Ergonomic high end 6 string for prog/fusion?

• Thread starter chaosmaker911
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to get a new standard scale 6 string, I've had some hand/arm issues so I would really benefit from something ergonomic.

Looking for something high end, $3k-$5k

I've been considering trying to get an abasi master 6, but I'm finding mixed reviews and it's been impossible to find one to try.

I want something generally pretty shreddy, neck profile like an Ibanez wizard, or petrucci.

For the record I've never liked a kiesel that I've tried, and I really dislike the strandbergs - they feel really low quality, especially the newer ones.

Any recommendations? Willing to go custom for the right guitar, but it's not a necessity.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to get a new standard scale 6 string, I've had some hand/arm issues so I would really benefit from something ergonomic.

Looking for something high end, $3k-$5k

I've been considering trying to get an abasi master 6, but I'm finding mixed reviews and it's been impossible to find one to try.

I want something generally pretty shreddy, neck profile like an Ibanez wizard, or petrucci.
So you need help deciding between a nice Prestige or Majesty? The AZs are also great, don't forget to try one.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
Can't do a majesty unfortunately because of the painted neck, which I really don't vibe with, and I actually have an Ibanez S5470 prestige, which I like but would definitely not consider ergonomic unfortunately...

And I tried an AZ but the neck is too chunky and again, wouldn't consider it very ergonomic. If I went with a standard strat body I'd prefer a suhr, but again focusing on the ergonomic side of this conversation.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
"Ergonomic" is obviously very subjective, so what are must haves and show stoppers for you? I mean, there's even people who love playing Les Pauls ans Teles. And just because a company claims making ergonomic guitars doesn't mean they really are for you.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Can't do a majesty unfortunately because of the painted neck, which I really don't vibe with, and I actually have an Ibanez S5470 prestige, which I like but would definitely not consider ergonomic unfortunately...

And I tried an AZ but the neck is too chunky and again, wouldn't consider it very ergonomic. If I went with a standard strat body I'd prefer a suhr, but again focusing on the ergonomic side of this conversation.
Then JP15.

Also you're just making things up about "ergonomic". Ibanez S and AZ are very ergonomic. Say what you really mean.

chaosmaker911

Reaction score
Ok, I more specifically mean something with a body shape like an abasi or strandberg that will rest in a raised classical position while seated.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was gonna suggest Kiesel until I re-read your initial post. So Charvel Dk24's come to mind. USA models should fall in your price range. Ibanez Prestige AZ's, though the neck will be a little thicker than the wizard and petrucci's. The EBMM Jp15 and Jason Richardson Models also come to mind as well.

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Missed where you said something like the Abasi or a Strandberg. Aristides could be good, but their necks are painted just because of the material the guitar is made of. Perhaps could get a satin finished one. Otherwise if you don't mind the custom route Skervesen has a The Shoggie which could work.

yan12

Reaction score
IMHO the Schecter USA sunset 24-6 is the awesome for that type of playing. Mine has a radiused top, is very comfortable and lightweight. Easy access up high and amazing build quality.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Ok, I more specifically mean something with a body shape like an abasi or strandberg that will rest in a raised classical position while seated.
abasis don't do this as well as you'd think. they don't balance that well in a lap because of the upper horn moving the center of mass forward. Get an Aristides imho

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
abasis don't do this as well as you'd think. they don't balance that well in a lap because of the upper horn moving the center of mass forward. Get an Aristides imho

Can't speak to that beyond noting that it's an important point. However, I wanted to add that playing with a strap (and having a guitar that properly balances on a strap) is a better path to getting a guitar to sit in a classical position.

If you want to do it without straps, just do what many of the actual classical guitar guys do: buy a leg rest.

protest

Reaction score

Have you played a Majesty and didn't like the neck, or just seeing that it's painted and assuming you won't like it?

I'm asking because I had a purple monarch majesty and the neck was super smooth. The headstock and body are gloss, but the neck is satin. I ultimately didn't like the neck shape, but the paint wasn't an issue at all.

Latest posts