Evo-7 vs. Blaze Custom?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
I did a search but found no direct comparisons. From looking at Dimarzio’s site the tonal qualities and output seem very similar. I am wondering if anyone has experience with both in similar guitars. I’d really like to know how they differ in the real world because on paper they are nearly identical.

I have Evo’s in a few six strings and like them but don’t know how the seven string version compares. Also, the Blaze Custom is referenced here a lot but not too much on the Evo-7. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dimarzio EVO7 is my favorite bridge pickup from Dimarzio. It's got some really great harmonics and a nice punchy tone with plenty of good mids. Pretty hot output.

Not entirely sure about the Blaze Custom, but whatever Blazes I have (I think their just Blaze II's) are pretty well-balanced and powerfull. Not very bright. The D-sonic7 is brighter, but not by any means thin nor tinny, but full and balanced. The PAF7 is low output, yet very balanced. Through a solid state amp with distortion, it actually sounds pretty similar to the DS7, but clean, it's less dynamic and not as bright.

I also have some Swinesheads. The HT7B is similar to the Blaze Bridge, but with a little less output and a little more grunt, but less ballsy, if that makes sense. I like the HT7B for it's uniqueness, but my favorite so far, is still the EMG-81/7 for bridge a pickup.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

Reaction score
I always used a Evo7 in my 7s. I just recently popped in a Blaze Custom (last night). It's not disapointing if you were happy with your evos. It seems like the sound is only shaped a little different, more... controlled? dunno! it's great. And mine's red WOO

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Ryan said:
I always used a Evo7 in my 7s. I just recently popped in a Blaze Custom (last night). It's not disapointing if you were happy with your evos. It seems like the sound is only shaped a little different, more... controlled? dunno! it's great. And mine's red WOO
Interesting. Which do you prefer?

Ryan

Reaction score
I cant really decide yet ive have yet to try recording with it. They are really similar to my ear actually. The Evo has hotter harmonics though. I'll know soon :D

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got an Evo7 in my Stealth, and Blaze Custom in my RG1527, and I have to say I prefer the Evo7.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
I tried the Evo7 in my universe years ago, and found it was all right in a band situation,,,stand alone for me it was just to frik'n bright and loud. I hated how it sounded for recording and it really suk'd for practicing. Like I said it was great, even warm in a band situation. I personally like the Blaze custom better, it still cuts but has more soul.

~A

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I recently bought a new UV777BK and am thinking of swapping out the bridge pickup. I think it sounds good and has decent output but I'd like a wee bit more mids and perhaps a bit more highend as well. I'm finding pinch harmonics are more work than on my other guitars for some reaon but that's not a big deal as I can still get them just not as easily.

Ryan

Reaction score
If you think the stock UV pu's are good sounding but you just want a little more kick, then you probably want the Blaze Custom. ;D

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
I've got an Evo7 in my Stealth, and Blaze Custom in my RG1527, and I have to say I prefer the Evo7.
kind of a hard comparison though, the stealth is fixed bridge, neck through, whatever the body wood is(not basswood :lol: ) and the RG is edge pro 7, basswood, bolt on... would be interesting to see which pickup you preferred in the same guitar, but i know you wouldn't want to do that, nor would i :lol:

i've not tried the blaze custom, nor the evo 7, i've only tried an evo 6, and all the other blazes besides the custom... i know if i were going from a blaze bridge to a blaze custom i'd probably like the blaze custom more, but i know i loved what i heard from the evo 6, i can only imagine they made the evo 7 a bit tighter for the low end than the evo 6, so i'd probably like it plenty, love a hot pickup :lol: