ESP M-II Custom VS Jackson Dinky DKMG?

• Thread starter slapnutz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slapnutz

Reaction score
Greetings all, currently in the market for these and but do not have that much familiarity with these (discontinued) models. Just wanted thoughts on those who might have any feedback to give on both models?

The ESP I'm specifically after is this one:
MII Custom (I think this H/S pickup config was around 1993-1998'ish??)
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/m2/index_end.html
m2_ctm_sh_bk.jpg

I've also noticed a Jackson Dinky DKMG. However info on the model history is fairly vague. Some mentions of Japan model then later non-japan?
110687.jpg

Please note I will be replacing the Trem (Gotoh) & Pickups (to a passive set) regardless so not too concerned about that specific comparison.

Any input/feedback is appreciated. :) Cheers.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Get the ESP.

The ESP should have an OFR or at least a Schaller LFR, either way it's gonna be in good working order.

slapnutz

Reaction score
Thanks man, actually one more thing I was wondering, I'm pretty sure the Jackson is a bolt-on.... do all Dinky/Soloist Bolt-on models come with that standard clumsy square heel design or are there smoother designs out there? (excluding Mishas model)

Shask

Reaction score
For Jackson, a Dinky is bolt-on, a soloist is neck-through.

I usually find that Jacksons have wider necks. What is hard about these 2 models though, is their necks have been inconsistent through the years. Without buying in person, it can be hard to tell if you would get a thicker, thinner or flat neck. I have never owned either because of this.

However, given these choices I would probably go M-II. They are a little more consistent, usually the necks tend to be more narrow/thinner in general, and the ESP is probably better quality. For a fair comparison, you would be better off comparing to a DK2, not the DKMG.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I owned a Jackson DKMG, and it was the best guitar I ever played until it was stolen from me. I still want to get another one but I accidentally got a different fr guitar so I can't justify it.

AlmaMater

Reaction score
I love Jacksons (Had a DKMG) but beetween the two my vote goes to the ESP (I also had a M-II NON custom).

Think that the Gotoh will be a direct replacement for the OFR while in the Jackson it is not a direct replacement for the JT580LP in terms that you could run into intonation issues as the string lock screw of the Gotoh cannot travel all the way back (I had a Gotoh floyd on a Jackson DK2)

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Everyone is saying ESP because it's more money or perceived better quality, but lets talk about this:
ESP is painted neck thru
Jackson is unpainted bolt on
And the neck profiles are totally different.

It's a very personal preference issue here. Yeah, we can tell you which guitar we think looks better, or which guitar probably has more expensive parts, etc., but we shouldn't be able to tell you which one to get. I personally would prefer to play a cheaper guitar with a neck that I like better than a more expensive guitar with a neck I don't like as much as the cheaper one. But that might not be true for some people who I've heard don't really care what kind of neck profile a guitar has.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The DKMG is one of the best value guitars you can ever come across, but I wouldn't put it up against an ESP M-II. Different leagues. If the ESP is an option, I'd go with that. If cost is an issue, you won't go wrong with the DKMG.

Also, note that the "DKMG" you have pictured is actually a DXMG. I followed the link and they messed up on the site, the transblack version is the DKMG. DKMGs have archtops and were only made in Japan. DXMGs are flat top with forearm contours. The early ones were made in Japan, but they've been made elsewhere since.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Everyone is saying ESP because it's more money or perceived better quality, but lets talk about this:
ESP is painted neck thru
Jackson is unpainted bolt on
And the neck profiles are totally different.

It's a very personal preference issue here. Yeah, we can tell you which guitar we think looks better, or which guitar probably has more expensive parts, etc., but we shouldn't be able to tell you which one to get. I personally would prefer to play a cheaper guitar with a neck that I like better than a more expensive guitar with a neck I don't like as much as the cheaper one. But that might not be true for some people who I've heard don't really care what kind of neck profile a guitar has.

I've owned 3 M-IIs and a DKMG. The DKMG is a fine guitar, but I don't think there's a question that the M-II is higher quality. It's not apples to apples, but the OP is asking for opinions on the two.
But if we're talking about the M-II more generally, only the M-II Custom, LTD Elite and E-II M-IIs have painted necks. The OP said he was leaning towards that one, but the M-II has no shortage of options from this one with the painted neck, to bolt ons with extra thin flat unpainted necks and neck thrus with satin extra thin Us. There are also H/S M-IIs with bolt on necks.

Regardless the necks are definitely different. ESP has a extra thin U, thin U or extra thin flat, but the Dinky profile is between thin and extra thin C and has a compound radius. The DK1 and MII are comparable guitars, but they feel very different. Personally I've chosen the M-II over the DK1 multiple times and would definitely chose it over a DKMG or DK2.
But, yes, these are all opinions of preference.

Bleach31

Reaction score
Thanks man, actually one more thing I was wondering, I'm pretty sure the Jackson is a bolt-on.... do all Dinky/Soloist Bolt-on models come with that standard clumsy square heel design or are there smoother designs out there? (excluding Mishas model)

To answer this, the DKMG is a squared off neck joint. If you wanted something bolt-on with a different joint, try finding one of the newer Mexican pro models. They use a 3 bolt pattern and are really comfy to play on. May look in to one of them used if you can find one.

Kobalt

Reaction score
I would be biased to answer the DKMG (or the DXMG you have pictured).

It's up to your preferences, really, there isn't one that's better than the other even if one is more expensive. Do you want a single coil or do you want H-H? Do you want a neck-through or a bolt-on is fine? Do you want a 42mm or 43mm nut width neck?

I like Jackson necks, through and through. Why do I own two Schecters?!! I'unno. :lol:

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Well that M-II is Original Series, so Custom Shop made it. It will rival just about any guitar out there :) If the OP finds such a guitar at a comparable price to the DKMG, I'll buy it sight unseen the very second :D

slapnutz

Reaction score
Well that M-II is Original Series, so Custom Shop made it. It will rival just about any guitar out there :) If the OP finds such a guitar at a comparable price to the DKMG, I'll buy it sight unseen the very second :D

Hah, this is sorta why I'm asking. I understand the ESP is probably a higher build quality and I am slightly biased towards getting a H/S guitar in my hands.

However the reason I asked about the Jackson was I found one that was around $200 - $300 cheaper than the ESP and I didnt really know much about the model to begin with.

I know I could look at a DK2 but that is MUCH more expensive than the M-II Custom. (probably because its still a current model thus newer used stock and the whole made in USA thing for what it worth to individuals perception).

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

(just wish Jackson didn't have such a sexy reversed headstock:agreed:)

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Actually if I found that ESP for sale at that price, I would be quite suspicious. We're talking about a guitar which is supposed to cost several times more than the DKMG. I'd be surprised to find a decent condition M-II Custom for less than $1600 US, whereas the DKMG might fetch - what, $600? There is a big difference anyway. We should probably compare the M-II to the DK1, or better yet, SL2H which both are made by Jackson USA.

If it really is a genuine M-II Custom in good shape, you sir have stumbled upon a steal of a lifetime :)

Zhysick

Reaction score
The ESP is a FAR BETTER guitar than that Jackson.

If the ESP is in good condition I would have no doubt if you can afford any of both.

Shask

Reaction score
Actually if I found that ESP for sale at that price, I would be quite suspicious. We're talking about a guitar which is supposed to cost several times more than the DKMG. I'd be surprised to find a decent condition M-II Custom for less than $1600 US, whereas the DKMG might fetch - what, $600? There is a big difference anyway. We should probably compare the M-II to the DK1, or better yet, SL2H which both are made by Jackson USA.

If it really is a genuine M-II Custom in good shape, you sir have stumbled upon a steal of a lifetime :)
I have been seeing these model M-II's recently in the $700-$900 range. You can find them at good prices.

I think today there are so many neckthrough, quilt/flame, colorful, etc... guitars out there that an old plain black bolt-on is just not that popular.

WestOfSeven

Reaction score
Why not find a used usa soloist?

A good Jackson soloist is better than a esp. I've owned several of both.

You can find them for less than a grand used. I like ontarios the best.

Latest posts