EVH 5150iii 50w 6l6 (V.2)

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Whats up friends? So, I've been the proud owner of the original (V.1) EVH 5150iii 50w 6L6 head and matching cab. It's done me very well for the past few years, but as we all know, there's the volume jump issue between the green and blue channels. I was hoping to buy the EL34 version with the dual concentric knobs, but all I've read are reports of the blue channel not sounding nearly as good as the original 6L6 version. That is a problem for me, as I primarily play on the blue channel...So I wont be purchasing the EL34 version. Now that EVH has released V.2 of the 50w 6L6 version which also features the dual concentric volume and gain knobs, I'm thinking my prayers have been answered. But my question is, is the blue channel on V.2 sonically identical to the blue channel of V.1? Or did adding the dual concentric knobs to the circuit somehow alter the tonality.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
You can buy a dual concentric knob kit for your V1 from EVH/Fender.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
You can buy a dual concentric knob kit for your V1 from EVH/Fender.

I've heard it alters the tone of the blue channel? Maybe that's only the case for getting it modded without the official fender Mod Kit, by an independent company like voodoo amps.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Thats what I'm wondering. I want the dual concentric, but I dont want a change in tone and I dont want the EL34 version...and the 100w version is WAY too much for my needs.

Werecow

Reaction score
I've heard it alters the tone of the blue channel? Maybe that's only the case for getting it modded without the official fender Mod Kit, by an independent company like voodoo amps.

That's not true, it's a weird rumour going around. It arose from the fact that there is a mod you can ask to have done at the same time as getting the concentric kit fitted, that cleans up the green channel a bit, but at the same time affects how much gain the blue channel has (it lowers it a bit). This info is straight from Howard Kaplan, the lead engineer of the EVH 5150 series. He recommends stating to the service centre to not do the mod if you don't want the sound altered, even though the mod does not and should not come by default.

The retail V.2 of the amp with the concentric kit pre-fitted also does not come with this green channel cleanup mod, so both versions of the amp sound the same in their default configurations.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
That's not true, it's a weird rumour going around. It arose from the fact that there is a mod you can ask to have done at the same time as getting the concentric kit fitted, that cleans up the green channel a bit, but at the same time affects how much gain the blue channel has (it lowers it a bit). This info is straight from Howard Kaplan, the lead engineer of the EVH 5150 series. He recommends stating to the service centre to not do the mod if you don't want the sound altered, even though the mod does not and should not come by default.

The retail V.2 of the amp with the concentric kit pre-fitted also does not come with this green channel cleanup mod, so both versions of the amp sound the same in their default configurations.

Thank you so much for the information! Now i just need to find a qualified service center. most of the places I've called say they aren't qualified.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information! Now i just need to find a qualified service center. most of the places I've called say they aren't qualified.

Fender will give you a list of all the qualified (authorized is a better word for it, most places have the ability to do the work, just not the blessing from FMIC) service centers if you email them.

Meeotch

Reaction score

I have had my fair share of 5153 50w's. I had the original V1, eventually sent it to Kruse for a bunch of mods, sold it, and now own V2 6L6 because I missed the original hah!

Channel 1 (green) has definitely been cleaned up in V2. Channel 1 on V1 with gain maxed gives you a pretty raunchy overdriven tone with substantial break up. Channel 1 on V2 has less gain when maxed, and more clean headroom. I can't speak to whether this is the same as the "green channel clean-up mod" stated above, but my stock V2 channel 1 has been cleaned up compared to V1 Channel 1.

Now, channel 2 (blue) on V2 sounds identical to V1 to me. I was also concerned about this discrepancy but alas it is not so.

KailM

Reaction score
Whats up friends? So, I've been the proud owner of the original (V.1) EVH 5150iii 50w 6L6 head and matching cab. It's done me very well for the past few years, but as we all know, there's the volume jump issue between the green and blue channels. I was hoping to buy the EL34 version with the dual concentric knobs, but all I've read are reports of the blue channel not sounding nearly as good as the original 6L6 version. That is a problem for me, as I primarily play on the blue channel...So I wont be purchasing the EL34 version. Now that EVH has released V.2 of the 50w 6L6 version which also features the dual concentric volume and gain knobs, I'm thinking my prayers have been answered. But my question is, is the blue channel on V.2 sonically identical to the blue channel of V.1? Or did adding the dual concentric knobs to the circuit somehow alter the tonality.

I would at least try an EL34 version before writing it off due to the blue channel. It has a lot more low end and is looser than the 6L6 blue. Most of the reviews I’ve seen that complained about it were not tightening it up with a boost. I think a good OD could get amazing results out of that channel based on what I’ve heard.

Ironically, I’m considering trading my V1 6l6 version for an EL34 version, because I find the 6l6 blue channel to be useless compared to the red and either channel of my 6505. :lol:

Werecow

Reaction score
I have had my fair share of 5153 50w's. I had the original V1, eventually sent it to Kruse for a bunch of mods, sold it, and now own V2 6L6 because I missed the original hah!

Channel 1 (green) has definitely been cleaned up in V2. Channel 1 on V1 with gain maxed gives you a pretty raunchy overdriven tone with substantial break up. Channel 1 on V2 has less gain when maxed, and more clean headroom. I can't speak to whether this is the same as the "green channel clean-up mod" stated above, but my stock V2 channel 1 has been cleaned up compared to V1 Channel 1.

Now, channel 2 (blue) on V2 sounds identical to V1 to me. I was also concerned about this discrepancy but alas it is not so.

Hmm, i've not tried a version 2, but i was quoting Howard Kaplan on this.
He replies regularly to tech questions and queries, and one of the posts he talks about this in the comments is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1666017740393127/permalink/2191396551188574/

Meeotch

Reaction score
Yeah, I see his post in there. I'll believe my ears though, plus several reviews where I've read the same observation: channel 1 has been cleaned up on V2. It's something I've honed in on because I miss having all that gain on the clean channel, but at the same time the headroom is nice. Ultimately, no complaints here! Freakin' love this amp!

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Update: I found a qualified tech who has already performed the mod to a local musician, and with great results! The shop is right across the street from Berkley in Boston. And the whole cost is under $200! Sending it in after my gig this saturday!

Reactions: LCW

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
IMG_2691.jpg

Shes back, and she sounds AMAZING! The true potential of this amp has been awakened! The ability to set independant gain and volume levels for channels 1 and 2 has given me so much more headroom and potential for clean and crunch tones without sacrificing the tone of the blue channel (which by the way still sounds just as amazing as ever, the factory mod did not alter its tone). No more compromising! I get exactly the tone I want from each channel. Best $200 I've spent in a LONG time, and much better than buying a new amp!

JesperX

Reaction score
Yeah, I see his post in there. I'll believe my ears though, plus several reviews where I've read the same observation: channel 1 has been cleaned up on V2. It's something I've honed in on because I miss having all that gain on the clean channel, but at the same time the headroom is nice. Ultimately, no complaints here! Freakin' love this amp!

They could also have different tubes. A lower gain 12Ax7 or 5751 in the right spot would tame those channels a bit, and power amp tubes can also sound a bit different especially when you give it some juice and mess with the power amp res/pres controls.

hvdh

Reaction score
Could not get the Fender EVH 5150 III Dual Concentric knob Kit in Europe. Contacted Fender UK, Fender Germamy......."waiting, silence and bissy". In the end contacted Howard Kaplan and the only way was sending my amp to Germany. But that would cost me 250 to 300 Euro's. Not gonna do that.

But luckaly I have found a 6L6, which is BTW V1.0 with the mod kit already installed (I think).
To help maybe some people here who have been able to get the Mod kit here some gut shots from my 6L6 amp for connectiion ideas.

Last edited:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
All you have to do to make the el34 50w identical on the blue channel is clip one leg of C137. It's on the bottom of the board and easy to get to.

Latest posts