Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The way I'm going, unless they start making 80+ gauges (which they won't) I've basically lost interest in these.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I still have a set of these left. I might be keen on doing the latest with a set. It's a really bright guitar (yes, even brighter than the standard RG fare) so for the heck of it.....

Man, time flies. Feels like yesterday I first posted on this thread......

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot to mention how the cobalts last for ages and don't seem to lose intonation from wear like all the other sets of strings I've used

I know this is an ancient quoting, but there is some truth to this. They lasted a LONG time and I noticed less tuning issues. But I attribute that to being a bit stiffer. That makes sense to me anyways.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
I know this is an ancient quoting, but there is some truth to this. They lasted a LONG time and I noticed less tuning issues. But I attribute that to being a bit stiffer. That makes sense to me anyways.

I don't quite think they are stiffer but they deffinitly hold value. I have a set of 10-52's (Light top/heavy bottom) on a soloist with a floyd and I honestly wanna say that they are GREAT for guitars with a floyd. i also had a set on my RG7321 and that's when i wasn't impressed, but I definitetly love them on my floyd guitars. for me it's almost as if they feel "slinkier" in the lower strings so that i can make those real nice vibratos even though my bottom strings are pretty heavy, and the perfect amount of tension on the higher strings so i'm not bending off the fretboard.

I really like them but only for floyd equiped guitars.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
And, being completely oblivious to the world, I somehow missed the fact that there are now 7-string sets available. Wahoo!

While they don't have a set that has the exact gauges I would like, they're close enough that I'm willing to try 'em out.

Boy, this was a silent launch, to say the least. If it weren't for ss.org, I'd have no idea these were made available. They're s not at major retailers yet, so you'll have to find them on ebay and such.

potatohead

Reaction score
I read on the EB boards that only the low strings are Cobalts, the high strings are regular plain steels... True?

Oh and singles will be available shortly also.

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
I read on the EB boards that only the low strings are Cobalts, the high strings are regular plain steels... True?

I wouldn't doubt it. The nickle plated and such are the same deal. Nickle wrapped low strings, plain steel high.

chromaticdeath

Arpeggio Fom Hell
Reaction score
Just fit these to my 6 in 10-52, very nice, very clear, harmonics and squeels are awesome, now alls i need is for them to make an 8 string set in .080 and ill be happy!!!

Dan Halen

Reaction score
I really love these striungs like i said before but now i know i can get singles to satisfy my need of a 56 for my 7th string. this is awesome. I get my 10-52 set AND I get to buy singles to finish it. OH HAPPY DAY!!!

But.... I really love D'Addarios prosteels..... now I'm torn.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Something tells me these strings are not gonna be much different, but out of curiosity I'll try a pack next string change.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Something tells me these strings are not gonna be much different, but out of curiosity I'll try a pack next string change.

Honestly I've had a few pairs of these on a couple of my guitars and i really like them. as much as the prosteels just like i said. But really they just feel like coated strings or steels.

1.Bright like steels
2.less resistance with sliding than steels
3. long lasting like coated strings
4. little decay in brightness from age like steels (at least from my experience)

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I just used my last set on the 721 with gravity storms and they are SQQQUUUUUUEEEEEEEEKY! Strange, because they were not on my others.

I don't know how to gauge this stuff anymore :scream:

Khoi

Reaction score
I just got my set of 10-62's in for my 7-string

so far.....

I don't really like them.

I don't like that gritty, metallic, "zinc"-y feel to them. They sound okay though, nothing dramatic, but there is a noticeable metallic-y sound to them.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
I think they sound best on Stainless Frets.

I think ima stick with my Pro-steels though. they last long enough.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I just got my set of 10-62's in for my 7-string

so far.....

I don't really like them.

I don't like that gritty, metallic, "zinc"-y feel to them. They sound okay though, nothing dramatic, but there is a noticeable metallic-y sound to them.

Remember, "allegedly", Steve Vai hated them at first too.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I hated the feel too but (now I love them) I noticed a pretty good change in my sound but I do have really sensitive ears, trust me 80s power ballads make them cry (blood)