ knob is kind of like a low mids control and all the EQ knobs have a good amount of range, even if you have to really crank the treble/presence to go into that ear piercing treble territory.

The only thing I don't love is the spring reverb. I find it's a bit splashy decay though otherwise good sounding. Thinking of changing the tank at some point. The official headshell is ugly IMO and it's not the lightest amp. I originally bought the 1x12 combo because it was the only one available at my dealer and that was a mistake. I had to convert it to a head and cab because it was too heavy to move as one unit. I've had mine for a couple of years now.

Everything you are describing here makes this look like a very versatile head. Would you say the cleans you get from this can sound lush and airy or is it a tighter clean. I am thinking of the nice harmonics you'd get on the neck pickup of a LP playing with the tone rolled off just a hair and the bass on the amp set a little lower.

In the demos I have seen it looked like the rhythm tones are more geared towards the JMP side. I had no idea you can get as aggressive as a JCM. That should mean that metal riffing can be attained with an MXR eq or a good overdrive and boost in front, correct?

It does definitely look like a huge head and I agree with you that the aesthetics are solo. Bogner is an eccentric guy. I suppose he loves it like that. I mean even with a different piece of furniture and Rolex the panel itself looks like something out of a steampunk set or an oddities store. The way the dials are arranged and all... straight from Bioshock lol.

Does it have a legit Reverb tank? Might be a contributor to the weight. The weight is definitely another consideration I should make. I had a really bad back injury and a year and a half later I still have to watch myself and what I do. Definitely tending towards lighter guitars these days too.

This might be a good option for me however. If it fits on my shelf I don't really have to move it from there.

laxu

Reaction score
Everything you are describing here makes this look like a very versatile head. Would you say the cleans you get from this can sound lush and airy or is it a tighter clean. I am thinking of the nice harmonics you'd get on the neck pickup of a LP playing with the tone rolled off just a hair and the bass on the amp set a little lower.

In the demos I have seen it looked like the rhythm tones are more geared towards the JMP side. I had no idea you can get as aggressive as a JCM. That should mean that metal riffing can be attained with an MXR eq or a good overdrive and boost in front, correct?

It does definitely look like a huge head and I agree with you that the aesthetics are solo. Bogner is an eccentric guy. I suppose he loves it like that. I mean even with a different piece of furniture and Rolex the panel itself looks like something out of a steampunk set or an oddities store. The way the dials are arranged and all... straight from Bioshock lol.

Does it have a legit Reverb tank? Might be a contributor to the weight. The weight is definitely another consideration I should make. I had a really bad back injury and a year and a half later I still have to watch myself and what I do. Definitely tending towards lighter guitars these days too.

This might be a good option for me however. If it fits on my shelf I don't really have to move it from there.

The cleans can be tight and snappy or smooth and sweet. With the bright and deep switches, gain and volume and 3 band EQ plus the power scaling you can adjust them quite a bit.

The overdrive channel has more gain on tap than its namesakes but for high gain stacking a boost in there works best to my ears.

There is a long 3 spring Ruby reverb tank. It adds minimally to the weight, most of the weight comes from the plywood headshell, steel chassis and pretty hefty transformers. Plus all the tubes of course. I shaved several kilos off compared to the official head by building a headshell out of paulownia.

neurosis

Reaction score
The cleans can be tight and snappy or smooth and sweet. With the bright and deep switches, gain and volume and 3 band EQ plus the power scaling you can adjust them quite a bit.

The overdrive channel has more gain on tap than its namesakes but for high gain stacking a boost in there works best to my ears.

There is a long 3 spring Ruby reverb tank. It adds minimally to the weight, most of the weight comes from the plywood headshell, steel chassis and pretty hefty transformers. Plus all the tubes of course. I shaved several kilos off compared to the official head by building a headshell out of paulownia.

That is a gorgeous shell and I love that color! Did you do the Rolex as well? It looks so nice. I am also noticing you have the Super Lead version. I guess that's larger than the regular Goldfinger.

laxu

Reaction score
That is a gorgeous shell and I love that color! Did you do the Rolex as well? It looks so nice. I am also noticing you have the Super Lead version. I guess that's larger than the regular Goldfinger.

Yeah I built it myself, including wrapping it in tolex. My first headshell project and first woodworking project in a long time so it's far from perfect but I'm still mostly happy with it. I based it on a green Marshall I saw a picture of. Thinking of adding some sort of stupid logo on it since Bogner would not sell me an official one (for perfectly valid reasons since it's not an official headshell).

neurosis

Reaction score
Yeah I built it myself, including wrapping it in tolex. My first headshell project and first woodworking project in a long time so it's far from perfect but I'm still mostly happy with it. I based it on a green Marshall I saw a picture of. Thinking of adding some sort of stupid logo on it since Bogner would not sell me an official one (for perfectly valid reasons since it's not an official headshell).

I think it looks awesome. And nobody is likely going to get close enough to tell a difference.

Couldn't you just move the logo from the cab to the head? I take the logos off of al the cabs and combos I have had. I think branded cabs looks strange.:shrug:

laxu

Reaction score
I think it looks awesome. And nobody is likely going to get close enough to tell a difference.

Couldn't you just move the logo from the cab to the head? I take the logos off of al the cabs and combos I have had. I think branded cabs looks strange.:shrug:

I think the logo on the cab is a bit too big for the head to look good. That's why I tried buying a smaller one from Bogner. I could just get one 3D printed of course but I want to respect Bogner's decision to not sell me one so I'd rather put something silly on it like use the same font but it says Bonger or Burger or something.

neurosis

Reaction score
I think the logo on the cab is a bit too big for the head to look good. That's why I tried buying a smaller one from Bogner. I could just get one 3D printed of course but I want to respect Bogner's decision to not sell me one so I'd rather put something silly on it like use the same font but it says Bonger or Burger or something.

Hahahahahahha. That would be awesome! I vote for Burguer or BONER!

That's cool of you to respect the maker.