ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I had a Hanneman JH-600 on pre-order for nearly a year only to have it discontinued. So, in retaliation i preordered an M-II :D

Specifically this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIIM2FMSTBLK--esp-e-ii-m-ii-see-thru-black

The E-II thing is slightly annoying but to me it will always be ESP anyway. Never dropped this much on a single guitar but really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Any thoughts? Are this things as badass as I think? I have a crap load of guitars at this point but I am expecting this one to be the cream of the crop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Hey guys. I had a Hanneman JH-600 on pre-order for nearly a year only to have it discontinued. So, in retaliation i preordered an M-II :D

Specifically this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EIIM2FMSTBLK--esp-e-ii-m-ii-see-thru-black

The E-II thing is slightly annoying but to me it will always be ESP anyway. Never dropped this much on a single guitar but really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Any thoughts? Are this things as badass as I think? I have a crap load of guitars at this point but I am expecting this one to be the cream of the crop.

Solid guitars. I’ve had a lot of guitars. A lot. A buddy of mine has had more. With very few exceptions we only have ESPs anymore.

They just work. I love the way the knobs feel, the way the neck feels, they’re just great guitars. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

Specifically this one:

E-IIs are fantastic. And they're super consistent. I've owned 4, played more than 10, and they've all been great.

All you're getting on the upgrade to original is nicer binding, slightly better wood for the fretboard etc. But 2x the price.

Stephan

Reaction score
E-IIs are fantastic. And they're super consistent. I've owned 4, played more than 10, and they've all been great.

All you're getting on the upgrade to original is nicer binding, slightly better wood for the fretboard etc. But 2x the price.

@FireInside : I personally think the M-II is one of their best models. The neck, proportions and overall feel is outstanding. Would love to try that specific model myself.

I‘m a huge ESP fan myself. I love my Eclipse of the standard series.
Are the E-II models indeed exactly objectively the same quality as their old standard series? Are they made at the same place they used to?

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
@FireInside : I personally think the M-II is one of their best models. The neck, proportions and overall feel is outstanding. Would love to try that specific model myself.

I‘m a huge ESP fan myself. I love my Eclipse of the standard series.
Are the E-II models indeed exactly objectively the same quality as their old standard series? Are they made at the same place they used to?

Yes, E-II is the exact same as the old standard series

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score

Specifically this one:

I have an EII Eclipse, love it. Maybe I missed it, have you tried looking for used? That Sweetwater price seems pretty high for an EII MII. Also, used Hanneman maybe?

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking of pricing, E-II have undergone a significant hike on their website, and last time the retailers were only a month behind. Buy them now if you can.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Anyone who has played lots of black or arctic metal LTDs:

Have they all consistently had nice fretboards and hemi-semi ball end frets? Agufish's EC arctic metal looked like it had insanely nice fretwork.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score

Have they all consistently had nice fretboards and hemi-semi ball end frets? Agufish's EC arctic metal looked like it had insanely nice fretwork.
Can’t speak for that series, but both my 1000 series do. The newer one has stainless frets to boot! I thought I had read somewhere that the BM and AM series were at 1000 series specs and QC.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Their ebony fretboards are nowadays stained. Or at least in my Eclipse it was. ESP CS responded to me the color is non-toxic and suggested cleaning, but the color made my fingers black & itchy, and it took 4-5 cleanings + a month of waiting to get rid of it until the color finally cured. At that point the fretboard was streaky. Also, the guitar felt insanely good to play initially, but I quickly got bored and noticed some weaknesses.

But people seem to like 'em, hopefully you have better luck :) If LTDs are an indication, M series have the nicest neck profiles, so there's that.

That guitar had way too big gouges in the fretboard next to those fret ends. Happens with a wrong file and/or fret end filing done too quickly. I've had a TE-1000 with the same issue, and seen it often. I returned that guitar. Some folks do not care, but be mindful of the possibility.

pahulkster

Reaction score

My black metal EC needed the ends dressed when I got it. Also needed the nut slots dropped by a good amount (low E was ridiculously high). I ordered a Korean one too but I guess that doesn't matter. Wasn't happy with Sweetwater for sending it out like that but they don't give a shit. Board only really shows anything but dark with a direct very bright light. Doesn't look out of place on a guitar that dark.

It's a nice guitar overall and I like it, but my E-II Horizon is a different level for sure.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score

nah my viper baritone 7 and the arrow/ec black metals I've played all had varying degrees of brown fretboards. Not a big deal for me since I ended up dyeing the fretboard.
Frets were not sharp at all but def not touched up to semi ball ends. That's mostly an aesthetic thing tbh. It doesn't have a huge bearing on feel.

olejason

Reaction score
Did they dye the boards in years past as well? I have a JH-600 from ~2004 and the board is uniformly pitch black.